997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Targa in Florida???

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014 | 01:38 PM
tbrom
Racer

Thanks Techbod and Mr. 914 you are giving me encouragement and I believe you guys.

Now hopefully techbod will be reading this as I do have a question for you - knowing you live in one of the best places in the world to find great roads to whisk around on like Mulholland Drive to name one - what's it like carving in a targa? I've always felt it would make it even cooler to canyon carve - like maybe out in CO or Utah or lots of places. What say you of your experiences?
Old 07-11-2014 | 02:52 PM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Hey Tim
My old dark blue Audi gets hotter, faster than the silver Targa does when parked in the sun, even though the Audi has an off-white interior and the Targa has cocoa.
All that dark metal is a pretty effective radiator. Static heating is substantially a function of car color.
On a hot day when the A/C is preferable to having the roof open, the Targa is every bit as comfortable as our Audi or Touareg. And that's without using the vented seats. I / we rarely deploy the Targa shade, except on rippin hot days, with the sun nearly overhead. It works well.
Cabin comfort while driving on hot days is virtually the same as anything else. And that's without using the vented seats!
(As you know) I think the utility, flexibility the view and the overall experience in the Targa is phenomenal. What you 'get' is way more than what you 'give up'. But that's my score card.
If my primary desire was for a purists' track car, I'd ditch the PDK and go for a coupe. Maybe an RS if I didn't mind the ride every day. Maybe I'd sacrifice looks and noise if the key focus was top-down driving.
Go toward what you like best. There's no perfect. Just trade offs. An RS isn't going to shake your teeth out. The cab isn't going to make you deaf.
And the Targa isn't a toaster oven. Not even close.

Last edited by RennlistTomE; 07-12-2014 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-11-2014 | 04:02 PM
Vape NYC
Instructor

As long as no rain is in the forecast, you can leave the targa roof cracked slightly to keep it cool while parked. Have done it a few times this summer and was surprised how cool the car was getting into it, and mine is black. I love the targa. I also saw a 2014 Targa here in the city cruising around. Looks amazing, but I needed the hatch back.
Old 07-11-2014 | 04:11 PM
r_32
Instructor

I am sure there are some people who can tell the difference based on the higher weight profile but I can't. Most concerns these cars have and the relative trade offs between models are strictly on the margin. Get what you like and you will be happy with it. If that is a targa, all the better.

The open air feel even with the roof closed is pretty spectacular. I wasn't set on a targa when I found mine and now I have even grow to love the slightly different lines.
Old 07-11-2014 | 06:26 PM
Minok
Drifting

The Targa lets you cool the car off likity-split. Open all the windows and the roof and its at ambient. Then get in, turn on the A/C, and the seat ventilation, and wear a cap if its a head sunburn issue and enjoy. And if it starts raining mid afternoon... you can shut that roof at highway speeds, as well as open it up again.
Old 07-13-2014 | 12:37 AM
0-Steve
Advanced

Tough call. I wouldn't underestimate the direct Florida sun. Do you have a car with a sunroof now? Leave the shade open and see how it is.

One solution could be to tint the roof 20% to decrease rays. I have it on the windshield of my daily driver and it GREATLY reduces the heat.
Old 07-13-2014 | 01:25 AM
Techbod
Track Day

Yes, Mulholland, Sunset Blvd., various canyon roads, and the new, ribbonlike on- and off-ramps of the 405 are all just roller coaster tracks en route to wherever in going. I tend to watch the road, but I'm sure my passengers love the enhanced view.
Old 07-13-2014 | 01:30 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

If you love the sun and heat, go for it. Otherwise, it's gonna be like a greenhouse. A/C will cool the cabin down, but the top area above your head will be constantly hot. I don't have personal experience with a Targa, but I have lots of experience with the panoramic roof in the VW Tiguan and Touareg.
Old 07-14-2014 | 02:34 PM
vern1
Race Car

Originally Posted by tbrom
Do you have a Targa? Toronto- you mean it even gets above 85 there? Man you are obviously not the guy I'm looking to hear from on this question.... but thanks anyway. If I lived in the NW or Canada or even New England - I wouldn't be posting this question.

I do appreciate the rest of you guys - nice to hear your reactions especially from those that live in the Southeast.

Thanks
Ya you're right it never gets hot in Cda

I guess you missed the irony of you criticizing the guy on his brake rust question and then asking this question

I still think my original "advice" works. If its too hot then cool it down. Kinda like up here in igloo territory. It does get cold but doesn't prevent me from having a cab (sorry no targa). If its cold, I turn on the heat and the heated seats, if its hot.....wait for it....do the opposite

Enjoy the Targa

Quick Reply: A Targa in Florida???