Sponsored by:

Southern California Roads

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014 | 05:37 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Repeal Prop 13?
Don't even get me started on 13. Beginning of the end of the "old California" (great schools, excellent roads, fine service from local & state agencies, etc.).

The two biggest mistakes were not indexing it to inflation (rather than the 2% max increase now mandated) and the commercial side. Left lots of money on the table there.
Old 08-28-2014 | 08:17 PM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by will gaston
Prius drivers are a haughty bunch.
I notice that Prius drivers try to drive like they have a sports car on the road. Personally can't stand Prius and other e-car drivers (minus Tesla drivers. Now that car got *****).
Old 08-30-2014 | 01:00 AM
tbrom
Racer

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Okay, okay--let's not be down on the Prius drivers. There are a few who are good guys, but they're also the ones texting from the left lane. I see that every day.
Yep, right along with women in big fat stupid SUVs because they are so "safe", right-brother....I see all kinds of stooges texting and they surely aren't all driving a Prius.

To say Prius owners are "haughty" - now you know this is a Porsche forum right so no one would make any disparaging remarks about them but in other parts of the world of cars some might say the same about Porsche owners. But who cares - I don't get the idea of knocking somebody cause every car they own isn't a Porsche or because they own a whatever.

Last I checked this thread was about roads in CA which most in the snow zones of America would die for! FL drivers too....it's all about having fun driving, right?
Old 08-30-2014 | 02:20 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tbrom
Last I checked this thread was about roads in CA which most in the snow zones of America would die for! FL drivers too....it's all about having fun driving, right?
And those of us in Canada, at least Ontario anyway.
Old 08-30-2014 | 11:49 AM
tbrom
Racer

Originally Posted by SToronto
And those of us in Canada, at least Ontario anyway.
I bet you guys in Canada have some pretty great roads too - at least they have to be picturesque. Living here in FL I really miss mountain roads - at least the ones in NC, North GA and Tennessee.

One day I hope to drive the Pacific Coast Hwy in CA, Oregon and Washington! Oh, and of course in a Porsche! I've had 3 and am still waiting on the right car to come along.
Old 08-30-2014 | 12:26 PM
Ezkill
Racer

There is always some sort of compromise.

Living in Alberta(Canada) had it's benefits. Clear, clean, wide, level and nearly empty roads. A 2AM blast out to the airport on beautiful 6 lane highway and not seeing another car for 10 minutes at a time. Absolutely pristine and fantastic. Couldn't ask for cleaner or nicer roads. For 4 months of the year. The other 8 months? Gravel, snow, sleet, potholes from freeze and re-freeze. -40 temperatures(works in both fahrenheit and celsius) because yes it was that cold.

Contrast that to Los Angeles and it's a hard choice. Hard to find empty roads here with the population of California alone being roughly equivalent to the entirety of Canada. The road surfaces are rougher and the transitions and patches are done badly between joined road surfaces. Concrete patched with asphalt and not very well. Still, you can drive all year round and the canyons, drives and scenery are hard to beat. Driving back from Monterey through Big Sur on the PCH when I picked up my car brought a tear to my eye.

You always end up compromising. I will personally take the somewhat rough and sometimes crowded roads, especially come November when odds are good I'd be shoveling a few feet of snow out of my driveway just so I could get one of the winter cars out of the driveway. Having lived 26 years in Canada and now 3 years in LA, I'll take the LA roads. I enjoy my cars all year round instead of going out to stare at them in the heated garage for most of the year.
Old 08-30-2014 | 12:49 PM
tbrom
Racer

Originally Posted by Ezkill
There is always some sort of compromise.

Living in Alberta(Canada) had it's benefits. Clear, clean, wide, level and nearly empty roads. A 2AM blast out to the airport on beautiful 6 lane highway and not seeing another car for 10 minutes at a time.....from Monterey through Big Sur on the PCH when I picked up my car brought a tear to my eye.

