Sponsored by:

911 Carrera GTS 2012, Sebring Laps

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 05:54 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by carlostmata
Cloudspin, I usually have two hero3+, one mounted on the wind child and one on the rear looking up front. That's the video I uploaded.

Hi Mike,
I'm looking forward to your post to watch some laps. I was using R888 in the front and the Continental ContiForceContact on the back (I could not find the R888 for the rear tires). I was pleasantly surprised by the Continental, although the R888 have perhaps better grip. I'll welcome any feedback you can give me on anything (lines, braking, etc.) You can probably see the rpms from the video, I usually brake a little early and don't push the car much on the turns. I use the stock brake pads and I can get through two weekends (16 track sessions) with one set of brake pads and about four to six weekends with a set of tires (I have tire rack thermal cycle them and that helps tremendously). I wish there was an easy way to filter some of the wind noise out, so that the camera mic can capture the engine noise. I have not come up with anything good yet.
Cool...yeah you need to get equal tires at all 4 corners for sure. If you are running 19" then R888 will work not the greatest because they heat cycle out fast but they work....Pirelli Trofeo is miles better in grip but they need around -3 camber up front and if your suspension is stock most you can get is -1.3ish. R888 have super stiff sidewall and will work fine at -1.3ish. If you move to a set of track wheels in 18" then you can run Nitto NT01 which are really really nice.

I do promote braking a little early in a stock type of car and balancing the car with the brake into the turn with a nice smooth brake release....but there is early braking that is way to early and there is proper early braking...and then late braking which can upset the balance of the car especially with amateur drivers like we are. So slightly early...balance the car into the turn smooth release not to up set the car is best and fastest and smoothest.

Seems like you are using a GoPro?...wind noise is a problem for sure...louder exhaust helps though...HA HA! I use Race-Keeper as my data system and the mic is on a long cord so I can move it around and get it out of the wind and my exhaust is somewhat loud since I removed PSE.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:06 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Ok lets see if this posts here as a video... here are so 2:27 laps at Sebring. I need to find my last session there as I picked up a little more with more speed under the bridge Turn 17. The laps here are from last year.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:13 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Here are some laps with my coach Chris Hall...he was doing 28-29's with my 230lbs butt in the car and on R888....take me out of the car and Nitto NT01 and he would be doing 26's easy maybe a 25. I am about 5. to 1 sec off my coach....he is a pro I am not..LOL. However for you solo drivers I highly recommend his coaching.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:18 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
The way my feet work with the 997S pedal set I can't heel/toe on that car to save my life. I just figured out how to do it on my Mustang at Road Atlanta 2 weeks ago, and now my corner exits are very strong. I get home sit back in the 997 and try to practice heel/toe in my garage with it parked, and it's not happening.
See attached for some pedal kits that make h & t'ing much easier. Had them on my 996 and they were great.
http://www.rennline.com/Manual/products/314/
Old 07-01-2014, 06:33 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Para82,
I use the paddle shifters, I really like the PDK on the GTS... I'll most likely be doing Daytona at the beginning of November next.
Daytona is an easy track but very fun. Love that place.

Couple of warnings though for you...the track is super super fast and high G's on the right rear tire in NASCAR T3-4....so:

1- Take new or use 2 day DE event tires. I highly suggest good R-Comp tires built for sustained speed.

2- Run the air pressure higher by 2-3 lbs on the right side tires. So for example Nitto NT01 at Sebring in our cars like 32 hot...at Daytona I'd run left side at 34 hit and right side 36 hot pressure. Street tires with softer side wall even a little high hot pressure. This take the abuse out of the sidewall. I got to talk to Hoosier and Michelin tire engineers for a while 3 years ago during a PBOC racing and DE event. They didn't care I wasn't running there tires but there where lots of blow out at NASCAR T4 so there was a big meeting and discussion on tires and temps and alignment and then the engineers walked the pits answering questions. After that people changed some thing and the remanning 2 days where fine.

