Sponsored by:

Check engine light - ....go to workshop error

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 12:20 PM
swordsmn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light - ....go to workshop error

I'm posting prematurely because I don't know any codes yet (and don't own a Durametric etc) but:

2005 base Carrera. Driven infrequently last several weeks.
(On last two occasions needed to use key so it was > 7 days or so each time.

two weeks or so ago I got a check engine, see workshow on start up
shut her down waited 5 minutes, restarted, no error so I was relieved & went on my way.

Yesterday, same thing but on restart the error persists.

No odd noises etc

My son in law has an obd reader he will bring over tonight, can it tell "us" anything?

My Indy is Sean Freed who's about 28 miles from my home.

I will add to thread IF this generic obd/obdII reader shows anything but do you guy have any wild guesses what might be amiss?

"Freaked in ATL"

(I'm a fairly new owner (December) not a lot of seat time so I worry.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:03 PM
BED997
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Very likely it is a "front control module" that needs replacement with the most current version.

If you search that topic you will see some threads about the front control module giving that "visit workshop" error code. It is (or was) about a $350ish OEM part that sometimes fails, believe it or not, when the front end around the headlight area is cleaned and waxed with a cloth and static discharge ruins the module.

Hope this helps for a starting point. GL
Old 05-27-2014, 01:22 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Post the code(s). Otherwise,it's like looking for the needle in the haystack.
An OBD2 scanner will be good for now to at least see what kind of code you're dealing with : whether it's generic or manufacturer specific.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:36 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 170 Posts

Another point of reference and certainly not conclusive by any stretch of the imagination. Mine was caused by a gas cap according to my shop.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:44 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on evap leak greater than limit=loose gas cap. Most common light. Especially if it clears by itself sometimes. But then again it could be any of the other 200.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:19 PM
swordsmn
Instructor

hmm daughter #1 might hv jumped to do last fillup.. if that's it, I owe workhurts and Chris a beer!
frankly I'll take the $350 front module at $350 if it stops at that. Everything else I ever run into is $1500 - $2000 lol Maybe I need an ESD bracelet to use a California Duster... sheesh tbd hopefully codes forthcoming in 3-4 hrs thx group.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:06 PM
swordsmn
Instructor

Uhhh I don't like this:
Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2014, 08:07 PM
swordsmn
Instructor

sorry for size
Old 05-27-2014, 08:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Relax.

Misfires. Usually (most of the time in fact) nothing more than at worst coils. While you are there change the plugs.

Can happen with perfectly fine coils too. Happened to my 996 Turbo twice, once when left out overnight in a bad rainstorm and again left out overnight at hotel near the bay and the fog/marine layer can in hot and heavy, make that cold and damp.

Get the car to a qualified/well regarded Porsche service/repair shop and consult with the tech, but I suspect he'll advise you time to do coils and plugs.

'course, this assumes there are no other error codes, active or pending, and the engine remains free of scary noises, and other signs of serious trouble. The tech you take the car too should check for this possibility and advise you if he finds something more possibly going on.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:21 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Since you have multiple misfires on both banks the first thing I'd try is disconnecting the MAF(Mass Air Flow sensor) and clean it with CRC MAF cleaner or similar.
Are you using a stock paper Air filter or different?
Old 05-27-2014, 08:43 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

good luck. I replaced my MAF, Plugs, Coils and after all that it turned out to be a vacuum leak
Old 05-27-2014, 08:58 PM
swordsmn
Instructor

thx guys . I may try the MAF clean but I see see me mucking that up so I may wait till I can escape work to take it to Freed one day.

Dman.. I know you guys diag this stuff all the time but when it's YOUR baby it makes you sick

thanks for all the keep calm sentiment

I've been driving her all too Infrequently between rain & my ofc commute is all Atlanta rush hour interstate read 1-2 gear, curse, 1-2 gear curse so it's been a weekend toy when dry (I know I know it has wipers) I don't do short hops tho, but last two trips were those hour commutes in rush hour fwiw...
Old 05-27-2014, 09:07 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

A vacuum leak is a possibility but that can be associated with a lean condition DTC(s),which can lead you into that direction after looking at some live data.
I'm not trying to load the OP with too much info,I'm just giving him a starting point that it's easy enough to check himself. If that solves it good,if not he'll need to dig further.
My suggestion can be a cheap fix(it will only cost you a can of cleaner),I'm definitely against the " throwing parts at a problem " type of approach.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:25 PM
TxBob74
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With your multiple random misfires I suggest you check the DME relay located in the fuse box to verify that it is not loose in its socket. This happened to me over two years ago and it took four episodes and two dealership visits to locate. Especially if you feel a misfire going over freeway "irregularities" at speed, this could be your culprit.

Dealer #2 said they just adjusted the spring tension in the socket and I've had no recurrence since.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:49 PM
mopar bob
Pro

You get misfires if the oil filler cap is loose. Ask me how I know, just snug up that oil filler cap and see if it goes away.

Quick Reply: Check engine light - ....go to workshop error