Sponsored by:

Beware of Jack Daniels Porsche!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 07:14 PM
targaC4S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
A pre inspection is only as good as the inspector and just like home inspections since the inspectors carry no liability for missed items it's mostly a "good feeling" thing to do with less integrity than your own investigation.
Not sure where you are from but here home inspectors are required by law to carry errors and omissions and general liability insurance for this exact reason....missing something imperative. However I believe a PPI is entirely different and I am surprised actual dealers still offer the service. Most do not. To the OP....go back and read whatever your uncle signed and then come back to us.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:26 AM
dw.metro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised that the dealers are still doing PPI's and taking on such liability for a mere $350...and especially from a customer who is out of state and will never go back for future service work.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:43 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

If you are old enough, and you ski, you may recall the days when a lift ticket was $10-$15. Then around 1980 or so Killington lost a negligence lawsuit and every ski resort who previously carried minimal liability insurance upped their coverage. And this wasn't cheap b/c insurers had little actuarial data. Alas, there was a big bump in the price of a lift ticket.

So what's my point? You can still find places/dealers who will do a PPI b/c the extent of their liability has not been fully determined in law. Sure, you can sign a waiver about the info in the PPI but a waiver does not cover an inspection that missed something through negligence (and that would be the buyer/complaintant' burden). I suppose many who do not offer a PPI just do not want to be a test case. Really though, if someone doing a PPI were up front about what would be inspected, how it would be inspected and what findings would be reported - and did each inspection competently (that is, not rushing through it), then I wonder about the extent of their liability

Hmm, I wonder if there is a business opportunity here?
Old 03-29-2014, 12:25 AM
rvp325carrera
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manager of JD is a friend. Solid place. I hear mostly the same thru word of mouth...

Sounds like an isolated incident.

Quick Reply: Beware of Jack Daniels Porsche!