You always end up compromising. ...... I'll take the LA roads. I enjoy my cars all year round instead of going out to stare at them in the heated garage for most of the year.
Makes me shiver to think of -40 - wow - glad I live in the sunny south. I do miss the mountain roads of my old home state of GA. The roads there are very good and patched well. GA has to have a balanced budget too - so the state runs very well. I lived in Atlanta for 63 years and I only wish it was run in the same fashion as the state!!! It's not and FL is a great place to retire. I just want to get another Porsche and finding the one that fits the budget and the options I'm looking for is proving to be very difficult but I shall persevere!

I want to drive that Big Sur road from Monterey very much! I've been to Carmel and it is quite lovely - I'm sure you don't miss Canada too much. Happy motoring!
Old 08-30-2014 | 01:16 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Originally Posted by tbrom
Makes me shiver to think of -40 - wow - glad I live in the sunny south. I do miss the mountain roads of my old home state of GA. The roads there are very good and patched well. GA has to have a balanced budget too - so the state runs very well. I lived in Atlanta for 63 years and I only wish it was run in the same fashion as the state!!! It's not and FL is a great place to retire. I just want to get another Porsche and finding the one that fits the budget and the options I'm looking for is proving to be very difficult but I shall persevere!

I want to drive that Big Sur road from Monterey very much! I've been to Carmel and it is quite lovely - I'm sure you don't miss Canada too much. Happy motoring!
I used -40 as an example because that's where the scales meet so it's an easy interpretation for both the Americans and Canadians. We would routinely get nights with windchill taking temperatures down to -70 Fahrenheit

I'm confident you will find your car. It's a sometimes long and arduous search but you will find the ideal car. As the seasons are now changing I expect prices to level off and start to drop. You may end up buying a deeply discounted snow state car. A lot of those cars have never been out in the snow or rain and reside in garages all winter. Generally cheaper and lower mileage as well.

That Big Sur road was an experience. I think I found it fascinating because the last time I did that drive was in the back of 1987 Ford Taurus with my parents on family vacation many years ago. Was a little bit of a contrasting experiencing doing it as an adult in a 911 I had literally just handed over a check for 30 minutes previously. Very memorable experience.
Old 08-30-2014 | 02:24 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Th roads in Ontario are nice paved surfaces but you need to drive a fair bit (1+ Hour) out of city areas to get anything scenic, long, not populated. In Ontario it's not easy to find nice twistys, elevations etc. that are reasonable distance from your house. I'd bet Alberta as commented, BC, Northern Quebec and East coast have potential but the weather becomes a factor.
Old 08-30-2014 | 09:43 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

this thread made me laugh.

we have some of the best driving roads in the country! anyone mention Angeles Crest HWY, Angeles Forest HWY, Upper and Lower Tujunga, the famed 58 between the coast and mid-state, Ortega HWY, Pacific Coast HWY, Idylwild, Malibu Canyons, and those are just some of them here in the southland!

as for those mocking fun at the Prius, you're all wrong, they're fantastic automobiles and even fun to drive. yep, deal with that!
Old 08-30-2014 | 10:08 PM
tbrom
Racer

Originally Posted by oalvarez

we have some of the best driving roads in the country! anyone mention Angeles Crest HWY, Angeles Forest HWY, Upper and Lower Tujunga, the famed 58 between the coast and mid-state, Ortega HWY, Pacific Coast HWY, Idylwild, Malibu Canyons, and those are just some of them here in the southland!

as for those mocking fun at the Prius, you're all wrong, they're fantastic automobiles and even fun to drive. yep, deal with that!
I'm keeping this one for the road references when I finally get the magic 911 I'm seeking and drive to CA. Or maybe I'll tow it out there with my Prius to save the miles...: ). Naaaa. If there is anywhere I could live if money was no object it would surely be southern CA. A car guys dream!
Old 08-30-2014 | 10:10 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Originally Posted by oalvarez

Agree on the roads. Actually debating where to go for a drive tomorrow and have lunch. LOTS of choices.

Prius, lol. Fun - sure for some folks. If you fancy feeling like you're sitting on top of a car while being in an aquarium I guess they're plenty of fun . Different strokes for different folks but between the lack of noise, personality, handling, acceleration, road feel and the back the the future interior layout I don't find them at all engaging. Practical? Absolutely. Fun? No.

Quick Reply: Southern California Roads