Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Bullet-Proof"...What's Your Definition?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 07:19 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
too bad "there is no substitute"!
"There is no substitute" is a marketing slogan - not a promise of a carefree driving experience. My Porsche has been a very fun experience and relatively trouble free so far. I'm looking forward to many more years of ownership.

Sometimes I think that the majority of car owners who frequent car forums are there because they have had a problem(s) and like to bitch about their issues.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:21 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 365 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu311
Porsches are great but some people defend them like they are the only great engineering on the planet.
If you're going to have an internet " argument "(contradictory conversation),make sure to bring all your " guns " to the " fight ". Meaning,read my posts if you will... I'm basically " blasting " Porsche for the 991GT3 engine debacle,their lack of customer support to under/over engineered CLs,IMS,or coolant fittings to name a few. I'm not a Kool-Aid drinker,although I might have been at some point and made some of the mistakes you're making right now. So it's ok,people will learn...
I have made my point : some folks buy neglected cars with high miles,off leases and driven hard,not to the church on Sunday,because the beauty is,you can afford one at that point. S**t happens... There are exceptions...low miles engines that were properly maintained have failed-those are unfortunate cases,it's not the rule of thumb.
Good luck!

Last edited by neanicu; 03-13-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:50 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bullet Proof is quite simple. It means that if you shoot the engine block or drive train with a rifle, the car will still run and move. All the rest of it is misuse of the term. ;-)

If we want to relax that a bit, I'd go so far as to say, if you stay under the redline and do normal maintenance, the engine and power-train should not fail. For at least 250,000 miles.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:14 PM
blakecam
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
Sometimes I think that the majority of car owners who frequent car forums are there because they have had a problem(s) and like to bitch about their issues.
No doubt about it. Same with review sites such as Yelp. If someone has a bad experience with a server in a restaurant, he or she vents by trashing that business on Yelp or Google Reviews. If it was a great or satisfactory dining experience, that person is less likely to let us know with a positive review. Too many people stereotype based on a few anecdotal cases.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:39 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly

Normally I would agree with you, but Porsche appears to be different. The power of the brand is overcoming the following: 1) Cheapened engine that has a bad failure rate... for 10 years.... 2) Denies it... loses a class action suite... 3) Forums and mechanics all over the place dis the car, at least more than other brands. 4) Porsche raises prices and breaks sales records. Wha???

Cashing out a brand name is nothing new. Food companies buy quality niche products, mass produce and cheapen ingredients; Ford's Jaque Nasser takes over, rips out QA functions, orders engineering to design to warranty, increases profits, reaps huge bonuses..... leaves.

Is Porsche immune? Seems to be. I believe enthusiasts made this brand but face it, posers make the profit. And now volume is getting to the point that enthusiasts are less of a factor. My point is that humans are so shallow that they have no problems wearing a useless codpiece as long as it is expensive and displays their wealth.

I had two Porsche engines blow. What did I do? I purchased another one. A codpiece? I hope not or I need to see an analyst.

Sometimes sales and profits go up, sometimes the brand is killed... I don't know, it is a high risk crap shoot.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
This is an interesting thread and I think Bruce points out some very valid points. Porsche has been "pulling from the brand" if I can use that phrase, for some time now. Their cars are no longer built to an engineering standard - they are built to a price point. Huge difference allowing decisions to be driven by the bean counters. Maybe it was necessary to stay financially solvent but considering the prices of Porsches vs. the competition, that is hard to believe. At the same time, the 911 has definitely changed and has become a touring car, albeit a fast one, most likely appealing to a broader market.

How this will impact the future of the company is unclear. Most of us love the brand but how long can you take advantage of that? If you read the 991GT3 forum, many of those guys have had it. The recent order to stop driving the new GT3s and the lack of info coming out of Porsche has them frustrated, rightfully so, and many of them are looking at Ferraris and even the new C7 Corvette, whose warranty by the way covers track use unlike Porsche. But between Cayennes, Caymans, Boxsters, and now Macans, the GT3s are probably no longer significant to the success of Porsche, a sad commentary given the history of the brand. And depending on the cost of the fix for theGT3 problem, they may become a liability.

Companies come and go over time. I am sure the people at Sears and JCP 20 years ago never thought they would see the day where their companies would be struggling just to hold on.

Quick Reply: "Bullet-Proof"...What's Your Definition?