Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did porsche deliberately put ancient tech in its cars audio system till the 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014 | 12:11 PM
vern1
Race Car

Sounds good to me! A lot better than my ipad

Sounds worse than anything you've had in 25 years?? Pleeeeeease!! Driving Bentley's all that time?
Old 05-08-2014 | 01:17 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Here's Porsche's response to your question.

This add was in the latest edition of PCA-Golden Gate Region newsletter.

Oh yeah, I think the Bose is just fine for my 997. I rarely even turn it on.

Have a good day everyone!
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2014 | 02:33 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Originally Posted by vern1
Sounds worse than anything you've had in 25 years?? Pleeeeeease!! Driving Bentley's all that time?
No, but the sound in my Excursion, my wife's Mini, the kids' old Windstar, my old F-350s, our old Volvo 850, etc. - ALL have had markedly better sound.
Old 05-08-2014 | 03:47 PM
vern1
Race Car

i dunno, in my old Windstar i think i could hear a couple of octaves missing.....

It may not be the best in the automotive business but I feel you're being a tad over the top on your assessment
Old 05-08-2014 | 04:38 PM
Para82
Race Car

The 911 comes with a radio? Didn't notice..
Old 05-08-2014 | 07:23 PM
SecretAsianMan
Instructor

We get it - some people don't care about music in their cars.

Some people do.
Old 05-09-2014 | 10:32 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
As compared to what?!?!?!?!

I have to say that the Bose in mine is hands-down the worst audio I've had in any car I've driven in the past 25 years - seriously.

What do you guys listen to that you don't hear whole octaves completely missing? The bass response is an absolute disaster - a range of about three notes are loud as @#$%, and the rest is non-existent.....

I am honestly baffled as to how anyone could think this thing sounds even close to acceptable.

Yours is probably broke then. I know they left some parts outta yellow 997.1's when they were made.
Old 05-09-2014 | 05:08 PM
vern1
Race Car

^^ maybe its missing the on button
Old 05-09-2014 | 05:20 PM
jmt053
Advanced

I agree that the Bose system is pretty weak. The usual no highs, no lows, must be Bose. That said, other than aftermarket upgraded systems or just speakers, I haven't found any OEM sounds systems particularly impressive. My Mercedes has a Harmon Kardon system. It has no adjustments other than bass and treble. It's very bass oriented and cannot be equalized. Most new systems are very bass oriented to appeal to younger buyers.
My home stereo on the other hand sounds great. Then again I don't get a lot of engine or tire noise in the living room...
In truth I don't listen to much on the radio in the 911. I far prefer to listen to the engine and not get distracted from "occasionally spirited" driving.
Old 05-09-2014 | 08:15 PM
Perk10
Pro

Originally Posted by jmt053
In truth I don't listen to much on the radio in the 911. I far prefer to listen to the engine and not get distracted from "occasionally spirited" driving.
x2!

Dension iPod, Tooki Bluetooth, OEM Nav, BOSE... I'm satisfied. I mean I rarely turn the stereo up anyways, as I enjoy listening to the car while I shift.
Old 05-09-2014 | 09:09 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

I have the Bose in my 997.1, and the standard stereo (there was a Harmon-Kardon option) in an E-Class M-B. There's so much more wind, road and engine noise in the Porsche, not to mention a few rattles, and that the rear speakers are blocked if the rear seat backs are upright, that the sound in the Mercedes does seem better. But I don't expect a car to be a concert hall, especially not a sports car. My favorite times in the Porsche are with the windows and sunroof open. I can crank the radio up and it's just fine with me. The only gripe I had with the system compared to the one in the 997.2 is the lack of Bluetooth, but after all it's an '05. I put a Tranzit-Blu HF in it recently, problem solved, and for a lot less than upgrading to a .2!
Old 05-13-2014 | 04:32 PM
Minok
Drifting

Ok, for the benefit of the posters at least in this thread, because we need to speak a common language if we are to make any sense from what is written:

ancient - belonging to the very distant past and no longer in existence.
joke - a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline.
Old 05-13-2014 | 05:38 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think it's fine for the car, not necesarily the price of the system. My radio is on all the time and it is just loud enough for me to hear it. It really just fills in when I am stopped at a light or it's raining. I understand that it is crappy compared to cars this expensive. My boss has a CLS550 and the stereo on that thing is absolutely stunning. I have never heard a car stereo sound that good. He also had some kind of glass insulation so you could not hear anything outside. I don't need that in my car nor would I want it.

I am responsible for electronics at Pep Boys and car stereos are my responsibility. I have access to damn near anything anyone makes and can get it installed at no cost. I have not changed anything other than adding Dension for BT for the simple reason than the radio sounds fine.

My 91 Grand Wagoneer on the other hand had a horrific OE radio and now sounds better than my wife's benz or my 997 but I don't really care to listen to that engine.
Old 05-14-2014 | 07:34 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Little Green
My 91 Grand Wagoneer on the other hand had a horrific OE radio and now sounds better than my wife's benz or my 997 but I don't really care to listen to that engine.
Holy ancient tech!! Wagoneer!!?? That has to be one of the last ones still on the road. That's awesome! Those were like ancient tech when they first came out. Cudos for keeping it living...seriously. I haven't seen one on the road in a long time.
Old 05-14-2014 | 12:20 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

To answer the original question.....because we as Porsche buyers continue to buy the cars and therefore allow the company to put whatever THEY think we want.

Quick Reply: Why did porsche deliberately put ancient tech in its cars audio system till the 997.2