Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak after winter storage normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 06:21 PM
Bigbwb
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default oil leak after winter storage normal?

Hello folks,
I just got out my 2006 Carerra S out of storage for the winter (live in WI) and I noticed some drips of oil from under the rear end on the floor (need to look closer when I have time).

Just curious if the seals loosen up over time and leak being its not been driven since fall? Prior to this winter, there were no leaks at all. I have only owned the car for a year now, this was the first winter.

Details:
2006 997 911 S Convertible
41k miles

Thoughts?

Thank you,
Brandon
Old 04-01-2014, 06:48 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Next service have them put it up and check for signs of seepage/leaking in RMS area towards front of motor. Common and not a big deal (unless you are seeing puddles). Standard advice if this is the case is to wait for clutch to need replacement and do it then. Big savings in labor. I had seal replaced in my 06 at tail end of warranty and am getting slight seepage again after 4 years. Not sure whether inactivity and severe cold would exacerbate the issue but it's a known gremlin with these cars.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:21 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you put it away with less-than-fresh oil, the oil had contaminants that gradually ate away at the gaskets... OR... the gaskets lost some of their pliability and would be very well served by fresh oil and a thorough warming of the engine.

If first issue: Only new gasket (whichever it might be) is the fix

If second issue: Gasket should expand and remain expanded enough after fresh oil rejuvenates it and the heat helps expand it and restores some pliability. Def do this first before going crazy on anything else.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:42 PM
Bigbwb
Instructor

Great feedback guys, thank you. I am aware of the rms leak that's common but I'm hoping that's not it being it was dry prior to storage. We changed the oil last spring and only put less than 4k miles on her so I'm guessing the oils fresh, we will be changing it shortly.

I'm hoping you are right philster and that the gaskets lost pliability. With new oil and consistent driving, I'm hopeful the leak will disappear.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:56 AM
Nuvolari
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the car sat all winter then everything rubber looses its elasticity. You will find that after a few heat cycles the leak should slow or go away. Try and get under the car and hit the area around the leak with some brake cleaner or degreaser to really identify if the leak has stopped. Aluminum castings wet with oil will continue to weep for some time.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Bigbwb
Instructor

^^^Will do, thank you.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:33 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

All comments seem plausible. That said, haven't seen any posts reporting rms oil leaks after winter storage and the seal then recovering.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:52 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

Sorry, leaky gaskets are not generally known to regenerate themselves. Your leak may slow down, or appear to stop. Short term. But it is inevitable that you need to replace that gasket.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:01 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
Sorry, leaky gaskets are not generally known to regenerate themselves. Your leak may slow down, or appear to stop. Short term. But it is inevitable that you need to replace that gasket.
What you say is true in most cases. However, the RMS seal requires some internal pressure for it to seal correctly.

This was an issue for some of the guys that bought a 997 GT3. Some that would track it, and then let it sit for a few weeks at a time, were having RMS leaks. Porsche was saying that the diminished internal pressure caused by the car sitting idle for long periods of time, was allowing the seal to leak slightly.

I would drive it and see if the leak diminishes or stops completely. If it does stop leaking, great. If not, then the OP may want to consider replacing the Rear Main Seal.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:58 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regardless of conjecture OP should have visual inspection of leak. It could be unrelated to RMS. IMS also leaks but it is difficult to differentiate btwn the two w/o taking tranny off. I would not go that far. Could be any # of minor things. If it is RMS it has already been suggested that it can wait. If it stops leaking, great.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:29 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigbwb
Great feedback guys, thank you. I am aware of the rms leak that's common but I'm hoping that's not it being it was dry prior to storage. We changed the oil last spring and only put less than 4k miles on her so I'm guessing the oils fresh, we will be changing it shortly.

I'm hoping you are right philster and that the gaskets lost pliability. With new oil and consistent driving, I'm hopeful the leak will disappear.
I always change the oil in the fall before I park the car for winter.

Originally Posted by gota911
What you say is true in most cases. However, the RMS seals requires some internal pressure for it to seal correctly.

This was an issue for some of the guys that bought a 997 GT3. Some that would track it, and then let it sit for a few weeks at a time, were having RMS leaks. Porsche was saying that the diminished internal pressure caused by the car sitting idle for long periods of time, was allowing the seal to leak slightly.

I would drive it and see if the leak diminishes or stops completely. If it does stop leaking, great. If not, then the OP may want to consider replacing the Rear Main Seal.
+1

also, where in Wi are you?

Quick Reply: oil leak after winter storage normal?