Sponsored by:

Michelin PSS sub-freezing performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 08:03 AM
rvp325carrera
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto for PS2; first Paragraph:

"The Pilot Sport PS2 is a Max Performance Summer tire member of the Michelin Pilot family of low profile, high-speed tires. Initially developed for Original Equipment (O.E.) on some of the world's most prestigious sports cars and performance sedans, the Pilot Sport PS2 combines world-class dry road traction, handling and cornering. Some of the first Pilot Sport PS2 O.E. fitments included the BMW Alpina Z8, McLaren SLR and Porsche GT2/GT3 models. The Pilot Sport PS2 is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."
Old 03-10-2014, 08:11 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
with just 6 months as a User I think you all just discouraged Seahull from ever posting lucky post number 7! Lighten up guys. Not a good idea to drive summer tires in winter, but really the dumbest thing on Rennlist ever?
Yes. Dumb. Probably the dumbest.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:21 AM
seahull
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rvp325carrera
From the Tirerack website: "While Pilot Super Sport tires are designed to allow sports cars, sporty coupes, performance sedans and supercars to achieve their full potential in dry and wet conditions, like all summer tires they are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice." All I'm saying: be careful. And heed the advice. I drive my car 365. Between dec - march, I run Pirelli Sottozeros.
From the Michelin website - " These tires are primarily designed for high-performance vehicles and provide optimized dry and wet performance levels in a temperate environment. Summer tires are designed for year round usage but should not be used during the winter season where temperatures are colder and approach freezing consistently as their performance would be less than optimal."

So it seems a big stretch from "performance would be less than optimal" to threats of legal action. I don't have to drive either of my cars equipped with PSS 365 days a year. So I can choose when to do so when appropriate. Part of that decision is to understand the performance in all conditions, and my post was intended to inform those who have not tried it.

BTW, we had 70 degree temperatures two weeks ago. I am sure you realize that Pirelli Sottozeros are not designed warm weather, and using them in temperatures outside of winter conditions will result in performance that is less than optimal. All I'm saying: be careful.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:15 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seahull
From the Michelin website - " These tires are primarily designed for high-performance vehicles and provide optimized dry and wet performance levels in a temperate environment. Summer tires are designed for year round usage but should not be used during the winter season where temperatures are colder and approach freezing consistently as their performance would be less than optimal." So it seems a big stretch from "performance would be less than optimal" to threats of legal action. I don't have to drive either of my cars equipped with PSS 365 days a year. So I can choose when to do so when appropriate. Part of that decision is to understand the performance in all conditions, and my post was intended to inform those who have not tried it. BTW, we had 70 degree temperatures two weeks ago. I am sure you realize that Pirelli Sottozeros are not designed warm weather, and using them in temperatures outside of winter conditions will result in performance that is less than optimal. All I'm saying: be careful.
This is all old news. I found in 1999 with my 996 that the high performance tires that came on the car lose their great traction under 50 degrees. My 996 came with Conti's
When I changed to Michelin same thing. My 997 came with PZeros. They are the same. I put Michelin Alpin's on for winter they work great below 50 degrees. As soon as temps rise I'll put the high performance summer tires back on.

Quick Reply: Michelin PSS sub-freezing performance