Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 997.2 C2 or C4 PDK vs. 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack and Recaros

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 01:10 AM
bpang1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 997.2 C2 or C4 PDK vs. 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack and Recaros

What do you all think of buying a 997.2 with PDK versus the upcoming Mustang GT?

I have asked in both the Mustang6g forums and "my home" forum at NASIOC (Subaru). Mixed opinions at best to either. As you could guess most of the Mustang people are squarely in the Mustang stable (you see what I did there?) and the Subaru people are more in the 997-side.

So far, to my best knowledge, i can come up with this:

2009 997.2
1. It's a PORSCHE (my dream car)...include ALL those non-quantifiable reasons.
2. The PDK...I am at the point in my life that I don't care as much to have a Manual.
3. Handling
4. "Enough" power...though it is a big difference between the 5.0's likely 100 hp advantage which leads me to...
5. The 911 is lighter.
6. Ability to change head units (I really hate most OEM ones)

Mustang GT
1. It's new...will have a warranty and more "up to date" cabin technology (I hear MyFordTouch has improved).
2. Supposed to be surprisingly fast on a track (I do like to visit the track but only maybe twice a year).
3. Questionably more reliable (???)
4. More power.

I will add that I have always wanted a Porsche but can really only comfortably afford a 4-6 years old one. I learned to drive in Pony cars...that was cool but I would say this was before I was into getting on a track. Finally, THANK YOU for any of your thoughts.

Last edited by bpang1; 06-27-2014 at 01:34 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:51 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

New Mustang GT looks to be a great car. I've always been a Mustang fan and after I drove a few the lusting went away. This new model will drive a lot better than the ones I drove, but I think you'll have to drive them back to back and decide if the 911 experience is worth the difference to you.

To me it certainly is, as the 911 is simply the most resolved car I've ever driven. But different horses for different courses (see what I did there?)
Old 06-27-2014, 04:30 AM
bpang1
AutoX

One other thing that I guess concerns me.

I sort of worry about the image of a non-profit staffer driving around in a 911...even if I am buying a used one that could be cheaper than a lot of cars people are buying new. I don't get paid a ton by any means (people could literally pull up our Form 990 on our website and see my low'ish salary (compared to people in the for-profit world with my skill/experience/responsibility level I should be making 3x as much). I have done very well with my money and find myself in a situation that I could afford a car up in the mid-$40s (won't be buying until 2015).

At the end of the day, most people of note (CEOs and execs in this town that I do business with) already know that I'm a gearhead and regularly talk to me about it when I see them around (many drive Porsches, BMWs and other hot cars)...mostly because I roll up in a modded WRX to our meetings and events. Plus, I think these dudes like the fact that we share a passion even though my car is a lot cheaper than their's...that or they know I actually drive it like how it's supposed to be driven. So I think they would get a kick out of me being in a Porsche and would be pragmatic about it when they know it's not brand new.

Sorry for the mini-novel. Just wanted to air my biggest concern about getting a 911. It might even seem like a stupid concern so for that I apologize in advance.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:03 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Great cars for track are any 997 p-cars, lotus, z06, stripped m3. Any of those platforms can be built to be fast. Nissans gt-r, shelby, boss, other mustang variants require plenty of work to run atbmax power for 20min with no overheat. Also, weight is an issue and p-car will be faster in corners anyway.
As of driving p-car to work - yes, it may be an issue. People are prejudice. Other good alternative would be to pick up older e46 m3 car and built it up to be street/track weapon. Wrx is also capable, but, it s more a rally car, not a track car.

You may think of a gt-r car, actually, if drivng to work is a factor. People do not react to it much and with some money spent it will be running decently ok on a track.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:21 AM
eviligloo
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
As of driving p-car to work - yes, it may be an issue. People are prejudice. Other good alternative would be to pick up older e46 m3 car and built it up to be street/track weapon. Wrx is also capable, but, it s more a rally car, not a track car.
e46 m3s are way more expensive right now than they should be be ause enthusiast autosport in ohio buys up all the best used copies around the US, fixes them up and marks them up another $10k. I looked at an e46 but ultimately couldnt rationalize the purchase because insurance wouldnt cover it for over the blue book.

