Sponsored by:

Just had IMS failure on 2005 997

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 11:06 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by imsfails
Just got confirmation from the dealer that Prosche is covering it 100%. Earlier the dealer thought I would get a completely new engine. Looks like those don't exist anymore so they will be ordering individual parts and assemble the engine. I have asked them to provide me a list of parts being ordered and reused. Let's see what I get.
Hope it all works out for you anyway.

If Porsche offers you a slightly used GT3 engine..........refuse bluntly !

Good Luck !
Old 03-15-2014, 12:00 PM
imsfails
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MuffinMan, this is very useful information. It makes sense to get it rebuilt at PCNA. I have contacted my dealer but their service dept is closed for the weekend. Since I had a contact from PCNA earlier when I asked them to give me a preventive fix, I contacted him too.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:10 PM
imsfails
Intermediate

btw, here is a picture for the oil pool.
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2014, 01:36 PM
Luckymba
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I retract my shennanigans comment and apologize. Lots of noise on this and other forums lately related to IMS and it's hard to tell what is real and what is not. Glad you are covered.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:09 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 275 Posts

Sad picture! Good luck!
Old 03-16-2014, 01:16 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure they dont give you a 991 gt3 engine!

Old 03-16-2014, 10:21 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Very descriptive photo. I'd hang on to that one.

glad your covered.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:38 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 176 Posts

Oooch. That looks eerily similar to my car, I think a May 2005 build. My VIN is after the supposedly 'upgraded' bearing. The settlement info confirms I am outside of the 'class'. Do later builds like mine have anything to worry about?
Jim
Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2014, 04:24 PM
imsfails
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Luckymba
I retract my shennanigans comment and apologize. Lots of noise on this and other forums lately related to IMS and it's hard to tell what is real and what is not. Glad you are covered.
np. You were just trying to keep the quality of this forum high by separating the wheat from the chaff. This forum and in particular this thread has been very helpful to me so far. So keep up the good work!
Old 03-16-2014, 04:28 PM
imsfails
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Oooch. That looks eerily similar to my car, I think a May 2005 build. My VIN is after the supposedly 'upgraded' bearing. The settlement info confirms I am outside of the 'class'. Do later builds like mine have anything to worry about?
Jim
Nice car! I wish I had waited a few months before buying mine. As far as I know your car doesn't have this issue.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:42 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Jim
To worry or not is impossible to say as no one can tell for sure how much life a given ims bearing has left and it is not easy to check its status unless you can drop gearbox in your own garage. I chose not to worry but realistically it is a wear&tear item. It's same like to ask you doctor - 'will i die?' You know the answer. Whole deal here is about the timing.
Upgraded bearing should last long enough, yet there are plenty of cases of 2006+ MY cars with ims failures. But from what i think most of them happened in 15-35k miles range so i suspect it was mostly related to issues with bearing install and subsequent increased rate of wearing it off. Most realistic advice is to open it up, i mean ims cover at your next clutch replacement job, and remove outer seal from ims bearing first to inspect it and also it will improve lubrication. Not sure what else to do as it is cheaper to put in different motor than to pay for split block and repair job. If any shop will come up with an ims repair solution for '06 cars them it will be a thing to do, especially on cars with high milage.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:48 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 604 Likes on 357 Posts

U should have the same larger 06-08 bearing. Mine is late march build (outside if lawsuit too)

Oooch. That looks eerily similar to my car, I think a May 2005 build. My VIN is after the supposedly 'upgraded' bearing. The settlement info confirms I am outside of the 'class'. Do later builds like mine have anything to worry about? Jim
Old 03-16-2014, 05:52 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by utkinpol
To worry or not is impossible to say as no one can tell for sure how much life a given ims bearing has left and it is not easy to check its status unless you can drop gearbox in your own garage. I chose not to worry but realistically it is a wear&tear item. It's same like to ask you doctor - 'will i die?' You know the answer. Whole deal here is about the timing. Upgraded bearing should last long enough, yet there are plenty of cases of 2006+ MY cars with ims failures. But from what i think most of them happened in 15-35k miles range so i suspect it was mostly related to issues with bearing install and subsequent increased rate of wearing it off. Most realistic advice is to open it up, i mean ims cover at your next clutch replacement job, and remove outer seal from ims bearing first to inspect it and also it will improve lubrication. Not sure what else to do as it is cheaper to put in different motor than to pay for split block and repair job. If any shop will come up with an ims repair solution for '06 cars them it will be a thing to do, especially on cars with high milage.
Plenty if 06+ with ims failures?!? I have done my fair share of reading and research and while I do admit there are some.... It's nowhere as many as the smaller bearing (pre 05) cars.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:46 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
To worry or not is impossible to say as no one can tell for sure how much life a given ims bearing has left and it is not easy to check its status unless you can drop gearbox in your own garage. I chose not to worry but realistically it is a wear&tear item. It's same like to ask you doctor - 'will i die?' You know the answer. Whole deal here is about the timing.
Upgraded bearing should last long enough, yet there are plenty of cases of 2006+ MY cars with ims failures. But from what i think most of them happened in 15-35k miles range so i suspect it was mostly related to issues with bearing install and subsequent increased rate of wearing it off. Most realistic advice is to open it up, i mean ims cover at your next clutch replacement job, and remove outer seal from ims bearing first to inspect it and also it will improve lubrication. Not sure what else to do as it is cheaper to put in different motor than to pay for split block and repair job. If any shop will come up with an ims repair solution for '06 cars them it will be a thing to do, especially on cars with high milage.
My car has 25.1K miles so it is right in that range. No issues, knock on wood, so far, and if no easy solution for replacing the upgaded bearing,is there a reason to inspect/mess with it?
Jim
Old 03-16-2014, 06:53 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

My car has 25.1K miles so it is right in that range. No issues, knock on wood, so far, and if no easy solution for replacing the upgaded bearing,is there a reason to inspect/mess with it? Jim
Nope not at all

Quick Reply: Just had IMS failure on 2005 997