Washing your car

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 12:01 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Washing your car

Hey Guys,

What does everyone use to wash your 997s, and how often? I've seen a variety of products out there and was curious on the following:

- How Often do you wash the car
- Wax the car
- Bucket of Soap and Water, or one of those hoses with the soap cartridge
- Any specific techniques or things to watch out for with these cars?
- Any specific towels you use or recommend?

I've just been shopping around and Meguiar's looks like they have some good products, was thinking about getting their:

Meguiar's G7164 Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner

Meguiar's X3002 Microfiber Wash Mitt

Meguiar's X2020 Supreme Shine Microfiber Towels (for when I wax and interior work)

Meguiar's X2000 Water Magnet Microfiber Drying Towel (for when I dry)

Am I thinking too much about this? hah
Old 08-05-2014, 12:20 PM
3point8
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

you can never think to much about this. for the first 18 months of ownership I washed it twice a week. mostly meguiar's products. mitt and two buckets, one with soap, one to rinse. Lately I've been averaging 1.5 times a week. probably too much but it looks great. I only wax quarterly.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:22 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

just read up on this two bucket method, do you use some type of "grime" guard or something in the bucket so that the dirt doesnt get mixed back in?

What do you use for towels, just a good quality microfiber towel, or one made specifically for drying? Not sure if they are trying to add a marketed up towel when something like a microfiber towel works the same
Old 08-05-2014, 12:23 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do yourself a favor and sign up for autogeek forum. You'll learn a ton.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really proper washing comes down to minimizing micro swirls in the paint. You'll notice them in the sun especially on a black car. Most people seem to think they are normal but they are not. A properly washed vehicle will have minimal if any micro swirls. The only way to get rid of them is through a polish which removes some of the clear coat. Clear coat is a limited resource so it's not good to do it too often so washing becomes an important part of minimizing swirl marks.

- I wash twice a week because the car parks outside as the garage is already full of garage queens :/
- Wax it when it needs it...when water doesn't sheet off anymore it's time. Depends on the wax you use, the one I'm using lasts about 6 months on outdoor parked vehicles. Waxes can last between one week and up to 8 months depending on the wax
- Bucket wash, always. Foam cannon as well. 2 buckets with grit guards. One for soapy water and one for rinsing the glove. Also 2-3 wash mitts. Car is dirtier and more gritty closer to the road surface.
-Nothing specific to watch out for it's just automotive paint.
- Microfibre for drying and buffing. I only use swissvax towels. They're 30 dollars but once you hold one and compare it to a 5-10 dollar microfibre the difference is night and day.

I think Meg's products are fine but I don't use them. I have a giant collection of detailing stuff in the garage and I've found what works for me:

-Polishes - Menzerna - FG 400 for heavier cuts(wife's car needed it), SF 4500 for any light swirl marks I pick up on my vehicles.
-Clay bars -Griots garage clay OR Nanoskin fine...really just started with the nanoskin, far superior to clay IMO
- Shampoo - Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II - It's super slippery, works great in the bucket and cannon. Smells good.
- Towels - Swissvax microfibres and swissvax drying towels
- Wash Mitt - Chemical Guys MC_491 multi fibre wash mitts
- Wax - Swissvax PTFE

I could really go on and on as that's just a small sample of the products I use but it covers what you've asked about.

Detailing products are a highly contentious subject. I have no brand loyalty I've just found what works for me, your mileage may vary.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 200 Posts

I wash about once a month depending on home much time the car has been on the road.
I've been using chemical guys soap in a spray gun.
I do an annual clay bar and seal with zaino brothers.
Then I do a monthly wax of p21s. Just to keep,it wet looking.

After each drive I use a diluted solution of Optimum no rinse wash. I spray the car down with a spray bottle. Then spray a microfiber towel. I wipe the car down so that each side of the towel only touches the paint once. It takes about 3 towels to accomplish this.
Then I give it a spritz and wipe down with chemical guys shine.

My car is an 06 and I've had it for almost five years now and I've never polished it. The paint looks great in fact someone recently asked me if I wet sanded it. I have some subtle swirls on the hood and roof but I feel like I only get so many polish jobs over the life of the car so,I'll just leave them for now.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:51 PM
Ezkill
Racer

This is what a 50/50 panel on a black car looks like before and after polish. This is under high lighting and looks extremely severe but this is pretty average for a black car washed at car washes. You often don't see the extend of this unless the sun hits it just right. My wife's car was about the same as this vehicle this weekend until I took care of it. Preventing this is easier then fixing it!
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2014, 02:31 PM
tigerspill
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezkill

2 buckets with grit guards.
Hi,
Maybe a stupid question but what is/are grit guards?
Thanks
Old 08-05-2014, 02:49 PM
9114Scab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Griot's products, but Meguiar's is fine also. I wash my 2012 4S cab twice a month. My car is a garage queen.

Buy the best products you can find, the car deserves quality applications. (Microfiber only, and be aware, you can put swirls in the paint with microfiber) I believe Meguiar's has all kinds of videos ,about how their products should be used, follow those videos.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:59 PM
PTParks
Instructor

Originally Posted by tigerspill
Hi,
Maybe a stupid question but what is/are grit guards?
Thanks
Grated/slotted inserts that fit above the bottom of a wash bucket. They provide a good surface to scrub the sponge or mitt against while rinsing to dislodge any captured grit and such. The insert allows the material in the water to settle to the bottom of the bucket; keeping the water that the wash mitt or sponge is exposed to somewhat cleaner, supposedly.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:16 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I use ONR, two buckets and no hose (I can wash it in the garage). Wash once a week, Opti-Seal once a month

http://www.optimumcarcare.com/onrwns.php?li=2
http://www.optimumcarcare.com/oseal.php?li=4
Old 08-05-2014, 03:34 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I Use McGuire's gold with lots of suds and a soft mitt. Porsche wheel cleaner in a separate bucket w a scratchy sponge and a Griots lug cleaner and inner wheel "feather" cleaner. A separate (3rd) bucket w lots of clean water to rinse the chamois often. I spray the whole car (minus the convertible top if it looks clean) with semi hi pressure water hose, wash in shade in sections, frequent rinses, do wheels last. I use paper towel to dry wheels and exhaust tips, and sometimes the engine compartment. I always wipe dry the door jams, hood edges, and engine lid edges. I wash about every 7-10 days and wax spring, summer, and fall. Also apply leather conditioner to all leather 2x a year. But cleaning glass is still a mystery to me! Thoughts there?
Old 08-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Power wash it down get all the crud off, add soap mix to power washer, blow discs out with leaf blower, wipe with micro fiber towel, add lippy to wheel rubber.....done
Old 08-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
I But cleaning glass is still a mystery to me! Thoughts there?
Easy easy ...

Amazon.com: Stoner 95161 Invisible Glass Reach and Clean Tool: Automotive Amazon.com: Stoner 95161 Invisible Glass Reach and Clean Tool: Automotive

Their glass cleaner fluid is also fantastic but in a bind windex will do. I just use their's as it's cheap and seriously no streaks, ever.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:39 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I use ONR, two buckets and no hose (I can wash it in the garage). Wash once a week, Opti-Seal once a month

http://www.optimumcarcare.com/onrwns.php?li=2
http://www.optimumcarcare.com/oseal.php?li=4
Hmm interesting, what exactly does the opt-seal replace? Does it work with Optimum wax, or its an alternative to wax? I went ahead and bought Optimum soap and wax but maybe I should get this stuff instead

Quick Reply: Washing your car