Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any V8 Audi R8 owners / experts here??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 11:56 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts
Default Any V8 Audi R8 owners / experts here??

Chairman Meow is nearly ready to pass along the Nordic Gold 09 2S. It's been a great car, but time for a change.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...c2s-w-pdk.html

We took turns driving a 2012 R8 with the 4.2 and (something)Tronic automated manual gearbox.
(Manual trans is NOT an option for us).

Very favorably impressed.
As a "reformed" muscle car guy, I found the V8 sound very appealing.
Transmission is a bit weird, but livable.
Aesthetics are spot on.
We both agreed that for her use, the R8 is a better car, (Daily Driver, No track).

Would like to hear about actual ownership experiences with that trans. Seems like a servo controlled clutch doesn't give driver any control over clutch disc wear and it's probably $7.500+ for a dealer engine out replacement.

Have you owned one of these?
Love it?
Hate it?
Meeeehhhh?

Thanks

Craig
Old 06-02-2014, 12:39 PM
door2416
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

A 2012 I beleive would have the S-tronic as compaired to the earlier R-tronic. You might want to spend some time over on the R8 sight (www.r8talk.com/forums/ ). They are certainly great lookig cars and would be my choice if I were looking to upgrade. From what I have read they get great reviews . A much more exclusive ride for sure.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:51 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm certainly not an expert and this might not be helpful but I and several friends of mine have gone through a thought process on these cars.

The guys that buy the V8's generally end up wanting or upgrading to the V10 after some time. This could be exclusive to my circle of friends but most of them at some point end up driving or riding in a V10 and the 100 horsepower difference is rather substantial.

A lot of the guys that started with V10's have ended up with Gallardo's.

None of this may be relevant to your situation but I felt it was worth mentioning. The V8 is probably the better choice for a daily.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:13 PM
door2416
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezkill
I'm certainly not an expert and this might not be helpful but I and several friends of mine have gone through a thought process on these cars.

The guys that buy the V8's generally end up wanting or upgrading to the V10 after some time. This could be exclusive to my circle of friends but most of them at some point end up driving or riding in a V10 and the 100 horsepower difference is rather substantial.

A lot of the guys that started with V10's have ended up with Gallardo's.

None of this may be relevant to your situation but I felt it was worth mentioning. The V8 is probably the better choice for a daily.
I think I also heard that the v10 gets better gas milege.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:08 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback.
I'll check out the r8talk forum
Old 06-02-2014, 03:28 PM
englebert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They have the RS4 engine which is known for coking up really bad.

I love the look of them, but for me not quick enough for the supercar looks.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:16 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

R8s look a little too "boy racer"-ish to me. And I'm an Audi guy; we've had four, including an S4 Cab my wife swapped for her 911 Carrera S cab, and I currently own a Q5. Just my two cents.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:34 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by englebert
They have the RS4 engine which is known for coking up really bad.

I love the look of them, but for me not quick enough for the supercar looks.
Originally Posted by dalancroft
R8s look a little too "boy racer"-ish to me. And I'm an Audi guy; we've had four, including an S4 Cab my wife swapped for her 911 Carrera S cab, and I currently own a Q5. Just my two cents.
Thanks, your insightful feedback regarding the R8's transmission is very helpful...........
Old 06-04-2014, 09:10 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

This is going to be the wife's car? I ask because I've talked to some R8 owners (I was contemplating it before I decided on the 991) and they report that the car attracts a lot of attention. The dealer had a used V10 cab that I asked about since it was just a year old. They said that a woman owned it as her DD but traded it because she didn't like all of the attention that it got.

I drove the V8 with a proper manual transmission and thought it was a nice car. I decided that it was just too flashy for me, along with Audi's reputation for reliability...

Best of luck.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:35 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
This is going to be the wife's car? I ask because I've talked to some R8 owners (I was contemplating it before I decided on the 991) and they report that the car attracts a lot of attention. The dealer had a used V10 cab that I asked about since it was just a year old. They said that a woman owned it as her DD but traded it because she didn't like all of the attention that it got.

I drove the V8 with a proper manual transmission and thought it was a nice car. I decided that it was just too flashy for me, along with Audi's reputation for reliability...

Best of luck.
We've had a great overall experience with our 2011 S4. I think Audi's less than reliable reputation was for the previous series of cars.

I was at the Audi dealership last November for service and saw a woman driving her R8 in to get a winter set of tires/wheels installed. I started asking her how she liked her car, etc., and she loved it so much that she wanted to drive it all winter too.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:55 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not an expert, not an owner, not a clue about the transmission, but those R8's look damn good on the road.

Quick Reply: Any V8 Audi R8 owners / experts here??