Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it possible to add a rear windshield wiper?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 04:17 PM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is it possible to add a rear windshield wiper?

If yes, how complicated/expensive is it?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-31-2014, 10:54 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Not sure how complicated but I just removed mine and have all the parts if you decide to go for it.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

All the parts including the window and wire harness?

Thats the most expensive bit - the glass and the wiring from the glass up to the front of the car to plug into the correct plug in the controller.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:43 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear most don't want that thing back there. I am a cab guy so no help here.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:48 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm sure you can find all the hardware from someone who took it off. You should ask for orange side markers as well...
Old 06-02-2014, 06:00 PM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
I'm sure you can find all the hardware from someone who took it off. You should ask for orange side markers as well...
Orange side markers have no real world benefit... Living in the North East and driving a 911 year round with heavy winters means I want a rear windshield wiper.

Function over form on some things for me, this is one of them... same reason I need AWD when I would obviously prefer RWD.

Last edited by Collin Chapin; 06-02-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I thought you had already bought one but looks like you're still looking. Probably easier to buy one with the rear wiper there
Old 06-02-2014, 07:35 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

I love mine driving in Ohip
Old 06-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
I thought you had already bought one but looks like you're still looking. Probably easier to buy one with the rear wiper there
Yes I'm getting closer and closer to buying one but I want to know if I can just pull the trigger on a "good find" even without the rear windshield wiper as long as it can be added later.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:19 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Well before you splurge, check this link on 6speed ://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/338487-rear-wiper-delete-finally.html

Maybe you can score some parts on the cheap.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:52 PM
PhilD
Pro

On a 996 at least, and I think on a 997, there is a welded in panel at the rear that the wiper motor and everything attaches to. Without it the the sheet metal would just get bent and deformed. As it is welded in, I doubt it is available as a part, so figure on manufacturing something and welding it in. Not sure if a separate module is needed, then it will just be wiring, new stalks, and almost certainly some programming.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:54 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

If it is a must-have item, I'd strongly recommend buying a car with it. There is no single standard wiring harness for a 911, so the car will be missing the basic wiring and support for it as PhilD states. Glass replacement alone would be very costly. The window seems to clear itself just fine in rain due to wind shear, and with the defroster on I would think it would clear snow just as effectively.

The best you could hope for is a hacked-up mounting, compromised seal on the glass, and a lot of expense getting the car wiring and programmed to use it. Most people go the other way and remove it or pick a car without it, so you'll be sacrificing the larger market when you go to sell as well, probably insuring lower resale pricing as well. In the long run, I'd bet this will cost you many thousands.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:23 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Try one of these first:

1) Aquapel glass coating from Tire Rack
2) OptiCoat 2.0 from Detailers Domain
3) Rain X
Old 06-03-2014, 10:26 AM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Originally Posted by StormRune
If it is a must-have item, I'd strongly recommend buying a car with it. There is no single standard wiring harness for a 911, so the car will be missing the basic wiring and support for it as PhilD states. Glass replacement alone would be very costly. The window seems to clear itself just fine in rain due to wind shear, and with the defroster on I would think it would clear snow just as effectively.

The best you could hope for is a hacked-up mounting, compromised seal on the glass, and a lot of expense getting the car wiring and programmed to use it. Most people go the other way and remove it or pick a car without it, so you'll be sacrificing the larger market when you go to sell as well, probably insuring lower resale pricing as well. In the long run, I'd bet this will cost you many thousands.
Thank you. This is basically what I was looking for. Fortunately I will be seriously shopping in the winter so maybe i'll just have to try and take a test drive during some heavy snow if possible.

Appreciate the responses as always, you guys are the best! With every response you give me it gets easier and easier to narrow down exactly what my "perfect Porsche" is going to be
Old 06-03-2014, 07:45 PM
msuheritage
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in the same situation with the Chicago and Michigan winters. I was set on getting a 911 with the wiper. I now own a c4s with no wiper (It was perfect and I was not going to lose it over the rear wiper). I had zero issues this past winter. A good coating on the glass and the rear defrosters got rid of the snow every time. I think one time i used the snow brush.

Winter tires on the other hand are a must!

Good Luck

Quick Reply: is it possible to add a rear windshield wiper?