Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is involved in "turning a 4 into a 4S" and is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 10:47 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Sounds like you've already made the right call.

Once you find yourself wanting the extra power and perks of an S and can afford it, do it. I first skimped on the S part with my first C4 and while I loved the car, I always regretted not getting an S. I found I was also considering how to make it more S-like in performance, but looking at what that would take would have cost a substantial part of what just switching to an S would cost. I decided it was just easier to admit my mistake and only 10 months later I swapped up my current 2009 S. I'm completely satisfied that it was the right decision. I'm sure you'll be happy with choosing the S.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:58 AM
denVerSlube
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The three easiest parts of the S experience you can probably do all by yourself: getting worse gas mileage, paying more for insurance, and having to deal with more weight when turning into corners are all easy - just tune your C4 to run a bit rich, tell your insurance company you'll be sending them bigger checks, and put 55 pounds of weight onto your back seat.

Lowering your car 0.6" (for the 997s) so it can scrape more speed bumps and get stuck in the snow more often is a relatively easy conversion too.

If you slam on the brakes enough times during your daily commute (assuming you don’t track your car) that brake fade is a problem, then a brake upgrade should be next, assuming you’re happy paying more for brake pad replacements every time.

Actually the easiest thing you can do is just be happy with what you can best afford, which if it's a C4, is a great car with enough power and control to conduct ample hooliganism.

As an engineer I get mildly annoyed with people parading around with extra bits that aren’t worth the extra money given that owners’ particular situation – like offroad capability for an SUV that never leaves the road or brakes for a car that can grab the wheels harder than the rubber can grab the asphalt, but that never experience the heat and need for fade resistance necessary for the track racing environment they might have been designed for.

If winning every stop light drag-race matters, though, you’ll need the bigger engine. Which is, when you get down to it, why I would gladly trade my C4 for a C4S any day. But as it is, I’m happy with what I’ve got and how much I paid for it. <flamesuit on>

Last edited by denVerSlube; 05-27-2014 at 01:10 AM. Reason: (Re-reading OP - OP still deciding)
Old 05-27-2014, 01:05 AM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

just "add" a turbo later on when you want more power...
Old 05-27-2014, 01:07 AM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by denVerSlube

If winning every stop light drag-race matters, though, you’ll need the bigger engine. Which is, when you get down to it, why I would gladly trade my C4 for a C4S any day. But as it is, I’m happy with what I’ve got and how much I paid for it. <flamesuit on>
the S envy...
Old 05-27-2014, 01:31 AM
Ryan M Hartman
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 29 Posts

C4S does this. Look at the sexy hips of this wide body!
Old 05-27-2014, 07:25 AM
rj5620
Advanced

My 2012 C4 cab is my first 911 and I really did not have the foggiest that there was an "S" model when I was in the showroom a year ago. the cab was the end of the 997.2 run and discounted with most to the toys that I wanted and at a reasonable price. I am in that senior group and the 3.6 almost gets me in trouble too often. An S or a Turbo, would surely have me in jail or in the ground. My 911 has what I always wanted with that wide rear end and a convertible top (smartop) and It is a joy. No regrets here and my pocket book is not empty.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:52 AM
Dumans24
Track Day

I got caught up in the emotion of getting a car on a trip to So-Cal last February and bought a C4. Paid "S" money for it due to low mileage. Shipped it back home to Indiana. Plan on driving it year round. I do regret not getting an "S". Have since changed wheels to 19"s and added the "Gundo" exhaust hack. Still not an "S" but starting to be a bit more happy with it. Next may possibly get H&R lowering springs.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:27 AM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan M Hartman
C4S does this. Look at the sexy hips of this wide body!
I could be wrong but my understanding was the 4 and the 4S had the same body?
Old 05-27-2014, 10:49 AM
Cbst09
Racer

you are correct, both the C4 and C4s have the wide body. As the previous posters mentioned the main difference with the "S" models is the larger engine and the bigger brakes with the red brake calipers.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:05 AM
Ryan M Hartman
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Collin Chapin
I could be wrong but my understanding was the 4 and the 4S had the same body?
You're correct. I wasn't suggesting otherwise.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:14 AM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan M Hartman
You're correct. I wasn't suggesting otherwise.
Oh OK sorry. This is my first Porsche purchase so I'm just trying to clarify as many aspects as I can. I thought maybe the S did in fact have a wider body.

Thanks for the response
Old 05-27-2014, 12:23 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

I have had both and honestly you can barely tell the difference between the two. Yes red calipers look cool and are bigger but unlike 991S are still just 4 piston front just like the non S 997 (991S has 6). The 3.6 is a very sweet block. The biggest difference is the standard PASM for the S which you will probably only use if you track the car. Many non S cars have 19" wheels which again are nice to look at but 18"s are fine too. White gauge face is a personal thing (991 cars are all black again) but at night you can't see a difference. My suggestion is to find the colors and options and mileage and excellent maintenance you want and buy it, C4 or C4s. GL
Old 05-27-2014, 04:08 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Don't forget the the fact that the 4S is widebody whereas the C4 is narrow body.

Carrera 2, Carrera 2S, Carrer 4, GT3 are all narrowbody

Carrera 4S, GT3RS, Turbo and GT2 are widebody

Major difference there and while it is not impossible to replace the quarter panels and make the NB a WB, it would make absolutely no sense to do this.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:01 PM
Dumans24
Track Day

Originally Posted by Juha G
Don't forget the the fact that the 4S is widebody whereas the C4 is narrow body.

Carrera 2, Carrera 2S, Carrer 4, GT3 are all narrowbody

Carrera 4S, GT3RS, Turbo and GT2 are widebody

Major difference there and while it is not impossible to replace the quarter panels and make the NB a WB, it would make absolutely no sense to do this.
The C4 is a widebody.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:15 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
I have had both and honestly you can barely tell the difference between the two. Yes red calipers look cool and are bigger but unlike 991S are still just 4 piston front just like the non S 997 (991S has 6). The 3.6 is a very sweet block. The biggest difference is the standard PASM for the S which you will probably only use if you track the car. Many non S cars have 19" wheels which again are nice to look at but 18"s are fine too. White gauge face is a personal thing (991 cars are all black again) but at night you can't see a difference. My suggestion is to find the colors and options and mileage and excellent maintenance you want and buy it, C4 or C4s. GL
^ This. I've not owned but driven S and non S models before I landed on my Targa 4. Right color, price and spec and I've no regrets saving about $10k (it really was that much of a deal) compared to any available .2 S models.

The 3.6 sounds amazing too, much better than I'd have anticipated. In your day to day your not going to miss the extra ponies from the S. If you were presented with both identical used cars , color and spec wise with a small price difference it would be a non-brainer for the S. Otherwise , find the best spec'd 997 you can find regardless.

Quick Reply: What is involved in "turning a 4 into a 4S" and is it possible?