Sponsored by:

Washing your car

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 06:41 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mwolfe
I have always worried about the low/no water washing products. I always think that the grit on the car is not rinsed off and the swirl marks would be bad.

What has been your experience?
I use plenty of water - a bucket with 4 gallons + 2 oz of ONR and then a rinse bucket. Never any problems - have used on a black car for 4 years.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:38 PM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts

Zymol car wash
Zymol HD Cleanse
Zymol Creme Wax
Old 08-05-2014, 11:56 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

Leaf blower to dry. Look Ma -- no towels!
Old 08-06-2014, 04:40 AM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm curious if any of you guys use detailing spray. What are your thoughts? If I missed it, I apologize. I use these products with great success, but then again my car is only a fair weather, early morning, weekend driver which means it never has a chance to get dirty. I just use it to get the dust off. My car is also seal gray metallic, so perhaps that color hides swirls better than some of the dark, non-metallic colors.

For me, I just spray a fine mist on the car and wipe off with a clean microfiber towel. I have tons of those towels on hand so I am always careful to make sure I am wiping with a clean side. I can usually get the car done with a little over 1/2 a bottle.

Sean
Old 08-06-2014, 07:49 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Sniff
I'm curious if any of you guys use detailing spray. What are your thoughts? If I missed it, I apologize. I use these products with great success, but then again my car is only a fair weather, early morning, weekend driver which means it never has a chance to get dirty. I just use it to get the dust off. My car is also seal gray metallic, so perhaps that color hides swirls better than some of the dark, non-metallic colors. For me, I just spray a fine mist on the car and wipe off with a clean microfiber towel. I have tons of those towels on hand so I am always careful to make sure I am wiping with a clean side. I can usually get the car done with a little over 1/2 a bottle. Sean
I use Optimum Instant Detailer, after a traditional hand wash though. I feel like it makes the paint gloss just a tad more, though I do have Opti-Coat on the car for a couple years now as well which has kept the paint in good shape. I may use the Instant Detailer on its own if the car has accumulated garage dust over a few days, but not if it's been on the road.

Using a QD as the main cleaner really depends on the level or dirt and grit on the car. Why not use Optimum No Rinse instead to be safe? It's slicker creating more lubrication.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:19 AM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezkill
Easy easy ...

Amazon.com: Stoner 95161 Invisible Glass Reach and Clean Tool: Automotive

Their glass cleaner fluid is also fantastic but in a bind windex will do. I just use their's as it's cheap and seriously no streaks, ever.
I have been using "invisible Glass cleaner" for 2-3 years! I don't have the "reach tool" but with the top down and windows up it is easy to reach everywhere except rear window. Invisible Glass still doesn't clean w/o streaks in my opinion, and has to be wiped dry very thoroughly to look even mildly good. Thanks all the same!
Old 08-06-2014, 11:40 AM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
I have been using "invisible Glass cleaner" for 2-3 years! I don't have the "reach tool" but with the top down and windows up it is easy to reach everywhere except rear window. Invisible Glass still doesn't clean w/o streaks in my opinion, and has to be wiped dry very thoroughly to look even mildly good. Thanks all the same!
The tool is probably what makes it less streaky, I simply don't get streaks. You use a little and rub it with the microfibre bonnet and all the streaks disappear. I imagine with the way the sponge and microfibre put pressure against the glass evenly it helps out a lot. Glass cleaner + paper towels have always left streaks for me.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:52 AM
9114Scab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D1coach
Zymol car wash
Zymol HD Cleanse
Zymol Creme Wax
I'm a big fan of Zymol also. Those are good products also.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

props to so many of you guys answering OP's question. my response would be so long he wouldn't want to read it lol...
Old 08-06-2014, 01:44 PM
Swoody
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using Chadwicks triple play waterless wash and absolutely love it! Great system, super easy. (no affiliation). The water here in Phoenix is so hard and dries so quickly it is near impossible to not have to deal with spots after a wash, even when using my leaf blower to dry. I have started using Wolfgang Fuzion wax and am really impressed with the results of that as well. For my glass I am using "Sprayway SW50" glass cleaner and it KILLS Stoners invisable glass IMHO. I had so many streaks with Stoners and would have to go over again and again, as tht is one thing that really bugs me is streaks or a foggy residue left on the windshield.

Last edited by Swoody; 08-06-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:54 PM
tigerspill
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PTParks
Grated/slotted inserts that fit above the bottom of a wash bucket. They provide a good surface to scrub the sponge or mitt against while rinsing to dislodge any captured grit and such. The insert allows the material in the water to settle to the bottom of the bucket; keeping the water that the wash mitt or sponge is exposed to somewhat cleaner, supposedly.
Thank you.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:12 PM
FFSstavros
Advanced

While there are lots of products listed in the thread, depending on your previous wash routine, this video and series is awesome.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:35 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks a lot for everyone's feedback and recommendations
Old 08-11-2014, 05:44 PM
jasvoboda
Instructor

I use Rejex airplane wax. Best shine ever!
Old 08-11-2014, 07:05 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Agree with FFSstavros. I met Larry from AmmoNYC at a DE a few months ago. He's an amazing talent and wealth of knowledge on maintaining or even restoring the finish of most any paint or condition. I've used various products including Griots with their machine polisher, very safe unit, and have been very happy but I'm switching over to some AmmoNYC products as I type this.

I saw some of his products in use between run groups and was amazed how it was able to safely remove track bits between run groups.

Just my .02

Quick Reply: Washing your car