Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 12:06 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 982 Posts
Default Adding aftermarket Nav & Stereo - Alpine question

Questions:

1 - Any experience with the new Alpine units - INE-W940? Opinions?
2 - Where are installers putting the antennas for GPS & XM/Sirrius?

My friend with a 2004 C4S Cab is dumping the nav for, possibly, this Alpine unit. The installer quoted a small amp to power the subwoofer. She is keeping all stock speaker drivers for now. Any opinions or issues?

Way back when I had my 2000 Boxster S, I had my stereo installer put my XM antenea under the wiper cowling. He made a bracket that sat between the air filter and battery that pushed the antenea up against the underside of the cowling. It worked well and totally invisible.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ine-w940

Old 06-04-2014, 07:08 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Alpine: Mine is far right on the dashboard close to where glass meets A pillar. Never notice it.

Wouldn't mind some trick hiding idea though!

Which installer? I might need to see about the Sub issue myself. Not sure if that part is right. Sounds 'off'.... not quite right.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 982 Posts

The installer said the woofer is fed with a fiber optic cable from the stock head unit. You replace the stock head unit, you need a small amp to power the woofer.

Antenna: Back in the early 2000s, hiding it under the cowling was THE place to put an antenna. I don't know why they are putting it on top of the cowling as I have seen.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-04-2014, 08:56 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Any type of Sat antenna should have a clear unobstructed view of the sky. You may be able to put it under plastic but absolutely no metal. Usually, on the dash where it meets the windshield will suffice. Although most Sirius/XM antennas are pretty much hermetically sealed (which is why you see them outside on the roof of cars) quite often, Alpine GPS antennas are NOT so they can't be exposed to the elements or you'll find yourself replacing it annually.

The Alpine INE-W940 is a pretty good radio. Biggest downside is, when you get map updates, for whatever reason, the micro sd slot is on the right side of the radio which means you have to slide the radio out of the dash. At least the updates will be annually at best.

Quick Reply: Adding aftermarket Nav & Stereo - Alpine question