I have a saleen mustang and have been looking for the right porsche for several months. If you're talking about handling get the porsche over the mustang. No question. If you want great handling but a lot more discretion get an e90 or e92 bmw m3. Blends in at a parking lot and has as much confidence inspiring handling as a porsche. You could even debadge it and nobody but enthusiasts would know what you have. Perfect scenario in my opinion and you can pick up one in the $40s and $50s.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:13 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I'm going to break into fatherly advice mode now:

Here are my suggestions:
- In the near future with your budget, you will only be able to afford a higher-miles 997.2 with PDK, likely a non-S. Which leads to item 2:
- Make sure you understand the maintenance and repair costs of a Porsche. They are a LOT higher than a more mass produced car like the Mustang (economies of scale). Nothing can make a great car less fun than having it become a cost burden that you didn't expect. If you can do a lot of your own service work, that helps a lot since Porsche dealer costs tend to run up around $190 an hour on top of the expensive parts. (Oil change at my dealer would cost $275 for example).
- Check with your insurance people and see if there are any big differences in premium costs for you there
- The electronics in a Porsche tend to lag other cars in sophistication quite a bit. Check out the electronics in the 997.2 to see if you would be happy with them compared to the Mustang. My wife offered to let me choose between a 997.2 and a new Stingray last Christmas (I was already driving a 997.1 at the time). After looking at and driving both, the Porsche was the hands down winner for me despite all of the bling and electronics of the Corvette, just so you know I am already heavily Porsche-skewed in my thinking. (I've also owned 5 Corvettes over the years, so it wasn't as a big a novelty for me as it might be for some).
- On the flip side of the downer notes so far, it is clear to me that the 997.2s are a vastly superior car to the Mustang, have a lot more status associated with them (although sometimes negative from a small part of the broader public), and are much more fun to drive (although I do say that the Mustang exhaust note is always beautiful!).

If your budget wasn't tight and salary was meatier than you state, I'd be all over saying you should get the Porsche, no question about it. Keep in mind that it is always good to have a car to aspire to, so if you go the Mustang route now that doesn't mean that you don't keep a Porsche in your future crosshairs when you KNOW that it is something you can comfortably afford. I waited until the costs of a Porsche were of no real concern and in many ways I'm glad I did. I've had the opportunity to drive a lot of other great cars and motorcycles that I've loved... now I know I'm driving one of the best and appreciate it even more.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:31 AM
su_maverick
Advanced

Originally Posted by StormRune

Here are my suggestions:
- In the near future with your budget, you will only be able to afford a higher-miles 997.2 with PDK, likely a non-S. Which leads to item 2:
- Make sure you understand the maintenance and repair costs of a Porsche. They are a LOT higher than a more mass produced car like the Mustang (economies of scale). Nothing can make a great car less fun than having it become a cost burden that you didn't expect. If you can do a lot of your own service work, that helps a lot since Porsche dealer costs tend to run up around $190 an hour on top of the expensive parts. (Oil change at my dealer would cost $275 for example).
- Check with your insurance people and see if there are any big differences in premium costs for you there
- The electronics in a Porsche tend to lag other cars in sophistication quite a bit. Check out the electronics in the 997.2 to see if you would be happy with them compared to the Mustang. My wife offered to let me choose between a 997.2 and a new Stingray last Christmas (I was already driving a 997.1 at the time). After looking at and driving both, the Porsche was the hands down winner for me despite all of the bling and electronics of the Corvette, just so you know I am already heavily Porsche-skewed in my thinking. (I've also owned 5 Corvettes over the years, so it wasn't as a big a novelty for me as it might be for some).
- On the flip side of the downer notes so far, it is clear to me that the 997.2s are a vastly superior car to the Mustang, have a lot more status associated with them (although sometimes negative from a small part of the broader public), and are much more fun to drive (although I do say that the Mustang exhaust note is always beautiful!).

If your budget wasn't tight and salary was meatier than you state, I'd be all over saying you should get the Porsche, no question about it. Keep in mind that it is always good to have a car to aspire to, so if you go the Mustang route now that doesn't mean that you don't keep a Porsche in your future crosshairs when you KNOW that it is something you can comfortably afford. I waited until the costs of a Porsche were of no real concern and in many ways I'm glad I did. I've had the opportunity to drive a lot of other great cars and motorcycles that I've loved... now I know I'm driving one of the best and appreciate it even more.
+1 for the above post.

