Sponsored by:

This is why I despise dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 03:59 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by josephmonaco924
Why anyone would go to any dealer for anything but warranty work is beyond comprehension.
Because at the Indy shops:
a) There is no warranty on the work. Sure they say the work is guaranteed for x days but try collecting on that ... "oh that wasn't what we did, that was x faulty part"
b) no loaner car and never near a metro
c) Booked out 10 days in advance then it takes at minimum 10 days to get any answers. If I didn't call them I believe my car would sit there indefinitely.
d) prices really aren't that much cheaper ... "ohh we're better than the dealer techs"
e) upsell (see below)

I could go on but you get the idea.

Originally Posted by Para82
That said, back up in Arlington. I found one shop which really is 1st class and also very fair in pricing and that is Intersport at Tysons. These guys are Porsche fanatics also and do a great job. Whenever i'm in town this is who takes care of my 911. No affiliation, just a recommendation from a customer.
This Intersport?
http://www.yelp.com/biz/intersport-mclean
Old 05-22-2014, 09:26 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Quickie
Yikes . . . the reviews for Intersport in McLean, VA posted on this link don't look too good. That's unfortunate because there are several positive reviews on Rennlist about these guys.

That said, I think what we can all gather from the posts in this thread is that there are great dealerships as well as great independents. The challenge is to find one that meets all the criteria that are important to you. This is why I hate moving around so often. It's always a hunt.

Perhaps I should change the title of this thread to, "This is why I despise SOME dealerships."

Sean
Old 05-29-2014, 12:18 PM
CarGirl1
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ummm...have you ever had to "approve" a business to do you a favor/something for free? No. They wouldn't have called u if they were just "doing u a solid". They simply would've told you the addtl services they gave u for free at payment. It's the service game but it's not shiesty..any other industry would've done it-it was your responsibility to ask how much it'd cost you. Sorry but I think you're to blame for that one...

Originally Posted by Para82
This is how Porsche of Arlington scammed me on that 4 year major service. They called me up on my cell phone halfway into the job (while I was back at the office) and said "Hey, we've got the backseat open and it appears it's mis-aligned. We're already in there so we can fix it really fast no big deal." Sure I said, sounds like he was doing me a favor and calling as a courtesy. Get back to the dealership, they had a 400 dollar charge on the service to "Re-align the back seat" I **** you not.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:52 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGirl1
Ummm...have you ever had to "approve" a business to do you a favor/something for free? No. They wouldn't have called u if they were just "doing u a solid". They simply would've told you the addtl services they gave u for free at payment. It's the service game but it's not shiesty..any other industry would've done it-it was your responsibility to ask how much it'd cost you. Sorry but I think you're to blame for that one...
You're absolutely right! I am completely to blame! See the mistake started when I brought my beautiful Porsche 911 to a scumbag, low life service department like Porsche of Arlington. A mistake which cost me a racked up bill full of fraud and deceit. Stupid Me!

Unfortunately for Porsche of Arlington their scam turned out to be not so cost effective considering they lost a customer for life and numerous other potential customers who have taken their hard earned money elsewhere after reading the numerous reports written about the rampant fraud.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:06 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your insane, Do you work for or do you have any relation to anyone that works for Porsche of Arlington newbie?

I work in a service business, it is NOT incumbent on the customer to ask how much if I'm calling them to tell them something needs to be fixed. If its free i say so, if its not I say "it will cost XXX, Do you want me to do it?" Calling and getting approval for something then ambushing my customer with the cost is a ticket out the door for me.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:53 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Arominus
Your insane, Do you work for or do you have any relation to anyone that works for Porsche of Arlington newbie?

I work in a service business, it is NOT incumbent on the customer to ask how much if I'm calling them to tell them something needs to be fixed. If its free i say so, if its not I say "it will cost XXX, Do you want me to do it?" Calling and getting approval for something then ambushing my customer with the cost is a ticket out the door for me.
Nail on the head.

Last edited by Para82; 05-29-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:08 PM
9114Scab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arominus

I agree, CARGIRL is off base. The staff at Arlington Porsche needs to be re-trained or terminated.

That doesn't meet Porsche Standards.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:14 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Translation please.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:07 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Translation please.
OMG does no one know how to write any more?

Punctuation, capitalization, spelling, grammar, are those all just fond memories of days past?

Ooops.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:25 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
OMG does no one know how to write any more?

Punctuation, capitalization, spelling, grammar, are those all just fond memories of days past?

Ooops.

OK...off topic. Our kids are growing up with technologies that no longer promote the basics. Unfortunately, the answer to your question is yes.

On topic. All dealerships are not the same. And a number of us have excellent, long time relationships with dealerships that have provided great service and a willingness to be price competitive. Same comment regarding independent service centers.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:28 AM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I find it interesting that CarGirl1 just joined Rennlist and the first post he/she made is to this thread. Perhaps an anonymous Porsche of Arlington insider coming to the company's defense (there's nothing wrong with that, just be upfront about it). I also think his/her comment "any other industry would've done it" is completely naïve and out of touch with the finer points of customer service. If they in fact work for the company, this comment would help explain why they have the issues they do.

Since I'm new to the DC area, I asked several of my neighbors who own P-Cars if they ever dealt with Porsche of Arlington. Just about every one of them responded by making that sound you get from breathing in through your teeth. I kid you not!

Sean

Last edited by Sniff; 05-30-2014 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Clarifying remarks
Old 05-30-2014, 12:58 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correction Sniff, if my display is correct, Cargirl did NOT join Rennlist.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:26 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by McCulla
Correction Sniff, if my display is correct, Cargirl did NOT join Rennlist.
Became a user May 2014 and it was her first post. Hmmm.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:30 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was sniping at the "join" date because she is not a "member" but still chimed in to add her critique.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:45 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by STLPCA
My local dealer, Parktown, does great work, gives PCA members a 20% discount on parts and labor which makes them price competitive with indies, gives customers a free loaner (I usually get a current year Porsche), and my car is returned with a decent hand washing. Plus, over my many years of Porsche ownership I've had $1,000s of out of warranty work done for "customer goodwill." Why would I go anywhere else?

Not all dealerships are the same.
Our experiences are nearly identical. Near most large cities there are several Porsche dealers to choose from, so it pays to shop around. I had the oil changed on my 981S about a month ago, and the prices for the oil changes ranged from $270 to a little over $400. Fortunately for me the least expensive dealership was also the closest to where I lived. The most expensive were near Washington, DC. So the OP's experience is not all that surprising to me.

Quick Reply: This is why I despise dealerships