Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this rust under the door sill?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 01:57 PM
magicjack
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is this rust under the door sill?

I have removed both stock door sills (for new carbon fiber ones) and I noticed water underneath both sills. Ironically the last time the car saw water was 1 week before, during a wash!

The adhesive on the underside of the sill doesn't go to the edge of the actual sill, which creates a potential space for water to sit.

The paint looked fine except one spot which was bumpy. I was concerned about early rust so I wet sanded some of the spot (see pic).

Maybe some rust? Any advice on proceeding?

I was thinking of sanding down to metal to make sure, apply primer, paint then clear coat. This will be covered with a carbon fiber sill, so I'm concerned about corrosion protection rather than looks.

I will likely put silicone around the entire sill to prevent water from getting under the new carbon fiber sills. I feel this is a design flaw with Porsche's oem sills.
Attached Images   

Last edited by magicjack; 05-12-2014 at 03:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-12-2014, 02:14 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

It looks like you have already sanded down to bare metal in the middle. What's left doesn't look like rust. To be safe you can apply some POR to the surface and let it convert rust if it is present.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:41 PM
Mojo31
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful with the silicone, you could inadvertently create a barrier that traps moisture. Better to let the water flow out if it gets under there.

Quick Reply: Is this rust under the door sill?