Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 02:10 PM
niner niner seven
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The video that Philster posted above is actually pretty good. I actually did go out and buy an airbrush but never used it since I could fine tune w just a small paint brush.

I was able to find this one that a guy recommended in the 993 forum. I think it was around 40$ at a general paint store.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...r-success.html
Old 07-30-2014, 04:41 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're concerned about future resale impact, I'd also recommend taking before/after pictures so you can show how minor the damage was to any prospective buyer.

-Chris
Old 07-30-2014, 05:09 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly future re-sale is a minor concern. The more likely scenario is my wife will simply take the car when I move on. She loves the car but doesn't want to drive it until I'm done with it. I'm a little bat**** crazy about condition and she tends to pick up a minor bumper scuff once in a while. It's not a good combination(for her) and shared vehicles. Currently we have 5 vehicles and she drives 2 of them, the 3 fun vehicles she doesn't want to drive. This sounds a little one sided but it's a decision she made early on in our relationship. She's happy with her Z4 and SUV combination. She's not a car person and doesn't get excited by cars. However, she really loves the Porsche and now there has been talk of a possible Boxster Mini purchase if this car is ever released.

I talked to Dr. Colorchip on the phone and determined what I'm going to do to start off with. They do not recommend the use of a filler putty at all. I poked around in the scratch and it's not as bad as I initially thought due to the fact that it's somewhat obscured by torn paint. What prompted this thread yesterday was that during a careful wash some of the already torn paint came off the vehicle. I had errantly assumed the gauge went into the plastic but it does not. Since it's literally just missing paint I'll trim the hanging paint with a razor blade. Knock down the rough edges with a bit of wet sanding and then squeegee some Dr. Colorchip into the gash and level it off with their system. If this makes the repair a 2 footer or less I'll leave it be. If not I'll move on to filler/touch up paint/air brushing or whatever else.

I'll ensure I take pictures to document the process and keep them around in case of future re-sale.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:44 PM
danit
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with trying to fix the scratch instead of having the whole bumper resprayed especially where it is. For resale nothing freaks folks out more than finding painted panels on a Porsche. It did me. Someone can easily see why a touch up was done over why the whole bumper was resprayed. You still have options if you don't like it at that point.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:10 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
The airbrushing technique is interesting but the guy working on the gray car should have masked the entire area surrounding the damage to protect from overspray. That was a half assed job, IMO.
And he left a little spot on it too.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:48 AM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carrera white will be a relatively forgiving color when it comes to a DIY repair. I would DIY, disclose it to the next owner who can have the bumper re-sprayed if they like. If you hate the DIY repair then have the bumper done.

Are you sure that paint thickness can be measured on a plastic bumper?

Quick Reply: Paint Scratch