Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMS seal removal to prevent failure. Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 02:53 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Again, be more concerned with rod bolt failures on the track than IMSB issues. This is especially true with the S engines as their larger bores have heavier pistons and increase the changeover loads on the rod bolts dramatically. Couple this to the characteristic of the steeper rod angle of the 82.8mm crank of the 3.6 and 3.8 with the shorter rod that these engines use and its a formula that doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:31 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
No, rod bolt failure.. The rod bolt stretched and loosened.. It just fell out and was laying in the sump unharmed.

When the opposing bolt broke, it became Kathleen's Kataclysmic Kalamity.
Was that car over-reved? If so, how badly was it over-reved?
Old 04-29-2014, 09:09 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

This engine saw no over revs.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:06 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

This engine saw no over revs.
I am curious about this engine. You indicated it was a base engine ( 3.6L, presumably) and not tracked. Why would it fail so early with street use? Overheated? Oil issues?
Old 04-29-2014, 11:50 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Fahrer

I am curious about this engine. You indicated it was a base engine ( 3.6L, presumably) and not tracked. Why would it fail so early with street use? Overheated? Oil issues?
Rod bolt failure.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:15 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by voda
Then don't read it! This is a 997 forum. This is a 997 question/thread. If you don't like to look at facts and would rather bury your head in the sand, then by all means do. You're the one choosing to click the mouse to select the topic and read the thread. Solution for your headache is easier than the solution for IMS issues.
Then YOU MUST READ the ten zillion threads on this matter before posting over and over again same BS on the same topic!!!
Old 04-29-2014, 08:16 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Again, be more concerned with rod bolt failures on the track than IMSB issues. This is especially true with the S engines as their larger bores have heavier pistons and increase the changeover loads on the rod bolts dramatically. Couple this to the characteristic of the steeper rod angle of the 82.8mm crank of the 3.6 and 3.8 with the shorter rod that these engines use and its a formula that doesn't make a lot of sense.
Curious to know what do you recommend as preventative, either active or passive measures? and if there is anything to change/update to make the M97 less prone to failure on track? I guess frequent oil change without saying is #1!
Old 05-01-2014, 01:33 PM
///zhp04
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2006 Carrera S with 59k and I am getting ready to replace my clutch. Therefore, it seems prudent to at least inspect and pull the seal on my IMS bearing. I have a few questions before moving forward.

1) Do I need to lock-down the IMS gear with studs and place the locks on the camshafts before removing the IMS flange?

2) How much of the bearing is submerged in the sump oil under normal operating conditions?

3) Should I go the extra mile and install a direct oil feed setup?

Thanks
Old 05-01-2014, 01:43 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ///zhp04
I have a 2006 Carrera S with 59k and I am getting ready to replace my clutch. Therefore, it seems prudent to at least inspect and pull the seal on my IMS bearing. I have a few questions before moving forward.

1) Do I need to lock-down the IMS gear with studs and place the locks on the camshafts before removing the IMS flange?

2) How much of the bearing is submerged in the sump oil under normal operating conditions?

Thanks
Change the clutch, RMS, oil, and be done with it! You can't do anything on '06, and not that it needs it!!! This IMS paranoia is ridiculous!
Old 05-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Absolutely. You must treat this job just like an IMS Retrofit. If not, and the flange comes off at the wrong position, you are screwed.

Over 1/3 of the IMSB is submerged.

You already have a direct oil feed.. The bearing sits in the sump, how much more direct can one get? You can't.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:07 PM
///zhp04
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the expert guidance Jake.

I'll do a bit more research and then start buying all the tools and parts necessary to replace the clutch, RMS, and seal removal.

From my point of view that buys a lot of peace of mind for less than $1k.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Absolutely. You must treat this job just like an IMS Retrofit. If not, and the flange comes off at the wrong position, you are screwed.

Over 1/3 of the IMSB is submerged.

You already have a direct oil feed.. The bearing sits in the sump, how much more direct can one get? You can't.
But when the engine is running isn't the oil level lower? Also, I believe the centrifugal force from the outer portion of the bearing spinning may make it difficult for oil to enter?
Old 05-01-2014, 03:52 PM
josephmonaco924
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are many posts on the IMS. I have an 06 and would never even consider doing anything to the IMS. After 05 there are no issues in my opinion.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:54 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by josephmonaco924
There are many posts on the IMS. I have an 06 and would never even consider doing anything to the IMS. After 05 there are no issues in my opinion.
We were receiving 40-50 emails per eek regarding failure prevention on the 06 and later engines (and some M97 IMSB fitted 2005s) and I finally took the time to create an extensive directive about what should be done and when. Anyone who wants a copy of this email jud@rabyenginedevelopment.com

It is copyright protected material, so I have chosen not to publish it online.

Some engines need more attention on the IMS topic than others.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:35 AM
RNBM
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove IMS seal or leave alone

I have a 2008 997. 1s with a 190k miles. I pulled the tranny to do a clutch replacement and RMS Etc. RMS look good but the IMS seal was leaking. There was crud all around the IMS flange and few drops of oil, but there was no oil leaking out of the transmission. I guess you would call this seeping and not leaking. Here's the questions.
1. Should I just leave the whole IMS alone. It's leaking already. Isn't the leaking oil im seeing now similar to what i will see if i removing the seal. I would like to avoid removing the seal because it sounds like a lot of work to replace the seal. Locking cams Etc is it really worth it. Just to remove seal?
2. If I do remove the seal how much oil leaks out. Am I going to start to see oil leaking out of the transmission housing.
3. If I do remove the seal should I try and repack the bearing with grease. Didn't know that I could repack the bearing with grease while it's still in the engine. I've only packed bearings with grease by Rolling them in my hand.

Quick Reply: IMS seal removal to prevent failure. Anyone?