Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 with kids - does having back seats enable you to drive the car more?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014 | 07:04 AM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Went from a Cayman to a C2S Cab. I have a 14 year old daughter, and we often cram in for short trips that used to require me to take a different car. It's surpringly useful, even in the cab, where the rear seat backs tilt forward more than in the coupe.
Old 07-02-2014 | 08:27 AM
r_32
Instructor

I have two daughters 4&8 and we use the back seat all the time. Last weekend drove about 50mi to a Pcar show with the whole clan and all had a great time. It opens up more possibilities than not having it and that flexibility is pretty useful. I would hate to have to choose certain times to either take a different car OR take a daughter someplace with me.
Old 07-02-2014 | 09:36 AM
MuffinMan
Instructor

+1 for all of the above. The rear seats make this a "family car" for my little guys (4 and almost 2). I found it to be a hassle to fit a rear facing seat in there (although others have done it), so I waited until the older one was front facing, and the little one will join us in a couple of months. I love taking trips in the 997 on the weekend that would normally be left to one of the dd's. Prior to this car, I had a highly modified '77 911 with no rear child seats ( there was a roll bar back there), and the car saw very little action after the first child was born. It was a cherished car that I had for 15 years, but it was so unused due to the child seat issue that it was almost useless to me. I swapped it out last year for a 997 and while it was very sad to see the classic 911 hauled off into the sunset, ultimately it was a very wise decision. The whole dynamic of the stable has improved.
Old 07-02-2014 | 10:49 AM
Psymon
Racer

ABSOLUTELY!

My 7-year old son loves being in the 997. And we take this car out so frequently that I wanted to make sure my son is as comfortable (and safe) as possible, so I custom-made a booster seat for him. It fits perfectly & steadily in the back seat, and allows him to sit high enough to look out thru the windows.

Name:  IMG_7377.jpg
Views: 13833
Size:  44.4 KB
The following users liked this post:
funnelofdoom (01-11-2024)
Old 07-02-2014 | 11:08 AM
nyone
Intermediate

Daughters, 5 and 3, love the cab. With them in the back, I feel like roller coaster ride operator.
Old 07-02-2014 | 11:24 AM
eviligloo
Pro

It's the only reason I'm able to get a Porsche in the first place! I wanted a new cayman S but my wife nixed that because we'd never use it since we always have kids with us.

Went on several test drives with the kids and they absolutely loved it. When I switched to let my wife drive my daughter didn't want to get out of the car so she went on the test drive with mommy too.

Originally Posted by Psymon
ABSOLUTELY!

My 7-year old son loves being in the 997. And we take this car out so frequently that I wanted to make sure my son is as comfortable (and safe) as possible, so I custom-made a booster seat for him. It fits perfectly & steadily in the back seat, and allows him to sit high enough to look out thru the windows.

Attachment 849752
Nice work there! You should make a business out of making those!
Old 07-02-2014 | 11:29 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Back Seats

Absolutely yes, far more useable. My wife and I have 2 kids - 6 & 9. She uses her C2S as her daily driver, which has the kids in and out of the back seat constantly - to and from school, dance, tumbling, T-ball, Soccer, Basketball, etc.

When I bought mine, I looked around at other 2-door cars that were both sporty and had a useable back seat, and aside from an M3, there really aren't any. I was pretty set on a Nissan GT-R until I took my little guy with me to the dealership, but the front seat whee it would need to be for me to drive normally and then got out and looked at the back seat, which left 3" for his knees and legs at the front edge of the back seat. In my C2S he has more like 8" which is fine.

We removed the OEM leather seating parts from the backs of both our cars - 1 because we didn't want the surfaces to get scratched up from the boosters sliding around on them, 2 becuase we didn't want anything accidentally spilled on them, and 3 because without the seat backs in place, which are fairly vertical (even more so in the cabs) the back of the booster seats would angle back a little and be more comfortable. We folded up a large black bath towel and put that down where the leather seat bottom used to be and then put the booster seats on the towel which also catches anything that might spill before it makes it to the car carpeting.

My car has the adaptive sport seat plus (a couple of the photos are from before I changed to these) and the kids actually prefer my wife's standard seats since they're narrower at the top and they can see past hers out the front windshield better, but I love my adaptive sport seats and wouldn't change them for anything. Since I have a lot of carbon fiber trim in my interior I purchased dome cf look vinyl and covered the back section of the sport seats with it so the original paint on the back of the seats doesn't get scratched up from their shoes.

We found a perfect and inexpensive booster with a high safety rating at Wal-Mart of all places. What makes it so good for the back seat is that the base of it tapers to a narrower bottom than the width at the top of the cushion. It also has side wings for head protection at the top, which the kids like if we take a longer trip because it gives them something to rest their head against to take a nap. The whole top section with the sides is adjustable for height and this is also what the shoulder belt runs through so it keeps that in the proper position as well. They come in black with either silver or pink trim which is perfect since both our cars have black interiors and mine is GT Silver on the outside and hers is pink pearl.

When we pull up to places and get out, people are amazed that we use these cars like family cars and even more amazed that there are full size booster seats in the back.
Attached Images      

Last edited by Petza914; 07-02-2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Additional photo & text
Old 07-02-2014 | 11:35 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Nine and eleven year old sit back there 3x a week for school delivery. Maybe 1-2 pick ups a week. Eleven year old likes his buddies to see him being picked up in the fancy car. Last week, golf trip. Two sets of clubs. Last spring? two leaf blowers...
With some planning you can get lots back there. One 305/30/19 and one on the passenger seat.
To me, I always buy a car with the intention of selling it. 4 seaters are easier to sell too.

Last edited by BIG smoke; 09-08-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-02-2014 | 12:12 PM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

You guys have inspired me.

Psymon, can you sell more of those boosters?

Petza914, how easy is it to take off the back seat bottom?
Old 07-02-2014 | 01:02 PM
3point8
Rennlist Member

I have a two year old who sits behind me and a 2 month old who sits behind the passenger seat (where my wife sits). The kids are basically sitting on top of the engine and the speakers are literally blasting Ted Nugent in their face. I'm assuming they can hear the music but I'm not sure as the sunroof is open and the windows are down.
Old 07-02-2014 | 01:33 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

The back seats are the #1 reason I'm in a 911 vs my beloved 2 seater sports cars from my pre-kid days. The extra room even without the kids makes it a legit daily driver for me. Grocery runs, etc. are easily accommodated. My girls (11 and 9) easily fit so 4 of us can take a cruise of up to an hour or so before the back seats get too confining for them. We have a minivan for the long hauls.
Old 07-02-2014 | 02:08 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Agree with everyone. No kids here but essentially the back seats have made the car an extremely viable daily driver which was the entire point of buying it. I generally take the dogs to the dog sitter a few times a week and that could not happen without the back seats. The two kennels would not fit on the front seat.
Old 07-02-2014 | 02:10 PM
Lance-AR
Instructor

The back seats turned my 4 year old into a gearhead.
Old 07-02-2014 | 03:07 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

No deliveries in a two seater...

Last edited by BIG smoke; 09-08-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-02-2014 | 03:27 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Yes, extremely useful, I had to pickup my boy from pre-school 2 days a week, without the backseat. I would need to drive the SUV. Now he's 6 and I have a 11 boy so I take them around in my 997. Take them to car shows, etc. I got a call from my sis-in-law in the middle of the night while I was out with my buddies, picked them up and took them home. They are 5'2ish so they fit back there. Can't take the entire family though, I also have a 2 year old girl. 5 of us will not fit in the 997 unfortunately.

Quick Reply: 997 with kids - does having back seats enable you to drive the car more?