Sponsored by:

Custom iPad Holder

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 02:39 AM
dustinr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom iPad Holder

Couldn't find a iPad holder for my car that I liked so I designed, lasered, formed, and plasti-dipped my own!

Requires no bolts or fasteners, just simply tension fits inside the cubby hole below the A/C controller. Holds my iPad right up in front of where the radio and AC controls are so its more like a OEM Touch screen radio unit. There's still a gap too to reach the Sport and PASM. Buttons and if I Need to adjust the AC the iPad just simply pulls forward enough to reach the controls.

Its a prototype for now, may try to make it out of anodized aluminum or maybe even Titanium. I work in a custom metal fab shop so its easy for me tweak it...

Old 05-14-2014, 07:38 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

looks really interesting, more details. How does it keep iPad from swaying?
Old 05-14-2014, 01:09 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Hmm... ok, but WHY? Are people now that addicted to their iCrap products? Also, isn't that safety hazard! If you wanna do iPad, only Mini would be ok IMO.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:25 PM
dustinr
Instructor

Originally Posted by larrytrk
looks really interesting, more details. How does it keep iPad from swaying?
Hard to see in picture but it's actually leaning back against the console, and it's held on each side so there's no sway side to side nor front to back.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:30 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks great, there was a DIY where someone actually inserted a iPad Mini as a replacement for the stock screen and hooked it up to control sound & navigation.

Remember to remove the iPad when you park as it's an excuse for some idiot to break into your car.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:34 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

http://virtual-addiction.com/digital-distraction-test/
Old 05-14-2014, 01:37 PM
dustinr
Instructor

Originally Posted by alexb76
Hmm... ok, but WHY? Are people now that addicted to their iCrap products? Also, isn't that safety hazard! If you wanna do iPad, only Mini would be ok IMO.
Me personally, I keep all of music on my iPad, and that's the only thing I use it for in the car. As far as safety goes, in my opinion, bigger is better. If its easier to see and read then it's taking less time and concentration to use.

iPhone, and iPad mini are too small to read the words quickly and easily therefore taking your eyes off of the road for a longer period of time. The iPad is larger than any OEM in car display this side of the Tesla and where I have it located your finger easily navigates it with your hand resting ontop the shifter.

I guess if the iPhone/iPad interface worked better in the car I wouldn't need it, but it's so horrible that it takes way more time and concentration to select music from the built in stereo controls.

Funny thing is, I'm so addicted to "iCrap" that I don't even own a cell phone. Of any kind. So I use it strictly for music.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:00 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by dustinr
Me personally, I keep all of music on my iPad, and that's the only thing I use it for in the car. As far as safety goes, in my opinion, bigger is better. If its easier to see and read then it's taking less time and concentration to use.

iPhone, and iPad mini are too small to read the words quickly and easily therefore taking your eyes off of the road for a longer period of time. The iPad is larger than any OEM in car display this side of the Tesla and where I have it located your finger easily navigates it with your hand resting ontop the shifter.

I guess if the iPhone/iPad interface worked better in the car I wouldn't need it, but it's so horrible that it takes way more time and concentration to select music from the built in stereo controls.

Funny thing is, I'm so addicted to "iCrap" that I don't even own a cell phone. Of any kind. So I use it strictly for music.
Bigger is always better, eh? Then maybe F350 should be the next car.

Kidding aside, I really don't get it. You are covering your Air condition control, PASM, PSM, Sport mode, etc... just to have access to music? Like as-if a Mini would not be usable, or just an iPod connected to PCM wouldn't do? Doesn't make sense to me one bit... I got a 64gb iPod touch connected via PCM in the glovebox, all I do is to create some good playlists and then go with that. I never wanna pick/search/change artists or songs while driving that much anyways, just create some good playlists and even the aftermarket crap iPod controls on the 997.1 would do just fine.

Isn't iPad super glossy anyways? Can you even read it in sunlight? I doubt so, also a bigger surface to navigate with your fingers is more of a distraction than a smaller size IMO. This is quite dangerous and in most jurisdictions would be illegal.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:05 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't get it either. To each their own.
I wasted good money on the Dennison unit so I could connect my iPod...it works fine, but all I'm listening to the Symphony in Flat Six.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:48 PM
dustinr
Instructor

I guess I'm too musically ADD for playlists... I'm always changing what I listen to and the Ipod control thats built into the PCM stereo is horribly slow and way to cumbersome. The way I see it, The HVAC is automatic, its set to a predetermined temp. Upon starting the car and I never ever change it so I don't need quick access to those controls. I rarely use Nav in my own town, and I don't ever listen to the radio so as far as needing access to the stereo controls, I don't...i just need access to the volume which is on the far left and my finger reaches it just fine, it sticks out the side of the iPad perfectly. This isn't a permanent installation either...it goes in and out of the holder in three seconds and I take the iPad with me whenever I leave the car.

I just found another cool feature too...
If you have a Valentine 1 and have the bluetooth module you can access an app that has some cool V1 controls along with more detailed monitoring info...

Old 05-15-2014, 11:27 PM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Alpine 7" touchscreen with a 120Gig iPod in the glove. Screw the PCM altogether.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:44 PM
joelpirela
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the only way I would do an ipad on the 997:

Old 05-16-2014, 06:49 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

dont you hit it when you shift?
Old 05-17-2014, 12:35 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,127 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by joelpirela
This is the only way I would do an ipad on the 997:
is that yours? I recall a DIY and your name...
Old 05-17-2014, 09:08 PM
dustinr
Instructor

Nope doesn't hit when you shift. I like the above built in unit, thats sweet, but my option cost me $39 to design and build, replacing the factory stereo is a PITA in these cars. And when i do use the NAV I like that it displays the directions onto the tach read-out. Any aftermarket system wont do that that I'm aware of, so you loose functionality by switching. My holder works well for what I wanted and its not mounted so it can be removed in seconds. Or you can leave it in place and just remove the iPad. I thought it was kind of cool but I guess Im alone in that thought...haha. But after 91,000 miles of dealing with the crappy PCM controls this is way better.

Quick Reply: Custom iPad Holder