Sponsored by:

997S with x51 engine for sale....Is this a good deal

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 07:17 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
Default 997S with x51 engine for sale....Is this a good deal

UPDATE:8/18/14 - I was contacted by the dealer with the following response: "It's a 2WD Carrera S but some times VIN decoders are not very accurate, the engine had a problem and it was replaced for a compete brand new engine under warranty by Porsche North America." I will keep doing further research into this and keep you all posted!

Hello fellow Rennlisters,

While looking for my first Porsche it appears I'm on the fence at this point between a 997 C2S or saving further for my ultimate Porsche the 07-08 GT3RS.
That being said I just wanted to bring your attention the experts on the forum and those interested in finding a 997. I happened to stumble upon this deal from a shop in Woodlands, TX (suburb of Houston). Just wanted to gather your thoughts on this as it seems like a good deal? Couple things I noticed: it says AWD but the pics displays it could be a C2S. And that the engine was swapped to the x51. I'm still new to the Porsche world so I don't know how often these swaps occur. My initial question is why the swap to begin with.

http://autodynamica.motorlot.com/inv...arrera-s--2008

Last edited by 964Luftballoon; 08-18-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:23 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

10% off of that will be an ok deal. Why was the engine replaced? That could make quite a bit of difference.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:42 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2006 C4S with the factory installed X-51. This was a $16,900.00 option. The X-51 includes many items, all of which can be installed by a dealer (or reputable independent) after the fact. Just make sure this car you are looking at has all of the X-51 items installed (carbon fiber airbox, 3rd radiator, X-51 headers, different intake manifold, etc). If the car didn't come from the factory with this option (verifiable by the build sheet or Certificate of Authenticity), then you must exercise your due diligence and make sure they didn't just slap on the carbon fiber airbox and call it an X-51 engine. I don't see the 3rd radiator up front, so this is why I am mentioning this.

As far as a good deal, I think it isn't out of line for a dealership. That said, I think what hurts it is it doesn't have the original motor. Why exactly? That will be tough to find out. If originality doesn't bother you, then this may be a vehicle to consider. Also remember the rest of the car has over 46K miles, so it isn't really a 33K mile car. Considering it is at a dealer, I would make sure it is current on service (oil change, drive belt, brake flush, spark plugs, engine and cabin air filters). If it is not current, factor that into your offer price if it comes to that.

Sean

Last edited by Sniff; 08-15-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:06 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

X51 has the following upgraded parts:

- Cylinder heads with flow-optimized intake and exhaust ports
- Intake Manifold & Throttle Body - Increases inlet size from 76 mm to 82 mm
- X51 Headers - larger cross-section and optimized flow behavior
- Carbon Fiber Airbox with two intake channels
- Modified maps for the DME control unit
- Sport Exhaust with Chrome Tips & Dash Switch - (Optional)
- Third Radiator Kit (for manual transmission cars)
- Increased Engine Speed

Depending on your Carrera S's mileage, crankshaft/connecting rod bearings may need to be replaced at the same time (not included with this kit). Installation is approx. 50 hours.

It's a great deal if bought used as the premium is not much.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:28 AM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

X-51 engine is a bonus on any 911! No downside (except initial cost if you are ordering one!) Having said that, it is really barely noticeable when you drive one back to back w a strait S. So given the option, sure buy an X-51 car but not at the expense of some other issue such as mileage, colors, service record, location etc. and it won't bring a big premium on the resale market (as indicated w this car's price). Personally, I'd go for the 997.2! GL
Old 08-17-2014, 03:35 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Hi All,

Thanks so much for your replies and advice. Since I'm on the fence and kicking tires right now I did reach out to the dealer requesting more information on the vehicle. They will contact me on Monday as I've been told. If there is a way to sneak out of the office during the week I'll go see it in person. Like a couple have mentioned I'm curious to know more why the engine swap. Soon as I find out more details I will update my original post. Hopefully what I find may help any other potential buyers.

Thanks again for everyone's input. In all the different car enthusiast communities I've been a part of the Porsche community is by leaps and bounds so helpful to current owners and like myself future ones. There truly is no substitute.

Ryan
Old 08-18-2014, 03:55 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

i was contacted by the dealer today about my inquiry into the engine swap. Please see my original post for details. I will updated again as I collect more information.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:11 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

New engine a plus. They normally come with a warranty. Check the date of replacement.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:06 PM
3dogbrew
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny story, I ran across the same ad for the same car and asked Google to tell me what was in the X51 package and this forum post was in the top 2, right below the Sun Coast Porsche web page. Proof of what Infinet1 stated about this forum being a great resource of information and support.

This car looks a little sketchy to me which is why I was looking into it. Did you (Infinet1) follow up and actually inspect the car?
Old 08-26-2014, 03:21 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 198 Posts

A gt3 RS is a very big difference in price. Probably double.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:46 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Originally Posted by 3dogbrew
Funny story, I ran across the same ad for the same car and asked Google to tell me what was in the X51 package and this forum post was in the top 2, right below the Sun Coast Porsche web page. Proof of what Infinet1 stated about this forum being a great resource of information and support.

This car looks a little sketchy to me which is why I was looking into it. Did you (Infinet1) follow up and actually inspect the car?
Actually, I haven't had the chance last week as it's been crazy at work due to the new fiscal year starting in Sept. When I did speak to someone their shop is only open from 8-6pm Mon-Fri so if I can sneak out of the office early(shop is 1hr away from me) or take a weekday off I will go take a look. Even though I'm no longer interested in buying the car as I will just keep saving for the GT3RS. I am curious to see if it is truly an X51 engine. Based off the pics I can't see that third radiator.

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
A gt3 RS is a very big difference in price. Probably double.
Yes it is I agree. However, I've been saving for some time and have more than half of that cost saved up. Based on my wife's advice saving a little longer to get what I really want wouldn't hurt so that I can pay it off in one go. Then prolly get a loan(just kidding) to do the sharkwerks 3.9 engine. Till then I will just keep drooling over everyone's Porsche on this website LOL

Quick Reply: 997S with x51 engine for sale....Is this a good deal