Sponsored by:

A Targa in Florida???

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 12:19 AM
tbrom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Targa in Florida???

Just curious what you Targa owners would say to owning a Targa in the Orlando area of Florida. It's hot here in FL in the summer as many of you know and I'm wondering if I would be crazy to own a Targa here? Do any of you Targa owners live in hot climates? If so what are your experiences and would you advise someone living in FL to buy or own a Targa?

Thanks everyone - sorry to be the guy with questions all the time but I am trying to find the right car. Looking for a C2 with PASM and Sport Chrono and PDK and any other good options that I can get of course and there are surely plenty of good options but I had ruled out the Targa because I live in FL - now I'm seeing more Targas out there? Your advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-10-2014, 08:51 AM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure why you would rule out a targa based on weather alone. I prefer to put the windows down and open the sunroof just about every time I drive my car, so I'd say it depends on you and whether you're the type of person that likes open air driving or not. There's plenty of convertibles driving around Orlando too. After the summer is over it's top down weather for most of the year here.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:34 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

Yup, after September the weather starts to cool of a little. You/we have around 8 months of good weather. Go for it!!
Old 07-10-2014, 10:02 AM
Luckymba
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hunt3R
I prefer to put the windows down and open the sunroof just about every time I drive my car...
I do this too. In fact I've driven with the windows down and sunroof open all week (if you've been in Orlando it hasn't been the best week for that with 94+ weather and rain). The only thing I'm not sure about with a targa is cabin heat when you get in from sitting in the sun all day. As far as "open" driving goes you could get time in almost anytime you drive it.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:47 AM
tbrom
Racer

Originally Posted by Luckymba
I do this too. In fact I've driven with the windows down and sunroof open all week (if you've been in Orlando it hasn't been the best week for that with 94+ weather and rain). The only thing I'm not sure about with a targa is cabin heat when you get in from sitting in the sun all day. As far as "open" driving goes you could get time in almost anytime you drive it.
This is what is bothering me a bit - it's the cabin heat from sitting out with all that glass up there.

So far all the guys that have been nice enough to answer aren't targa owners I don't think. Looks like you have sunroof coupes which is what I've been looking for. I gave up on Targas because I thought they'd be too hot here in FL. I hope some targa owner chime in.....
Old 07-10-2014, 02:54 PM
r_32
Instructor

I have a targa and while I don't live in Fl I do live in the Midwest where it can get fairly hot and humid.

I don't think there is a question it gets hotter than a regular sunroof, but the shade for the top does help pretty significantly. The rear window seems to get more sunlight though. My daughters ride in the back sometimes and if too hot they can't deal w heat so I turn on the air.

If you like the mixed look and functionality of the targa (as I definitely do) I wouldn't let geography get in the way of that. The shade makes up for enough of the heat difference that I wouldn't let it bother me.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:32 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

While I can appreciate the design and function of the Targa. I don't like open drives that much. I have a tinted coupe, and rarely have the windows or sunroof open. To me, it is often too hot, too humid, too sunny, too windy, too dusty. I get enough UV's on the golf course, or tennis court.
Plus too much traffic...
Old 07-10-2014, 08:15 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

While I can appreciate the design and function of the Targa. I don't like open drives that much. I have a tinted coupe, and rarely have the windows or sunroof open. To me, it is often too hot, too humid, too sunny, too windy, too dusty. I get enough UV's on the golf course, or tennis court.
Plus too much traffic...
I am surprised it isn't too hot, too humid, too sunny, too windy, too dusty on the course/court. They do make good sunscreen these days. I am stuck inside with rooms without windows way too much, I love the open air drive to work and home. Even if all the above happens to be true some days. But the sun does set every night and that is when it changes from good to great.
OP wish I could help but I do not have a targa, wife drives a sunroofed car, it does add some heat, but not enough for me to avoid such cars.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:12 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by chris.hanle
I am surprised it isn't too hot, too humid, too sunny, too windy, too dusty on the course/court. They do make good sunscreen these days. I am stuck inside with rooms without windows way too much, I love the open air drive to work and home. Even if all the above happens to be true some days. But the sun does set every night and that is when it changes from good to great.
OP wish I could help but I do not have a targa, wife drives a sunroofed car, it does add some heat, but not enough for me to avoid such cars.
Praise the lord!! I never get these questions

With 100 degree weather any car is going to be hot inside. Open the door. Put the AC on. When its cooler open the top. Seems pretty simple to me but I am a cab guy who puts the top down even on the occasional times its gets to those temps in Toronto
Old 07-10-2014, 09:44 PM
9114Scab
Instructor

A Targa would be fine in Florida. It's not too hot there for a targa . You'll be fine, enjoy.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:08 AM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

I've owned a 87 Targa in Orlando. Summer days are brutal but winter and fall and any evening are Glorious top off times.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:13 AM
tbrom
Racer

Originally Posted by vern1
Praise the lord!! I never get these questions

With 100 degree weather any car is going to be hot inside. Open the door. Put the AC on. When its cooler open the top. Seems pretty simple to me but I am a cab guy who puts the top down even on the occasional times its gets to those temps in Toronto
Do you have a Targa? Toronto- you mean it even gets above 85 there? Man you are obviously not the guy I'm looking to hear from on this question.... but thanks anyway. If I lived in the NW or Canada or even New England - I wouldn't be posting this question.

I do appreciate the rest of you guys - nice to hear your reactions especially from those that live in the Southeast.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2014, 11:21 AM
Techbod
Track Day

Targa 4S in L.A. Weather here is more mild/dry than Orlando, but it's sunny and hot almost every day. Car is warm when left in the sun, but that should not stop you from getting it. The A/C and ventilated seats work really well, and the roof glass and shade repel a lot of energy. A clear UV tint on the front and rear glass would probably work wonders - considering doing it myself, actually.

And, the Targa glass bubble open on a clear night, or closed in the rain, is incredible. Actually, that's why I don't covet the 991 Targa - the closed but bright cabin is a specials diving experience (granted, it's now available on practically every Lincoln, Tesla, Rover, BMW, etc. But as sports cars go, unique).
Old 07-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the AC in these cars is very effective- one of the best out there actually. even on 95+ degree days I can get it "too cold". even with the extra glass on the targa, I think the ac will easily keep it cool
Old 07-11-2014, 01:30 PM
mwolfe
Advanced

My Targa 4S doesnt seem any hotter than any other car after sitting in the sun. Take that with a grain of salt--I live in Seattle. But it is comparable to other cars. I think the Targa is a great compromise between the coupe and the cab.

Quick Reply: A Targa in Florida???