Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche NA...What else should I have expected?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014 | 03:44 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarcoRemius
Technically you could bring it in for warranty with the claim that the BT doesn't work per the owner's manual. At that point, it'll most certainly be a Porsche NA problem (and at a Porsche dealer).
+1. I have no idea how in the world they can deny Warranty service when a car is still under warranty! Who cares where you bought the car.

As much as I love Porsche, PCNA attitude towards buyers is making me think very very hard if I should give them any of my hard earned money again!
Old 08-07-2014 | 03:49 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Agreed, but there are several posts in RL that yielded no success going though the dealership. I thought I would take a different approach.
I disagree with your approach actually, usually for warranty work you must go through dealers, even if PCNA agreed to do anything you'd still be going to a dealer, here's what you should do:

- Find the nearest dealer
- Take it for warranty work, stating Audio over BT doesn't work
- Dealer checks, verifies the issue
- Sends the summary to PCNA, they confirm the issue with PCM (hopefully)
- You get a new PCM?

If not, then you can take it up with PCNA... I guess you started it backward
Old 08-07-2014 | 03:52 PM
9114Scab
Instructor

Originally Posted by alexb76
I disagree with your approach actually, usually for warranty work you must go through dealers, even if PCNA agreed to do anything you'd still be going to a dealer, here's what you should do:

- Find the nearest dealer
- Take it for warranty work, stating Audio over BT doesn't work
- Dealer checks, verifies the issue
- Sends the summary to PCNA, they confirm the issue with PCM (hopefully)
- You get a new PCM?

If not, then you can take it up with PCNA... I guess you started it backward
Gonzo, Alex has a point there, why didn't you just do it that way? IMS issue(past issue) really has nothing to do with this, right?
Old 08-07-2014 | 04:00 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Not sure why the dealer was bypassed - PCNA usually only gets involved in approving/disapproving warranty claims after submitted by the dealers. I've never heard of going directly to PCNA for warranty claims...unless, of course, you're appealing a denial by the dealer to fix the warranty issue. Good luck with this - you're in the right...you just need to let the dealer carry your load here.
Old 08-07-2014 | 04:16 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

If you think you may have not asked at the dealer correctly. Try another dealer.
I always work dealer first, they are doing 5oo cars with head office. Head office doesn't care about the one sale to me.
Old 08-07-2014 | 04:37 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

The answer to both questions is yes. The manual in the car has the same info. I double checked online since I know that info can change with firmware updates and such so I was looking to see if the BT AUX could be activated a different way.

Kcheves, I understand your reasoning here, but their response to my email leads me to believe that if I had purchased the car new, then PCNA may have done something about this. The car is still under original warranty and I fail to see how their policy differs just because I am the second owner.

To be clear, if a warranted item were to fail tomorrow and PCNA declined to make the repair because I am the the second owner, well, they would have just created a litigious event.

They may have created a loophole, but if the manual clearly states the car has this function (and is not an optional feature like PSE, ventilated seats, etc) and the manual is specific to my model and year, then any reasonable person should expect this function to exist.

And for a minute, I thought Mr. Thomas thought so too...
I'm not trying to be an apologist for PCNA, as their communication with you has been badly bungled. But one question you need to ask yourself is how can PCNA make this right for you?

If I understand correctly, this isn't a feature that works in some 997's and not in others. PCNA cannot take a "non-defective" PCM unit from stock and supply it to you. Porsche cannot deploy product configurations that have not been fully tested, so taking a Cayenne PCM 3.1 unit and putting it into a 997, or creating an upgrade to the PCM 3.0 that adds Bluetooth streaming is extremely unlikely. Your original message to PCNA implies that the feature is not activated, but only Becker and Porsche are in a position to know what this would take, and the fact that they dropped it as a feature after writing the user manual suggests it may not have been trivial. PCNA did not help themselves by suggesting that an upgrade was available, but not to you!

FWIW - My PCM manual has the following disclaimer:

"There may be some differences in equipment and
technology with respect to the illustrations and
descriptions due to the ongoing further
development of the systems and the different laws
in individual countries.

