Sponsored by:

C4s exhaust note

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 05:49 PM
Cbst09
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
My Porsche tech discouraged me from the PSE….he told me the Tubi or Cargraphic was the way to go (I think he said Cargraphic was better for the Turbo).

Got the Tubi and I love it! Relatively quiet until 3K and then the sound show begins……love the Tubi! No drone either.

Tom
The aftermarket exhaust should not affect the warranty. I just purchased a car yesterday that has the fabspeed mufflers on it and the Porsche dealer I bought it from sold it as a CPO vehicle with a full 2 year warranty. With that said I will be selling the fabspeed mufflers shortly. Too loud for my wifes taste. Stay tuned for the listing

Last edited by Cbst09; 04-26-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:22 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
My Porsche tech discouraged me from the PSE….he told me the Tubi or Cargraphic was the way to go (I think he said Cargraphic was better for the Turbo).

Got the Tubi and I love it! Relatively quiet until 3K and then the sound show begins……love the Tubi! No drone either.

Tom
Thanks for the good feedback Tom. pc007, did you make a final decision?
Old 04-26-2014, 06:22 AM
Pc007
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys, for all your information and opinion sharing!
About Porsche warranty, I'm almost certain that it would be affected. Already asked the dealer and waiting for an answer. I heard of a story of a guy that lost warranty because he changed the wipers outside Porsche....when he activated the warranty, the car was inspected and they declined the payment because the car didn't have Porsche official wipers....it depends on the person analysing it.

As for comparing systems, I would probably go for:

1- PSE
2- TUBI or Scorpion

The problem is that PSE it's probably much more than 4.000 dls in Europe, ( 3.000 euros aprox.), probably will go for the 10.000 range or more!!! I also asked the dealer for prices.

You guys get awesome prices for these things in the US!

Just for comparison, what's the price on the TUBI system?

StormRune, you can hijack my threads anytime, you have the same dilemma, so your just helping me also! Did you decide already?

Thanks
Old 04-26-2014, 10:14 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 359 Posts

StormRune, you can hijack my threads anytime, you have the same dilemma, so your just helping me also! Did you decide already?
Well... yes. I spent the last week paining over the idea of spending $4k to get the PSE and while I had the wife's okay for the splurge I just couldn't pull the trigger, especially with a couple of other choices that looked attractive for much less. I spent the week looking carefully over the forums, listening to video clips, and exchanging emails with a couple of vendors.

A big part of your decision depends on what you are looking for. I decided switchable wasn't a big deal. I wanted something a bit louder and more distinct sounding, but not so loud that I wouldn't be comfortable running with it turned on all of the time. I wanted to avoid any significant drone. I prefer the lower German Porsche sound over the more raspy Italian sound.

I have to give tremendous kudos to Rhonda at FVD. I was 98% hooked after I emailed her with a description of what I was looking for and she provided the most precise set of answers I could have hoped for. She is very good at this and gave me very clear direction on which of their products would work best for me. Furthermore, it was the cheapest of all of the solutions they offer, so she clearly wasn't just after my money. I recommend emailing her if you are considering an FVD product: rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net. I was going to order from her on Monday but a development occurred.

The other contender I was interested in was one of Fabspeed's dual-tone exhausts. From the videos they sound really close to what I was looking for AND they give me the chance to change between two sound levels so I can switch if I want more or less.

Since I am really risk adverse, the ideal to me was going to be to find one of my strong preferences in the used market. That way if I ended up not liking my choice, I could turn around and resell it without a big loss. But these things don't seem to show up for sale very often from what I could see in the forum and eBay histories. I was ready to go with Rhonda's recommendation of their $1895 Sport Brombacher Sport exhaust. I figured I could tune it a little louder or softer by using or removing the Fabspeed X-pipe I already have to get just what I was looking for.

But then a good turn of luck struck with Cbst09's post #31 on this thread, just above. As I was contacting him to inquire about his Fabspeed dual-tone he posted it for sale in the Marketplace... just yesterday morning. I jumped on it. Also FYI, I'm aware that Cbst09 is also selling some other things, changing some things up after just buying his new P-car. His pricing was very reasonable, he was very honest and responsive to my questions, and he shipped the exhaust to me right away. He also took care of a mis-estimation in shipping cost at his own expense... he's a real stand-up guy. It should be here on Wednesday. I should get it on the car next weekend... I'll make a post letting you know what it is like.

The nice thing I see with the Fabspeed is its dual tone behavior. Since I have the Fabspeed X-pipe on the car now, I hope the combination hits the ideal that Fabspeed was looking for in their design. Since I also have the original OEM center muffler stored away, it gives me four sound level options to play with by switching combinations of X-pipe/stock center with the quieter/louder inlet. If I can't find something I like with that many choices I'm just hopeless.

Sorry my answer ran long. The bottom line is: it depends on what you really want: switchable, lower tone vs raspy, louder vs more conservative. Remember that the FD Motorsports gundo-like hack is also available for the lowest cost. However, I had that for a while on my 2006 C4 and despite many posts saying that it sounds like PSE, it really didn't come close for me when I did a back-to-back comparison with my car vs a true PSE I was able to get a ride in.

Quick Reply: C4s exhaust note