3- You need less camber at Daytona than other tracks. Depending on the tires you run...I ran R888 last time there a couple years ago and ran -2 up front and -1.6 rear and tire wear was really good. I've seen too many guys show up with Sebring camber and blow out tires

4- A 997 Porsche Carrera based car will go into PASM fail mode between NASCAR T3-4 at above 125mph. It is real easy to hit 135mph+ if you come out of the Bus Stop correctly. So what happens is PASM goes from Sport/Sport Plus to normal mode and PDK is no long in Sport or Sport Plus mode and PDK shifts up to 7th gear...YUCK!...odd feeling. The ECU Yaw sensor thinks the car is flipping over on the 33 degree banks at a certain speed with the wheels running different mph and this sustained speed. So I just ran Daytona in Normal mode let the fail lights flash and when you turn the car off and back on everything is fine....until you hit 125+ in NASCAR T3-4 then the lights all flash again.

5- There is a fix for this PASM fail issue....John over at BGB can do the fix and I think it's around $2k. I never did this because I don't run Daytona all that often and I'm not sure I am keeping my GTS more than 1 more year.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:31 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloudspin
See attached for some pedal kits that make h & t'ing much easier. Had them on my 996 and they were great.
http://www.rennline.com/Manual/products/314/
Thanks good suggestion. These look a lot more user friendly - just ordered.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Ok lets see if this posts here as a video... here are so 2:27 laps at Sebring. I need to find my last session there as I picked up a little more with more speed under the bridge Turn 17. The laps here are from last year.

Sebring 27's - YouTube
Love it!
Old 07-01-2014, 09:01 PM
carlostmata
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,
Many thanks for your advice. I'm still not sure if I'll be going to Daytona or to Sebring again. I may go to the upcoming Sebring event with PBOC. Can you share Chris' information? I'd like to talk to him. When is your next Sebring event? Thanks.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Chris Hall
Drive for Success
678-571-3632
Www.chrishallracing.com

I've done two days with Chris this year, most recently at Sebring on June 7th. He is an excellent coach and a great guy!
Old 07-01-2014, 11:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

^^^^^ Cloudspin...to the rescue...thanks !
Old 07-02-2014, 08:17 AM
carlostmata
Intermediate

Cloudspin, thanks for the info. I see you've done some upgrades to your car. Anyone you'd highly recommend?

Mike, have you done any upgrades to your suspension? Your GTS seems to have a stiffer drive than mine. Thanks for all the info.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:36 PM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mdrums - great videos. I'm comparing it to my Racekeeper videos. My 997.2 S is stock, street tires and brakes, and I'm pretty much driving DE lines, but using trail braking unless an instructor objects. I'm running a little under 3 minutes at Sebring, assuming not a lot of traffic, so there's plenty of room for improvement.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Cloudspin, thanks for the info. I see you've done some upgrades to your car. Anyone you'd highly recommend?
Carlos,
I left mine stock for the first 15 or so track days I did with it. I was using MPSS tires. It is a really capable car out of the box and the GTS is even more so. Once I started slipping down the infamous slope, it went in this order - PFC08 pads, second set 19" wheels w/ grippier tires, used GT3 sways / Tarrett drop links, Girodisc rotors, center radiator, 18" CCWs w/NT01s, IPD plenum, used 997.1 GT3 rear deck / wing and FVD front lip. These were done incrementally over a two year period. Slope started out as a green at Vail and turned into a double black at Snowbird or Alta.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:22 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Great videos. Thanks for posting them.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:41 PM
carlostmata
Intermediate

For those 911 Carrera GTS drivers and those who just love Sebring, I just got back from Sebring this last weekend with NASA. I'm hoping I'll be posting some videos soon. Saturday was wet and I had a couple of sessions in the wet. I didn't video tape the very first two sessions since it was raining hard and I was busy doing some other stuff and didn't get to setup the GoPro. But, I was able to video tape a few laps with the track pretty wet. Coming soon.

Quick Reply: 911 Carrera GTS 2012, Sebring Laps