Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is why I despise dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 01:32 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

It ain't worth the dealers liability installing possibly a non N rated tire, or tires installed by some other shop.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:34 PM
josephmonaco924
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why anyone would go to any dealer for anything but warranty work is beyond comprehension.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:38 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

My dealership just pulled four GT3 wheels and tires off my car, pulled the TPM sensors, installed them in my stock wheels and tires, and mounted them on the car. All this for $100. I added balancing of the stock wheels because I didn't have the presence of mind to mark them LorR when I took them off to get powdercoated. Cost to balance $59.

Pretty fair I think.

My dealership has really been trying to improve in the customer service department lately. They've cleaned house and have hired some more customer-minded people. I'm holding my breath.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:44 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by josephmonaco924
Why anyone would go to any dealer for anything but warranty work is beyond comprehension.

I find my dealership great. Labour rate's the same as my Dodge dealer.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:10 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

For those down south Porsche of Destin is excellent. They are honest and the employees are all Porsche fanatics.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:33 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealership will match tirerack prices and mount/balance all 4 for $300. I think going rate in my area at local shops are $50-60/tire. Plus I can have a loaner car.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:35 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

All my research revealed the going rate to mount and balance tires at the major tires chain stores (Firestone, Mr. Tire, etc) here in the Washington DC area was around $30 per wheel. I think that is pretty reasonable considering DC has one of the highest costs of living in the country. So for Porsche of Arlington to quote me $300 for just two wheel is beyond obnoxious.

The tires I bought are Bridgestone Potenzas which are N rated . . . not sure why there would be liability issues.

Sean
Old 05-17-2014, 08:10 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I find my dealership great. Labour rate's the same as my Dodge dealer.
I love my dealer as well!!

Tom
Old 05-17-2014, 09:24 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 292 Likes on 173 Posts

Porsche of Arlington reminds me of BMW of Sterling .... prices on everything are all over the place. The $300 quote is just thier way of saying no or perhaps they added alignment in there too.

I've always had good luck with Curry's for tire installs
Old 05-18-2014, 01:05 PM
ACD22
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since there's a bit of piling on going on, I'll add my 2 cents about Porsche of Arlington. A month after replacing my 997.1 plugs and coils, I took it in for the every other year inspection. I told the service advisor all that I had done to the car (fluid and filter changes, belt change, etc.) including the plugs and coils. The service report comes back and says I need new plugs, that 2 of the coils are cracked and that I need a full 30,000 mile service - i.e. all that I had just done. I paid the bill to get my car back but also complained at the time to the service advisor about the blatant misrepresentation. Later I wrote to the service advisor, then the service manage and finally the general manager about being lied to. No one even bothered to respond. While mistakes and short cuts can and do happen, I concluded that POA is a POS.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:24 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I had 2 separate dealers divert 2000 911/996 C4 custom ordered, shipped from the factory under my name. C4's were to be in short supply but I had early on responded to an ad and got a factory rep gave me a priority slot.

Barrier Porsche sold my C4 to another party the day it arrived. Send me my refund, so sue me, said the sales manager, after first claiming there wasn't one.

The factory rep got me a second priority, slot, asked what dealer I wanted to work with...Bend Oregon....

My custom order, shipped form the factory under my name, suddenly became a triple black cab and was sold to the first "bidder". Refund check arrived 6 weeks later.

Enough of that CRAP....took factory delivery.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:20 PM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Next time take it to Porsche of Tysons corner (no affiliation). They are honest and will give you a fair quote.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:31 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
I had 2 separate dealers divert 2000 911/996 C4 custom ordered, shipped from the factory under my name. C4's were to be in short supply but I had early on responded to an ad and got a factory rep gave me a priority slot.

Barrier Porsche sold my C4 to another party the day it arrived. Send me my refund, so sue me, said the sales manager, after first claiming there wasn't one.

The factory rep got me a second priority, slot, asked what dealer I wanted to work with...Bend Oregon....

My custom order, shipped form the factory under my name, suddenly became a triple black cab and was sold to the first "bidder". Refund check arrived 6 weeks later.

Enough of that CRAP....took factory delivery.
So who was your deal with, the factory rep or the dealership? When you get an allocation from a dealer you enter into a contract. You give them a down payment and agree to buy the car and they order it. It is a contact - meeting of the minds and reasonable consideration. If the dealer sells the car out from under you becuase someone offered them more whene it arrived they have breached the contract. But I do not understand what a factory rep is. Your deal was with the rep and not the dealership so if the factory rep had no contract with the dealership to hold the car for you then it was just the dealer doing what they do - which would be maximizing their profit. And I am, like many others, no fan of any dealers.

(When my car was delivered it came in a few days early. I agreed, in the contract to take delivery on 8/31. My sales guy called me twice to make sure I was coming in on 8/31 (and I happened to me in Europe at the time). When I took delivery I asked him why he called and he told me that while the car was on the lot he had three offers, each more than I paid, but because I was under contract to buy the car He couldn't sell it to someone else until I breached - which would have been waiting until 9/1 to take delivery.)
Old 05-18-2014, 06:04 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by josephmonaco924
My local dealer, Parktown, does great work, gives PCA members a 20% discount on parts and labor which makes them price competitive with indies, gives customers a free loaner (I usually get a current year Porsche), and my car is returned with a decent hand washing. Plus, over my many years of Porsche ownership I've had $1,000s of out of warranty work done for "customer goodwill." Why would I go anywhere else?

Not all dealerships are the same.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:19 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Byers Porsche in Columbus Ohio charged me $150 to mount and balance my summer tires. They also reset my service reminder (I change my own oil) for no additional charge. When I installed the winter tires last fall they also installed new TPSM's (that I purchased from OE) for no additional charge. The couldn't be nicer to deal with so far. They also charged me $150 to do an alignment after I installed H&R lowering springs.

Quick Reply: This is why I despise dealerships