Aside from that (and one of the main reasons I am taking the leap on the 997 soon as well) is that I feel that they age much better than mass production cars such as the Mustang. I was driving on the highway a couple weeks ago and saw a 993 in great condition and thought that it still looked good 20 years later. But thats just my personal opinion.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:49 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Here are my suggestions:

This!
Old 06-27-2014, 11:00 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A new Mustang is going to depreciate a lot more than an '09 Pcar, most likely enough to more than wash the higher maintenance cost. And you can drive the 997 for 10, 15, 20 years and it'll still have the panache and get the looks and nods. Not so any Mustang past '73.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:22 AM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both nice cars. I love my GT500 and 911 for totally different reasons.

As others have said and I will reiterate, make sure you understand the possible maintenance costs you may be potentially getting into with a used and probably higher mile P car. Even one of the advantages you listed on the P car may be cost prohibitive. It is relatively expensive and complicated to change out the head unit in the P cars. I haven't looked into it too far personally but I called around for some quotes and was rather surprised how expensive it was. I believe you need some extra harnesses and other parts to be able to re-use the speakers and amp in the car.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:18 PM
Dark Helmet
Instructor

I just answered the same question... and opted for a 997.1 to ensure I left room in the budget for maintenance.

VERY happy with the choice.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:42 PM
bpang1
AutoX

Here are my suggestions:

Thank you very much for this.

I have looked into maintenance for about a month now before even considering writing this post. I can afford a 997.2 with the average maintenance (most of it I can do myself and the rest we have a local euro-mechanic shop that is an indy that have given me some quotes on the most usual items). I also have a friend that is a mechanic and is able to service Porsches as well (he is one of those guys you just know can fix any car).

Needless to say, if the motor blew that would be a huge stretch for me...but it would be that way for me too if I was in an out-of-warranty Mustang or Ford voided my warranty for tracking it.

I'm also open to the 997.1 or the 996...those would give me even more headroom. Though I wouldn't have PDK as an option and would likely go manual unless I was happy with the Tiptronic during the test drive.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:21 AM
bpang1
AutoX

Great cars for track are any 997 p-cars, lotus, z06, stripped m3. Any of those platforms can be built to be fast. Nissans gt-r, shelby, boss, other mustang variants require plenty of work to run atbmax power for 20min with no overheat. Also, weight is an issue and p-car will be faster in corners anyway.

You may think of a gt-r car, actually, if drivng to work is a factor. People do not react to it much and with some money spent it will be running decently ok on a track.
This made me do some research...I was surprised that Nissan GT-Rs of similar years are selling for a lot higher prices. Weren't the prices about the same when new?
Old 06-29-2014, 12:04 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Something you haven't mentioned is how you intend to use the car. Is it a daily driver?

I would consider a completely different approach. Keep the WRX as a daily driver, wait another year, put enough funds aside and buy the Porsche in 2016. The Porsche would then serve as the fun car and occasional track day. No one at work would no any better, you don't risk the "stigma" that definitely comes with owning a Porsche and your maintenance on the Porsche spreads out considerably since it's not used daily.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:51 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry but you're totally wrong about the Boss needing work and overheating. Over the last 2 months i've had my 100% stock Boss302 at Sebring, Road Atlanta, Miller, and NOLA MS (3 times) all at 90+ degree heat - flat out - the car runs like a champ.

When the track sessions are over I DRIVE the car home 300+ miles on the highway with the AC blowing and music up and park it in my garage as if it went to the grocery store. Here's how my stock Boss did on street tires at NOLA MS this week driven by me (total beginner)... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_KC...ature=youtu.be

Now as for your question new Mustang GT or 997. I choose 997 solely on the fact that the new Mustang GT will be on every corner. Now if they came out with a BOSS 429 or Shelby GT350 then I would consider that over a 997 but not a Mustang GT no.

Quick Reply: 2009 997.2 C2 or C4 PDK vs. 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack and Recaros