Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preventive Maintenance outside of Porsche program

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014 | 10:53 PM
Scanav
6th Gear

Default Preventive Maintenance outside of Porsche program

Looking for suggestions for preventive maintenance outside Porsche program . i.e. wear component R&R, diagnostic ect. (08 S2, manual 80 K miles)
Old 08-07-2014 | 01:44 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

I think if you stick to all the items listed in the major service checklist (engine oil/filter, gearbox oil, brake flush, cabin air and engine filters, drive belt, spark plugs, etc.) and don't exceed the recommended intervals, you should be fine. Once an issue pops up outside of that, get it addressed quickly. That said, I personally think some of the Porsche recommended service intervals are a bit too long, so I perform those jobs a bit more often (I'm not willing to wait until 120K miles to do my first gearbox oil change).

Many recommend preemptive water pump replacements as that is a known failure item. Mine gave out at 17K miles, so with your car at 80K I'd be surprised if you still have your original one. Also after your next oil change you may want to get an oil analysis from Blackstone. That should give you some idea of the health of your engine. Other things to consider are installing a lower temperature thermostat, but guys who do that usually do it in conjunction with the water pump replacement.

The 997 is really well built and very easy to maintain. Certainly the most carefree sports car I've ever owned.

Sean

Quick Reply: Preventive Maintenance outside of Porsche program