Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 12:59 AM
Alberta Kris
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member

Hello from Alberta!

I will be purchasing my first Porsche,..actually my first CAR since high school. I have visited my local dealership (Edmonton Porsche) who are really really nice to deal with so far.

So far I have driven a 911 Turbo cab and a 911 Carrera cab. The plain Carrera cab was a standard transmission and I felt like I wash't enjoying the car as much do to worrying about shift points, rpm,..etc VS. the auto in the turbo cab.

Can I get some honest feedback from you owners on if that is or has ever been an issue for you?

I really enjoyed the auto gearbox in the turbo cab and felt like I couldn't have done any better shifting myself and got to enjoy the car much more.

Thanks,..Kris
Old 08-22-2014, 06:55 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Hi Kris,

That has never been an issue for me as I didn't get my first Porsche until I was 40 years old and had many years of driving sticks. I'd say if you like the stick don't not get it because you're afraid of the shifting….you'll be fine in no time and with practice, like anything else you'll get better.

Get the trans you like and congrats on the car….you'll love it!

Tom
Old 08-22-2014, 07:00 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

^^^ Yep! You will love the car either way. Both transmissions are great. If you plan to use the car as a daily driver, the auto may be more convenient in heavy traffic, when drinking coffee, when reading Google Maps, etc. But for interactive fun, stick is the way to go. As stated above, the shifting will become natural within a week or two.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:57 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Just one more thought…I purchased an old CJ Jeep in Florida (1985) and I had a choice between stick and auto and I chose stick and I'm so happy I did. I love shifting gears always….even in heavy traffic….I'm never sorry I DRIVE the car.

Get what you want…you'll be terrific in no time and then you'll have the trans and car you dreamed of!

Good Luck!

Tom
Old 08-22-2014, 10:35 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand the shift point thing and over revs. There is a safety net with the PDK or auto. But as they said above get what you want. When it is yours you should enjoy driving it like you want. As far a hunting for a car you might find that you will do better searching for yourself (if you are not already) on this forum, dealer lists, auto websites ect. It is good that they had you drive some to see what you might like. Search here for options that are "must haves" on previous post. Porsche loves ala cart cars. And btw you cannot drive/shift better than a PDk, very few can.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:59 AM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberta Kris
Hello from Alberta!

I will be purchasing my first Porsche,..actually my first CAR since high school. I have visited my local dealership (Edmonton Porsche) who are really really nice to deal with so far.

So far I have driven a 911 Turbo cab and a 911 Carrera cab. The plain Carrera cab was a standard transmission and I felt like I wash't enjoying the car as much do to worrying about shift points, rpm,..etc VS. the auto in the turbo cab.

Can I get some honest feedback from you owners on if that is or has ever been an issue for you?

I really enjoyed the auto gearbox in the turbo cab and felt like I couldn't have done any better shifting myself and got to enjoy the car much more.
Thanks,..Kris
Hi Kris,

Go with the transmission you prefer. Concerning the six speed, it's a very forgiving transmission in the 997, so i wouldn't worry about shift points, etc. at this stage. You'd be comfortable with in a matter of a few days - unless you really prefer the tiptronic. One other suggestion i'd make is to take your time about buying if you've only seen two p-cars so far in Edmonton. Are they both 997's?

Either way, plan to join your local chapter of the Canadian Porsche club. Check it out online. They have a lot to offer at virtually no cost.

Quick Reply: New Member