I have a Tubi and love it!

Tom
Old 04-20-2014, 06:24 AM
Pc007
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi guys

Thanks for the input.

Any of you know if changing the pipes will make me Loose the Porsche guarantee?

Ill ask here in the dealer, but i would like to know your experience

Thanks
Old 04-20-2014, 08:57 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

My dealer told me no. But I saved the OEM so can change it out if need be. Warranty of course doesn't cover the replacement aftermarket parts. For lowering springs for example I've been t old by another dealer that it may void the warranty of related parts should something fail and after analysis they deem it to be related to the lowering springs. Not sure how they will accurately test for that though.....seems fluffy.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:50 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Pc007
Hi guys

Thanks for the input.

Any of you know if changing the pipes will make me Loose the Porsche guarantee?

Ill ask here in the dealer, but i would like to know your experience

Thanks
As long as you keep the cats and only replace/modify the muffler system, you should be OK. But remember, I am not your dealer, so YMMV.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:54 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 358 Posts

I agree with the above opinions. Generally for a warranty claim to be denied, they would have to show that the modification could reasonably have been to blame for the failure. With most of the mainstream cat-back exhausts out there, it would be very unlikely that they could be responsible for any failure unless it was some bizarre creation (like it added a lot of additional back-pressure). In Porsche land exhaust mods are so common I think you'll find they are widely accepted.

Of course, if you opt to get the Tequipment PSE upgrade and have it installed by the dealer, then you'd be OEM all of the way and there is no chance of a problem.

Last edited by StormRune; 04-20-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:06 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

How much $ do you want to spend? Tubi and Fabspeed make a great exhaust mod. But for under a $1k U.S. dollars you can have a SharkWerks center bypass exhaust that sounds great and adds hp/T. And is a quality product from a quality company. I have no affiliation to SWs but I do have their bypass mod and it is very nice. I would start there. If you have $3-4 thousand dollars, by all means buy the PSE. GL.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:10 PM
Pc007
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys

Ill problably go PSE, i dont Want to Loose warranty on my car. Do you guys have an idea on the price? Is it really 3/4.000 dolars?

Thanks
Old 04-20-2014, 07:51 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

I didn't mean to imply that you would lose warranty with the other options, they are something you should strongly consider if you aren't comfortable spending the money I'll describe below.

I've been strongly considering the PSE option and have done a fair amount of investigation. For me the PSE makes a lot of sense due to the fact it is switchable to "quiet" and I live in a very quiet neighborhood and in general don't want to roar around everywhere I go.

With my PCA discount, my dealer wants $2600 (plus tax) for the hardware (part number 99704420006) not including the dash switch if you don't already have the Sport Chrono. They want a little over $1400 for the installation work, which by the book shows 10 hours but they will discount that a little too. Online, the best price I've found is $2269.53 plus $220 for shipping to Austin. I plan on trying to negotiate with the local dealer one more time to see if I can get just a little more price break, but that still puts it around $4000 (I already have Sport Chrono so I don't think any new dash switch is required... this is the last point of confusion I have).

I considered doing the PSE myself as I'm pretty handy with these things, but after finally finding the factory installation instructions and seeing how much has to be done to do it to factory specs, I think I'm willing to pay the dealer to get the warranty and not have to worry about breaking anything myself. Of course, you could do a less proper install that doesn't do factory switching and save some money on the installation cost. I think the resale will be better with an official dealer installation though. So many variables to consider!

Another option some people choose for switchable volume is the Fabspeed Maxflo dual-tone version (Cargraphic makes one too as someone pointed out). That is "only" $2370 at Vivid Racing. In my thinking, that already gets me close enough to the PSE to just cough up the difference and go with a sound I've heard and know I love.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:03 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
it around $4000 (I already have Sport Chrono so I don't think any new dash switch is required... this is the last point of confusion I have).
Believe you may get another switch on the centre stack that has a tailpipe pic on it for PSE....I have sports chrono with no PSE.

Exhaust I have Cargraphic with Sharkwerks centre bypass, no quiet mode.

To the OP - go out and listen to as many variations you can, best way to decide....online vids typically don't give true indication of sound. Also don't worry about warranty, but if you are....PSE is your route.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:34 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Pc007
Thanks guys

Ill problably go PSE, i dont Want to Loose warranty on my car. Do you guys have an idea on the price? Is it really 3/4.000 dolars?

Thanks
SUncoast Porsche has the PSE for $2,592. IIRC, I paid $2,400 2-1/2 years ago and dealer charged me $900 to install, including the wiring for the PSE switch.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:43 PM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for Tubi again, but it isn't the cheapest sound mod.
My only regret with going to Tubi was not doing it earlier.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:03 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

I'm sort of hijacking the thread here, but I think it is for the mutual benefit of OP PC007.

