Sponsored by:

GTS question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 09:42 PM
DareMightyThings
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by destro
I read and heard (on reviews) that GTS suspension is different from a Carrera S, this would have to be the case on the RWD cars due to the wider track. Most reviewers did say not to get S-PASM as it ruins the "perfectly" tuned GTS suspension. The general quote is:

"The wider track (by 2mm at the front and 32mm at the rear) has allowed some suspension reprofiling, so you get stiffer springs and anti-roll bars. The 19in rear tyres are wider too, at 305/30. Porsche claims the GTS is “more neutral” than the Carrera S."
That quote is from this article in Autocar:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...11-carrera-gts

Certainly suggests that there are some tweaks.

SharkWerks claims all GTS cars came standard with SPASM. At least, that's what SharkWerks claims here:

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/porsch...09-2012-a.html

Not certain that's true, I certainly don't see any references to in the Porsche literature. There was option "030 - PASM sports chassis - 20mm", which I believe drops the suspension an additional 10mm over the standard GTS suspension (which itself is a 10mm drop from the base cars without PASM). Note that option 030 was also included as part of option package P17 (which also includes option 220 - LSD).

http://stuttcars.com/technical/option-codes/997.2/

I strongly suspect that when articles refer to preferring the standard GTS suspension, they mean as opposed to on GTS cars equipped with Option 030 or P17. But I have no first hand basis for comparison.

For all I know, this may all only apply to the 2WD GTS Coupe. I have no idea about cabs or the 4 GTS.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:43 PM
destro
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
The track and wheel width of the GTS is the same as the C4S isn't it? Is the C4S suspension different from the C2S? I don't know the answer to that, but am confident that the suspension on the GTS is the same as the C4S.
Maybe the C4S is the same as the GTS 4.
But the regular GTS has a much wider track than a C2S, so they likely used those torsion bars to adjust the handling character, match that with the wider wheels, I'd be surprised if Porsche didn't do some tuning.

I am sure S-PASM had a smaller take rate than the entire GTS model range and that has been tuned to each 911 variant.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:58 PM
danit
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"The Porsche Active Suspension Management is standard, though on the softest setting, the ride is still fatiguing. Yes, even fitted with the PDK transmission, the GTS bludgeons you with the full 911 experience." http://http://www.caranddriver.com/r...ad-test-review

Basically what Car and Driver said. It is what it is. It's a GTS and I agree.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:59 PM
danit
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review

Try that link.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:17 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DareMightyThings

SharkWerks claims all GTS cars came standard with SPASM. At least, that's what SharkWerks claims here:

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/porsch...09-2012-a.html

Not certain that's true, I certainly don't see any references to in the Porsche literature. There was option "030 - PASM sports chassis - 20mm", which I believe drops the suspension an additional 10mm over the standard GTS suspension (which itself is a 10mm drop from the base cars without PASM). Note that option 030 was also included as part of option package P17 (which also includes option 220 - LSD).

http://stuttcars.com/technical/option-codes/997.2/

I strongly suspect that when articles refer to preferring the standard GTS suspension, they mean as opposed to on GTS cars equipped with Option 030 or P17. But I have no first hand basis for comparison.

For all I know, this may all only apply to the 2WD GTS Coupe. I have no idea about cabs or the 4 GTS.
Sharkwerks is clearly wrong with their assertion that all GTS cars come with SPASM. As you have pointed out, it is an option on the GTS and I know because I paid for it on mine. I am also just about positive that SPASM is not even available on the GTS cab. Just another reason to not believe everything you read in automobile magazines or from aftermarket suppliers.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:31 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Sharkwerks is clearly wrong with their assertion that all GTS cars come with SPASM. As you have pointed out, it is an option on the GTS and I know because I paid for it on mine. I am also just about positive that SPASM is not even available on the GTS cab. Just another reason to not believe everything you read in automobile magazines or from aftermarket suppliers.
You're absolutely correct. We wrote the guide a long time and however with a few of us writing it (I think I did that part with most of the GTS' we were getting being on SPASM) together mistakes can/do happen. It was just a free passionate thing we chose to do to help people if possible since we owned the first 997.2S delivered in California for a couple of years. We're only sharks.. or human I suppose but thanks for the heads up and we can easily fix that error.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:34 PM
blakecam
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

My GTS does not have SPASM. It was definitely an option on GTS coupes. I understand that cabs were offered with PASM only -- no SPASM option.

Here is the complete options list for 2011 Carrera GTS according to Motor Trend: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2011/...kages_options/
Old 02-28-2014, 03:08 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

P17 is an awesome option.

Edmunds did a two part review of the 2011 GTS. A fun read that makes me want to keep the car forever.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I seem to remember reading in excellence that the GTS vs. 997.2S suspension is not the same. It could be that the difference lies in the sport suspension equipped cars.

When I traded my 997.2S with PASM for my 11 GTS, also with PASM, it seemed that the GTS felt a bit tighter. Or maybe I wanted it to feel that way as my wallet had been lightened a good bit.
I read that same article.

Nope, it is the same. Either PASM vs PASM, or SPASM vs SPASM. Of course a Carrera S with PASM is different from a GTS with SPASM.
I don't know, maybe the parts are the same but they are put together differently. The Excellence article referenced above clearly stated that the GTS was "tweaked" and most definitely not the same, performance wise, compared to the S. In fact both the author of the article and the lead Porsche engineer (?) for the GTS stated that the suspension or maybe it was handling was different (I'm just reiterating here). Further both agreed that adding SPASM, which was a carryover from the S options and not specifically for the GTS actually changed the handling characteristics (in their opinion not for the better). So, according to those sources, there is a difference in handling. Whether it is related to the actual parts in the suspension or how those parts interact with some other aspect of the car, I have no idea.

Edit: A little digging. According to Excellence the GTS has a 3 mm thicker, hollow front anti-roll bar compared to the Carrera S; the Porsche "Engineer" I mentioned was actually the director of the Carrera product line, August Achleitner, and the basis for GTS handling differently may be the dynamics of the wider track/offsets.

Last edited by Tcc1999; 02-28-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:21 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by danit
Interesting point that I forgot about. When I drove the S it had a low TPMS warning on the left rear. Since it was ~37deg I thought it was BS, but all the tires read in the low 30s. It could have definitely been true. I think I'll go take another look after work. Thanks!
The TPMS on the newer 911 models (at least 2009 up) takes the tire temperature into account (as well as your driver-entered weight loading) when giving the plus-or-minus style tire pressure reading it provides (the one available only when the car is still). If this one says the tires are low, then they are low regardless of the outside temperature.

Quick Reply: GTS question