Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 997.2 C2 or C4 PDK vs. 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack and Recaros

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 10:51 PM
Ags 911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of great advice here! Not much to add, but this.... I bought my used 2009 when the economy was recovering and not seen as good to drive up in to see clients. I bought it to be my DD. The people judged me on who I was, which was a gear head and Pcar lover. They knew that my purchase was a dream for me and they were sincerely happy for me. If you are a jerk and egomaniac, then it won't work out well with other employees and those around you. But you seem level headed and humble, and you obviously want to serve others with your career decision. My 36 year dream has been more than I ever expected. You have done the research and you feel the time is right financially, go get the car! You will be surprised at the nice response you get.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:44 PM
svt1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ags 911
A lot of great advice here! Not much to add, but this.... I bought my used 2009 when the economy was recovering and not seen as good to drive up in to see clients. I bought it to be my DD. The people judged me on who I was, which was a gear head and Pcar lover. They knew that my purchase was a dream for me and they were sincerely happy for me. If you are a jerk and egomaniac, then it won't work out well with other employees and those around you. But you seem level headed and humble, and you obviously want to serve others with your career decision. My 36 year dream has been more than I ever expected. You have done the research and you feel the time is right financially, go get the car! You will be surprised at the nice response you get.
Good reply-

I own a small contracting company and owning a Porsche for me was a major PR concern of mine. I get remarks when I drive it to the gym or other places where people I know congregate, and it bothers me a tad, and even if they are "joking", I will say that this is one car that draws all kinds of negative stereotypes about it's owner. Those who know me, know that I'm a diehard car guy who loves to track all my cars, so they "get it" and that's cool. But I navigate car ownership conversations with clients who are "car guys" because I don't want to be judged by them ignorantly. Since the OP says he is in the non-profit industry, I'd really carefully consider the outward appearance that pulling up to meet a donor and getting out of any model Porsche will impact his view of you, and that applies to a brand new Mustang as well

My advice is to go with a 997.1S and not break the bank. It's a great car. Pick up a cheap, used GTI as a DD, or somewhat fun to drive and inconspicuous. Additionally, I would not drive the 911 to work. Once it's out there that you bought a 911, you invite all sorts of criticism that will not in anyway serve to benefit your cause.

I am a huge Mustang guy by the way. My other weekend toy is a 1987 Mustang GT with 510 rwhp. That car gets more attention than my Porsche and it's all positive too, with no judging scowls of any sort! Lol. Well, no judgmental scowls at least around my parts, which is rural-working class people. Might be different in the suburbs with the searing whine of the supercharger and smelly off road exhaust, ha!

My vote is for the Porsche, and that you enjoy it humbly!
Old 07-02-2014, 01:12 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

As others mention...I would play it safe. You work for a non profit the optics of you rolling up in a Porsche aren't good. People already think non profits pay their employees and executives too much and in some cases it's true. The donors worry is how much coin goes to admin vs the cause, you may perpetuate that perspective. Maybe your existing external colleagues would understand but what about new donor and clients? Get a DD that is subdued enough and use that for work since you can't "hide" the Porsche in your work environment. Use the Porsche for personal use outside of work. My .02

Edit - just read part of the thread over...just drive your Forester to work and get the pcar for outside of work.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:29 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
OP if you can do it I suggest you get both cars. A V8/flat-6 pair will scratch just about every itch.
Para82 nailed it, that is my combo as well, I love them both for different reasons.

I think many are underestimating the 2015 Stang, it is supposed to be equal to the Boss 302, that is unreal.

Based on your situation I would keep the WRX and buy a 87-89 Carerra (Unreal Car that will appreciate in value) or go Mustang. When your in a better financial situation go for a 997.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:43 PM
bpang1
AutoX

Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
He asked for our personal opinion so that's what he's getting. Now all the mustang owners are getting upset because we are "bashing their brand". Classic...
Happens in the Mustang forum I posted to so the ones here basically balance it out.

Originally Posted by Ezkill
Or some mustangs will outperform about any Porsche in any situation, but meh, that's just semantics I guess. There is a Nissan out there too that will smash most supercars 3-4x it's cost in almost any situation as well. We should ignore it because it's a Nissan.
I think I wrote earlier, I was VERY surprised when I cross-shopped same year 911 vs. GTR...the GTR is holding it's value way better (if you look at 911s that when new cost the same as a GTR).

Originally Posted by Ags 911
This will honestly be the biggest part of my choice. There is a certain stigma that I can imagine will exist. I know the people that would typically see my car would know why I have it...because they know I'm a gear-head.