Can any of the Tubi drivers share more detail about the sound? My particular questions would be:
  • Is the sound reasonable when cruising around the neighborhood or parking garage as long as I drive gently?
  • Is there any drone at a normal cruising RPM? (I don't mind distinct exhaust sound, but I had one car whose modded exhaust would develop a steady loud hum right at 60-70 mph and took it off due to that).
  • Are you familiar enough with the PSE sound to compare relative to that? It is my only direct frame of reference.

Thanks for any additional input you can provide. Also just discovered the FVD option, so input there would be helpful as well.

Last edited by StormRune; 04-22-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:31 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

My statement in post 23 above "I already have Sport Chrono so I don't think any new dash switch is required... this is the last point of confusion I have" has been positively answered, at least for a 997.2. I went to the Porsche CPO site and scanned all of the listings until I found a car with both Sport Chrono Plus and the Sport Exhaust, then looked for photos of the buttons on the dash. Here is the answer in the attached photo. It has all of my buttons plus the PSE toggle on the right. Editing: If you have all the same options I do, then the switch that is needed for the PSE kit is part # 99761356301A05.
SWITCH CONSOLE FOR EXHAUST MUFFLER "SWITCHABLE" SYSTEM
Code: 99761356301A05

Please check your vehicle options
I030 -SPORT TYPE CHASSIS
I176 -SPORT EXHAUST (which you would be fitting)
I250 -PDK TRASMISSION
I475 -PASM ELECTRONIC DAMPER CONTROL
I476 -PORSCHE STABILITY MANAGEMENT PSM
I639 -SPORT CHRONO PACKAGE
I640 -SPORT CHRONO PACKAGE PLUS
Also, I'm still struggling with the idea of paying $4k for the PSE (with a big chunk of that in labor), so I'm still looking at systems from FVD, Fabspeed, and Tubi that are somewhat less expensive and may or may not sound "better" subjectively. To get myself out of analysis paralysis, I've promised myself and my wife that I'll decide by the end of this coming weekend and make my order on Monday.
Attached Images  

Last edited by StormRune; 04-22-2014 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Added Part #
Old 04-22-2014, 05:12 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I didn't mean to imply that you would lose warranty with the other options, they are something you should strongly consider if you aren't comfortable spending the money I'll describe below.

I've been strongly considering the PSE option and have done a fair amount of investigation. For me the PSE makes a lot of sense due to the fact it is switchable to "quiet" and I live in a very quiet neighborhood and in general don't want to roar around everywhere I go.

With my PCA discount, my dealer wants $2600 (plus tax) for the hardware (part number 99704420006) not including the dash switch if you don't already have the Sport Chrono. They want a little over $1400 for the installation work, which by the book shows 10 hours but they will discount that a little too. Online, the best price I've found is $2269.53 plus $220 for shipping to Austin. I plan on trying to negotiate with the local dealer one more time to see if I can get just a little more price break, but that still puts it around $4000 (I already have Sport Chrono so I don't think any new dash switch is required... this is the last point of confusion I have).

I considered doing the PSE myself as I'm pretty handy with these things, but after finally finding the factory installation instructions and seeing how much has to be done to do it to factory specs, I think I'm willing to pay the dealer to get the warranty and not have to worry about breaking anything myself. Of course, you could do a less proper install that doesn't do factory switching and save some money on the installation cost. I think the resale will be better with an official dealer installation though. So many variables to consider!

Another option some people choose for switchable volume is the Fabspeed Maxflo dual-tone version (Cargraphic makes one too as someone pointed out). That is "only" $2370 at Vivid Racing. In my thinking, that already gets me close enough to the PSE to just cough up the difference and go with a sound I've heard and know I love.
$4000 + tax for PSE = insanity (in my humble opinion)

You can do the gundo for couple of hundered bucks. This has been extensively described/discussed in previous threads.

The gundo is PSE without the switch. Its the same sound at a fraction of the cost. If you are not aggresive on the throttle then you can easily drive home through a quiet neighbourhood with no drama

And I dont think I have ever heard of someone warranty being affected by the gundo. Its just a 6" cross pipe on the mufflers

If you are determined to pay that kind of dough at least go for the Tubi or equivalent
Old 04-22-2014, 05:21 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

My Porsche tech discouraged me from the PSE….he told me the Tubi or Cargraphic was the way to go (I think he said Cargraphic was better for the Turbo).

Got the Tubi and I love it! Relatively quiet until 3K and then the sound show begins……love the Tubi! No drone either.

Tom

Quick Reply: C4s exhaust note