Sponsored by:

Mk II Ipad Mini holder for 997 'Leather Equipped' cars

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 09:11 PM
Nielsen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mk II Ipad Mini holder for 997 'Leather Equipped' cars

So a few weeks back I made a holder for my wife's iPad Mini G4 (the one that takes the SIM card and thus has full GPS function--even without purchasing a monthly plan). Several of you pointed out that it would interfere with the safe operation of the passenger air bag--which I had not considered. Dohhhhhhhhh........... I just finished making the Mk II version, which sits below the air bag, in the event of it inflating. I made this one out of thin sheet steel from Home Depot--simply because they didn't have any aluminum. All the cuts are with a Dremel and heavy duty cutting wheels (I went through 10!!!). Hopefully the photos show the fold directions. If not, send me a PM. I've added self-stick pads to the 'feet' where the holder touches the glove-box, and also a strip of it where the holder could contact the leather. The whole thing simply clips over the edge of the leather and has no other securing points. Thus it is instantly removable, and leaves no trace/damage. I have yet to drill a hole through the left-hand securing lip so that we can run a charging cord from the iPad to the charging receptacle in the footwell.
Attached Images      
Old 07-15-2014, 07:16 AM
Captsteve123
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks nice! Did you ever think about making the IPad holder something that clips to her visor? My wife is 5 foot 1 inch and complains that my visor is too short and useless when the sun is positioned in certain angles.
Another person posted about his Leather dash is peeling up, I guess the glue is not holding. Have you thought much about how the rear part of that holder make create pressure on the leather lip, and glue. I like the concept, I just know that the factory really stretches that leather tight as I watched that in the factory tour when I was in Germany.
Regards,
Old 07-15-2014, 11:15 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

While I can appreciate the effort. It looks well made. Air bag in the face, or air bag in the face with iPad mini. Makes as much sense as those 5 lbs tissue boxes on the back shelf. In an accident if your not killed by the sudden stop, 5 lbs tissue box in the back of the head will. Be careful redesigning you interior.
If your passenger less, your passenger airbag should be off. Perhaps a tether down to your glove box? To keep it safer.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:37 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 564 Likes on 335 Posts

very cool!
Old 07-15-2014, 11:40 AM
Nielsen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never thought of the iPad on the visor. Good idea, though. I wonder if it wouldn't be more awkward to use than when it is right in front of you.

The idea of a tether for the iPad holder is great. Just some sort of clip-on thing which would guarantee that in the event of a roll-over, the holder could in no way come between the air bag and the passenger.

Thanks for the ideas!
Old 07-16-2014, 04:16 PM
Captsteve123
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's another mount system that may work as well.
Seasucker mount for IPad! Google it!

Enjoy

Quick Reply: Mk II Ipad Mini holder for 997 'Leather Equipped' cars