Sponsored by:

Comments on powder coated or painted wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 03:25 PM
billp16
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comments on powder coated or painted wheels

I am a new member with a new to me '08 997.1 C2S. I currently have the 19-inch turbo wheels but am intrigued by the dark blue tuned 9ff Carrera in the latest Excellence, which has white wheels.
Anyone have experience with powder coated or painted wheels?
Old 03-28-2014, 04:25 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Why not try plastidip? If you don't like it can be removed.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:42 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

+1 for dip. Have been told white wheels are the devils work to keep clean
Old 03-28-2014, 05:30 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Powder coated my first set of wheels a year ago. Went through P-dealer and now, just over a year later, I noticed a dime sized circular chunk missing from one of the spokes (lobster forks). It is all the way to the rim and no residue on the rim so I think it either:

A. didn't adhere properly to begin with and so was susceptible to getting knocked off, or
B. adhered properly but got whacked exactly right and took the whole piece off down to the rim

Neither of the above theories sit well because Theory A implies that either it was a single "bad" spot that just happened to get hit exactly in the weak area or that the entire rim is not adhering properly which means I may see more such holes appear. But since I have only seen one in over a year, I have reasonable confidence in the overall integrity of the coating. Theory B implies that the powder coat is susceptible to getting knocked off, but as I said, this is the first hole in a year.

Overall, I'm satisfied because it only cost me $150/wheel which is significantly cheaper than acquiring new/used rims.
Attached Images  
Old 03-28-2014, 06:11 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I just bought a plastip kit. $75 shipped

4 cans of black
3 cans of copper metalizer

Hoping I'll get the same result as this

Old 03-28-2014, 06:34 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Was considering powder coating my rims (currently silver) black but at $500+ it was a hard decision to make if I decided I did not like the look. I have done a lot of research and obtained great feedback about Plastidip. I will plastidip my wheels this summer and if I don't like the look it's easy enough to reverse.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:19 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Wow buddha, you have to show us if your recipe worked ok. That is going to be magic
Old 03-28-2014, 07:20 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

I'm following the same recipe as this guy. 4 coats of black and 4 coats of copper. Apparently you can make it more bronze by using 2-3 coast of copper but I want that bright copper look =)
Old 03-28-2014, 07:37 PM
billp16
Cruisin'

Will have to check out the ideas. Thanks!
Old 03-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Captsteve123
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
I'm following the same recipe as this guy. 4 coats of black and 4 coats of copper. Apparently you can make it more bronze by using 2-3 coast of copper but I want that bright copper look =)
How much prep did you have to do prior to putting your first coat on? Fully sand rims? Also, did you unmount the tires before you painted? I like the look, but I want to paint mine Black.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:15 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

i plan on doing this. The wheel kit comes with a spray cleaner and the plastic bag

will post results next weekend when I receive the product and get to work. Will take pictures and document the process step by step.

Manny
Old 03-29-2014, 05:53 PM
Captsteve123
Instructor

I will be stopping at their shop in Coral Springs next week to pick up the Product. I'm doing gloss black. If I do not like the results, I will peel
It off. I want to do both the outside of my wheels and inside,as my 5 spoke pattern allows you to see the inside clearly.
I might just black my car out! Lol
Old 03-29-2014, 10:47 PM
Captsteve123
Instructor

I will be down next week in Coral Springs and I'm going to stop in and get the product. I want to coat inside and out of my 5 spoke rims.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:38 AM
WestCan997
Instructor

Over the years I think I have had just about every type of wheel you can name. Chrome, anodized, painted, powdercoated, polished and PlastiDipped.

I have had decent results with powder coating but my opinion is that the increase in durability over paint is not worth the effort or cost. When I have had wheels professionally painted the painter has given me a small bottle of paint from the paint batch he used to do touch ups on rims. I have tried and its real hard to do a touch up on powdercoated wheels

Here is a pic of powdercoated gloss black wheels on one the corvettes I used to own. When powdercoated wheels chip the chunks seem to be bigger and deeper than paint.

My current set of wheels on the car are the winters which I did using PlastiDip for the first time. My winters where a little beat up so I thought it was a good chance to see how black wheels would look. Prep is pretty easy as all you need to do is a good wash and a wipe down with 3M prep, tack and spray. I did make it a little more of a challenge by masking the lip which is not very easy with this stuff.

I have done a lot of body work and paint on my own stuff over the years and the best result I could get still has a fair amount of orange peel. When you are laying it down it kind of looks like spray in bed liner. In total I put on 4 coats and two coats of glossifer. If I was to do another set I not sure I would do the glossifer coat as it really makes the orange peel more pronounced. The result was good enough for a set of winter wheels but not the quality I would be happy with if I had done my OEM wheels.

I am going with just paint this time as my summer OEM wheels are currently being painted semi-gloss black with 1/4 polished lip.

Quick Reply: Comments on powder coated or painted wheels