The equipment versions shown are not always
included as standard. Some of the functions
described in this operating manual are optional
equipment and may not be available in your PCM.
If this is the case, the relevant menu items will not
be available to you."

If yours has something similar, PCNA could have leveraged this in their response and not looked quite so stupid.

Good luck pursuing this.

Kit
Old 08-07-2014 | 04:49 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by kcheves
I'm not trying to be an apologist for PCNA, as their communication with you has been badly bungled. But one question you need to ask yourself is how can PCNA make this right for you?

FWIW - My PCM manual has the following disclaimer:

"There may be some differences in equipment and
technology with respect to the illustrations and
descriptions due to the ongoing further
development of the systems and the different laws
in individual countries.

The equipment versions shown are not always
included as standard. Some of the functions
described in this operating manual are optional
equipment and may not be available in your PCM.
If this is the case, the relevant menu items will not
be available to you."

If yours has something similar, PCNA could have leveraged this in their response and not looked quite so stupid.

Good luck pursuing this.

Kit
This disclaimer is what I thought Porsche put in the owner's manual. I just hadn't had time to look at mine yet. I guess this is Porsche's "get out of jail free card."
Old 08-07-2014 | 04:54 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

You will get no where with this.

You are wasting keystrokes on it.
Old 08-07-2014 | 05:12 PM
Minok
Drifting

Reiterates rule # 1 for "I want a product with feature X":

#1) Before purchasing product, personally validate the product does have feature X, or a refund of purchase price policy.
#2) See rule #1.
Old 08-07-2014 | 06:04 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
You will get no where with this.

You are wasting keystrokes on it.
We'll see.
Old 08-07-2014 | 06:12 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
If you think you may have not asked at the dealer correctly. Try another dealer.
I always work dealer first, they are doing 5oo cars with head office. Head office doesn't care about the one sale to me.
Regarding all the advice to take it to the Dealer, I certainly will if necessary. Note, there is only 1 Porsche Dealer in AZ.

After reading all the threads about this issue, not one owner has had luck at the Dealer level, so this is why I took this approach. You have to admit that Mr. Thomas has led me to believe that if I purchased the car new from the Dealer, then they may have been more proactive.

His email to me, I believe, has created an opening here and I will leverage it until I can't. He has not replied as of yet to my request for further explanation on his logic for denying my request since I am a second owner.

The Dealer will be my next option, but only when I have another issue that needs attention. I will lump it in with my next oil change or when something else goes wrong.

I appreciate the input, and I will continue to keep you all updated. Regarding the disclaimer in the manual, well wouldn't it be nice if a simple disclaimer could legally keep any of us free from liability in whatever it is we do. No disclaimer of any quality will protect any entity unless it was acknowledged in writing and agreed to prior to consummating a transaction.

I didn't do that and I am sure, neither did any of you.
Old 08-07-2014 | 06:31 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

No disclaimer of any quality will protect any entity unless it was acknowledged in writing and agreed to prior to consummating a transaction.

I didn't do that and I am sure, neither did any of you.
Since when does an owner's manual guarantee that a particular feature is on a car?
Old 08-07-2014 | 07:16 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Warranty claims always go through the dealer network.

May be Thomas thinks he is denying a claim from Scottsdale Bentley. Regardless, manufacturers cannot grant any claims without involvement of their dealers.
Old 08-07-2014 | 07:32 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
Warranty claims always go through the dealer network.

May be Thomas thinks he is denying a claim from Scottsdale Bentley. Regardless, manufacturers cannot grant any claims without involvement of their dealers.
Again, I agree with all that have suggested I go to the Dealer, but I don't think I will get anywhere with them, but I will find out eventually.

Let's remember that Mr. Thomas responded to my letter asking for the VIN and the Dealer where the car was purchased. If what you and others are implying is the case, then I believe he would have simply sent me to the Dealer as part of their protocol.
Old 08-07-2014 | 07:35 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Since when does an owner's manual guarantee that a particular feature is on a car?
They don't. Optional features are listed as "Options". My issue was not referenced as an option. My car does not have PSE (although I wish it did!). PSE was an option and of course, I would not expect it to be featured in every car.

Quick Reply: Porsche NA...What else should I have expected?