Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yellow Dots on New Tires...Matter if They Aren't Lined Up with Valve Stems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:31 PM
Schpee007
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow Dots on New Tires...Matter if They Aren't Lined Up with Valve Stems?

Got some new tires mounted yesterday. The valve stems aren't lined up with the yellow dots on the tires. Does that matter? I Googled the yellow dots and found these are supposed to be the light point on the tire, and as such a good spot to put the valve stem to aide in balancing. Wondering if I should take the car back to the tire shop and ask for a redo? Car drives smoothly, though I've also not been able to get up up to any real speed yet.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:37 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

If they are balanced, then they are balanced. Don't fret about it.

Now go wash off those ugly yellow dots.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

I think it shows that a tire installer doesn't know what he's doing if the dots aren't lined up, as they're there for a reason. It is entirely possible to balance a tire if these are not lined up, however.

I would be annoyed if the dots were 180 degrees off and there was a big clump of weights stuck to the wheel on that side, as that could have been avoided by installing the tire the right way.

The weights are unsightly, mar the paint when they're removed and--very occasionally--shed and throw the wheel off balance. Lots of weight in one spot is also indicative of a bent wheel or bad tire, so I am always paranoid when I get a wheel back with alot of weight added.

Shedding weights, of course, was way more common with clip-on banana weights than it is now with stick-on flat weights.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:02 PM
Schpee007
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Valves are I'd guess about 20 to 25 degrees off alignment with the dots. Could the wheel lock lug affect the positioning since its a bigger lug? I'd guess the weight strips are in the 3-4 inch range on each wheel.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:16 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by Schpee007
Valves are I'd guess about 20 to 25 degrees off alignment with the dots. Could the wheel lock lug affect the positioning since its a bigger lug? I'd guess the weight strips are in the 3-4 inch range on each wheel.
I always put the locking wheel bolt directly across and furthest away from the valve stem position.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:26 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never thought about the locking lug bolt position. I assumed they were so close in size/weight and so close to the axis that it would not affect anything. Now I will have to pay attention when I install my tires even if it will not make a difference.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:46 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

First thing I do when I get a new car, or a new car to me is remove the locking lug bolt. The only person it inconveniences is the car owner. The bad guys are going to take the whole car, or smash the window to get the mag key in the glove box or frunk.
Little dot not lined up? And the car does wobble. Don't worry about it. I have had more than my fair share of tires and rims. I've even had tires and rims balance and they needed NO added weights. Yes they were perfect. I stood there with the installer and watched them balance up perfectly. That was weird.
For your own sanity call the shop and comment. Take a photo now, for that just in case call back in a week.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:29 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Also note that the stem is not necessarily the heaviest spot on the wheel. Sometimes machining etc mean that the wheel isn't perfectly balanced. If you have access to a dynamic balancer try running a wheel on the machine without a tire at all. You would expect that the machine would tell you to put weights 180 degrees from the stem. That's not always the case.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:30 PM
Lugs H
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

google search dots on tires. Reading about red dots, yellow dots & no dots will test your sanity. Bottom line don't worry about it.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:40 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Now, I see more dots before my eyes!
But no dimples on my wheels!
Old 06-09-2014, 07:07 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

All correct. Its balanced no need to worry. But for me tire companies put it there for a reason. Yellow dot lines up with valve and also the lock lug. Including the tip of the porsche logo in the center cap. All these items should line up. This is the right way of doing things. Mediocre or exact. Your choice.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:27 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_rich
Also note that the stem is not necessarily the heaviest spot on the wheel. Sometimes machining etc mean that the wheel isn't perfectly balanced. If you have access to a dynamic balancer try running a wheel on the machine without a tire at all. You would expect that the machine would tell you to put weights 180 degrees from the stem. That's not always the case.
I would think stem + TPMS sensor would make that spot the heaviest.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:01 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think that after balancing there would not be a heavier side.

Quick Reply: Yellow Dots on New Tires...Matter if They Aren't Lined Up with Valve Stems?