Sponsored by:

Front Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 12:57 PM
atx.911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Question

I have to replace my front rotors and brake pads. I am buying the front rotors and front brake pads. I am also buying the 2 front brake sensors.

My question is do I need to buy any other parts if replacing them? There is a $68 kit that Pelican parts recommends. Also there are screws and of course they also recommend replacing the brake sensors. Is all that really necessary?

Tension Spring Kit they recommend
Old 05-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Cbst09
Racer

I didn't replace the tension spring and reused the brake sensors when I recently did mine. Not sure how old your car is or how many miles on it but I think you are usually fine reusing those items. The one thing that is recommended is to get new bolts that attach the brake calipers. And for the vibration dampers I would re-use those as well. If you wind up replacing everything that is recommended it starts to get very expensive when you add up all the dampers, sensors, tension springs, etc. IMHO I think those items can all be re-used if they appear in good condition.

P.S. be very careful removing the sensors as they can break if you are not careful doing it.

Last edited by Cbst09; 05-09-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:06 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

There was a great DIY replacement on here a few weeks back, 4 screenshots and an easy to follow set of instructions that I can't seem to locate. However, try this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-tutorial.html

May have some information on all the tools/parts needed. I believe there are a number of parts you can reuse if you carefully remove them. Apologies, I know it's not the exact answer you're looking for but hopefully this helps.

Take care,

KS
Old 05-09-2014, 01:55 PM
atx.911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cbst09
I didn't replace the tension spring and reused the brake sensors when I recently did mine. Not sure how old your car is or how many miles on it ...
It's an '06 911 S with 32k miles on it.

Originally Posted by ksozay
There was a great DIY replacement on here a few weeks back..
Thanks, I'll check it out!
Old 05-09-2014, 02:18 PM
fnel1771
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You should also repalce the caliper bolts when changing disks. Many people re-use them but it is recommended, since the stretch when installed. Use the correct torque to avoid stripping!
Old 05-09-2014, 03:37 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

BTW, there are recent threads about using non-OEM pads (I like Hawk Ceramics) to dramatically reduce dusting. You may also want to consider a coated rotor to reduce rusting in the non-wear area in the center of the rotor where the fins are, it helps keep the wheel barrels cleaner when you wash the car and wheels and the rust gets thrown off the rotor when you do the post-wash drive, requiring a second touch-up of the wheels. (At least that is how it goes for me since I also wash the barrels every time).

I reused the front sensors but they hadn't started to wear yet. If yours are showing wear you should replace. Removing the sensors without breaking them requires care, the retaining spring really locks it in there. I found it easiest to safe remove by breaking away the remaining pad material on the old pad next to the hole that the sensor sits in, then sliding the sensor out sideways. On my previous car I broke the sensor trying the pull it out the way it goes in. The plastic is pretty brittle.

I reused the springs and the sticky-backed vibration dampers that sit between the pad and the piston. I used a sharpened putty knife to pop these off the pad before pulling the pad off, but I wasn't replacing the rotors and had left the calipers on. Since you are doing rotors and pulling the calipers, you should be able to pop these off. If they are still fairly sticky you can probably reuse them, although it is not officially recommended. Regrettably, they aren't cheap and it is hard on aftermarket sites to determine which ones are right for your car. I have the ones I didn't use for sale on eBay, I got the right ones for the rear but ended up not using them... I got the wrong ones for the front but it didn't matter anyway. duh. If you have the luxury to work on your car when the dealer parts department is open, you can wait and see if and how many you need, then only go pick up the ones you end up requiring. I wish I had done this. I only ended up stuck because I bought mine from an aftermarket dealer at a discount.

The other threads are (there may be others):
https://rennlist.com/forums/'
997-forum/812343-installed-hawk-ceramic-brake-pads-on-a-997-2-a.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...placement.html

Quick Reply: Front Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Question