Will just drive the Forester when I know I am going somewhere that will see my car and I have less of a relationship with them.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:18 PM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Have you driven a Mustang GT recently. You mentioned getting an Auto so I assume that is for both the 911 or Mustang. I drove the 5.0 Mustang GT and to be honest, was disappointed. I expected it to really move out off the line. I dont know it if was the lack of refinement or if the power is just slower to build but either way I left the test drive thinking i either get a manual transmission or something else. I dont know if this is just the nature of Ford Automatics because the previous gen, 2004, I had in a GT 5 speed and it was torquey and great off the line, albeit stiff clutch pedal. My cousin had a similar year automatic and you would think they were two completely different cars. The Auto was so slow compared to my manual. To get the car to move out off the line you really had to mash the gas immediately and keep your foot in it, whereas the manual always felt on the edge of spinning the tires. I love both cars for very different reasons but here is the bottom line. If you buy a 911, you will never regret that purchase, albeit an expensive repair but get a extended warranty and that will eliminate the concern. Buying a Mustang you definitely cant go wrong but likely you will always want something more from it, more power, wish I had the GT500, etc, etc, etc. I'd say what is your goal and go from there. Overall I feel like the 911 will give you a well rounded abundance of everything you want from a car.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:37 AM
bpang1
AutoX

For the Mustang I would have to go manual...they aren't offering the performance pack in the automatic unless you get the "50th Anniversary Package" which I don't want to shell out for.

I just feel like it's MY TIME to get a really cool car for once in my life. My daughter is young enough to comfortably fit in any 2+2 car and I still have the SUV for weekend hauling. I am literally sitting on 2 extra cars beyond that Forester that I intend to sell which will be about 75% to 80% of the cost of a 997.1. The rest, I have.

Worse comes to worse, I will get the Mustang. The last gen. is rated as reliable by Consumer Reports and getting a new one I will have a warranty. If the new one's PERFORMANCE is what I expect it to be (blows the Camaro SS 1LE out of the water and puts many high-dollar sports cars on notice) then it makes the decision pretty hard.

The 911 is my dream car though...love for it will likely trump what I just wrote above. Will definitely get a PPI and an extended warranty for it. Don't expect to mod the powertrain very much at all...probably just intake and exhaust. Most of my upgrades would be suspension-related but nothing too crazy this time. Don't want to go as extreme as my last couple of WRXs which are now so hard riding that I hate driving them on anything but backroads or on track.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:32 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Just so you're aware those mods do nothing for performance, thought you might want to know in advance, this car does not respond well to mods. I have many mods, they are for looks and sound, although my exhaust did help the rear Lose 20 pounds or so.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:45 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Looks like your gut is saying 911, do it, worst case you sell it a year or so later for a Stang.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:46 AM
bpang1
AutoX

Yeah I figured as much in regards to the intake and exhaust after I wrote that...probably just exhaust if I don't like the stock tone. I keep forgetting it's a modern naturally aspirated car. So used to turbo'd cars at this point.

Hell I would be happy with some good brake pads and stickier tires.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:20 PM
Phoenix604
Banned

I want to see that vid of you in your boss302!!! YouTube tells me it's private??!! Please!!!!!?????
Old 08-29-2015, 08:23 PM
Phoenix604
Banned

Originally Posted by Para82
Sorry but you're totally wrong about the Boss needing work and overheating. Over the last 2 months i've had my 100% stock Boss302 at Sebring, Road Atlanta, Miller, and NOLA MS (3 times) all at 90+ degree heat - flat out - the car runs like a champ.

When the track sessions are over I DRIVE the car home 300+ miles on the highway with the AC blowing and music up and park it in my garage as if it went to the grocery store. Here's how my stock Boss did on street tires at NOLA MS this week driven by me (total beginner)... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_KC...ature=youtu.be

Now as for your question new Mustang GT or 997. I choose 997 solely on the fact that the new Mustang GT will be on every corner. Now if they came out with a BOSS 429 or Shelby GT350 then I would consider that over a 997 but not a Mustang GT no.
I want to see the vid!!! You tube says its private!!!
Old 08-30-2015, 06:27 PM
hot nikon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sucks when a $45k Mustang crushes your C2. Like, a lot.

Just saying.

Do people really stand in the parking lot as you pull up?

The new Mustangs(esp. the 350 GT) are bad assed.

They are 2 very diff. cars.

In a perfect world, I'd keep my 09 C2S with a Tubi/6 speed.

Mustang for the V8 itch.

And a 997/2 Turbo that Champion has tuned to bitch-slap every C7 I might find.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:13 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 222 Posts

Why not get a c7 stingray Z51 ?

Just saying. Get the v8 and handling....

I don't think the new mustang GT is faster than a pdk c2s or 4s at the track?
Old 08-30-2015, 10:33 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 134 Posts

Get the GT350 with the track pack. Ford developed it against the GT3.

Quick Reply: 2009 997.2 C2 or C4 PDK vs. 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack and Recaros