Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do the little shark-fin tabs on LCAs do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014 | 09:24 AM
BigTex
Advanced

Default What do the little shark-fin tabs on LCAs do?

I got sloppy yesterday while I was pulling stock bushings from a new LCA, prepping it for solid caster bushings and mono-*****, and knocked off one of the two parallel ~3mm shark-fin tabs on the top of the arm itself (can't upload a pic for some reason--I will try again later). I have a few questions:

1. Does it serve a function on the car (a 997 C2S with PASM), or should I not worry about it?

2. If it does serve a purpose on the car, is it specific to the front or rear? I am doing all four corners, and could put it in front or back.

3. Does anyone know of a source for the TRW LCA *without* the caster bushings or inner bushings? It was a lot more work to strip those out than I had planned.

Thanks to all,

Noah
Old 04-20-2014 | 09:12 PM
BigTex
Advanced

Still can't post pictures for some reason, but they are clearly visible in this image from our friends at Pelican:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...105317-M80.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Noah
Old 04-21-2014 | 12:29 AM
mdrums
Race Director

I think those are for mounting brake ducts on. My Porsche GT3 Cup LCA's don't have them as far as I know and I bed mount GT3 and GT2 brake ducts.
Old 04-21-2014 | 07:24 AM
BigTex
Advanced

That was my first thought, but then I came across this:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...e-911-gts.html

The 7th pic down shows some sort of height sensor on the front that looks like it sits against these little tabs, but the brake ducts look like they mount to the thrust control arm. In the rear it looks like nothing sits against them at all, but I wondered if anyone knew better--Edmunds is not exactly the first name that comes to mind in Porsche suspension engineering.

Does anyone know of a use for them out back?

Thanks again,

Noah
Old 04-21-2014 | 09:22 AM
mdrums
Race Director

That sensors is for the head adjustment. When I get a chance today I will look under my car. Do the fin hit against bump stops maybe?
Old 04-22-2014 | 02:00 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Control Arm Fins

Just replaced my complete suspension with RSS Components. Although all 4 control arms have the fins, they're only used on one side of the car or the other and are there to properly position the control arm bracket that the Litronic Headlight Sensors adjust to for the auto-leveling feature. There is one on the Driver's side front and driver's side rear control arm and there's a little arm that attaches to the bracket that mounts on those tabs. Based on readings from the front and back sensor boxes is how the headlights adjust to remain level under various load and driving conditions. If you don't have Litronic headlights, then the control arms probably still have the shark fin tabs but you don't have the plastic bracket that has the sensor arm attach to it and you don't need to worry about the tab that's broken off.

Brake Cooling duct scoops don't mount to the control arms.
Attached Images     
Old 04-22-2014 | 10:50 PM
BigTex
Advanced

Thanks a lot Pete, that is just what I needed to know!

Have a great evening,

Noah

Quick Reply: What do the little shark-fin tabs on LCAs do?