Sponsored by:

GTS question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 11:25 PM
danit
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTS question

Does the 2011 911 GTS Cab without the Sport suspension option have the same suspension as the 911 S Cab and same ride height?

Question comes from driving both today and I'll say no. The regular PASM setting on the GTS seemed the same as the PASM+ setting on the S. The GTS' top seemed to rattle and squeak quite a bit, but that could have just been the windows needed lubed. I've read a couple other threads and they didn't seem to directly answer this.

Thank,

Dan
Old 02-26-2014, 11:51 PM
EbonyC4S
Rennlist Member

No input for your ?, but enjoy the avatar - ice in TX. Not a common sight! Here in OR - too common. Bet you get lots of good input from RL.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:10 AM
danit
Advanced

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2014, 12:30 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by danit
Does the 2011 911 GTS Cab without the Sport suspension option have the same suspension as the 911 S Cab and same ride height?

Question comes from driving both today and I'll say no. The regular PASM setting on the GTS seemed the same as the PASM+ setting on the S. The GTS' top seemed to rattle and squeak quite a bit, but that could have just been the windows needed lubed. I've read a couple other threads and they didn't seem to directly answer this.

Thank,

Dan
Are you test driving these at a local dealer or private party?

Btw, greetings to another fort worthian..
Old 02-27-2014, 01:10 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank,

Dan
My 2012 GTS cab's top squeaked badly too. I asked the service manager about it and he had one of his mechanics show me how to lube the top so it doesn't squeak. My Porsche is at my other house and I won't be able to look at the 1/2 used tube of lubricant they gave me for a while, but he said it cost about $65-70 for a tube (Porsche product).

Anyway, I was surprised that most of the squeaking comes from the lower rear edge of the top, where the thicker rubber gasket seal sits on the ledge of the car when the top is fully in the closed position. You partially open the top to fully expose the gasket seal. He then carefully rubbed the lube into the seal that runs along the complete lower edge of the top. He did the same to the seal that runs along the front edge of the top (the thicker rubber seal that rests on the top of the windshield frame when the top is closed). He said these are the two seals that cause 90% of the squeaks. He then did the same to the window seals, and to the joints in the convertible top frame.

Afterwards, the squeaks that were driving me nuts were gone. He told me to do the same again in about 2 days, and I should be good for 6+ months.

My car sat at the dealership when new for a period of time before I bought it. While it spent most of the time inside on the showroom floor, they did display it outside on the weekends. The mechanic said that causes the seal to get dry and start the squeaks.

I've tried other rubber lubricants before like Gummi-fledge, etc. and nothing works as well as the stuff they gave me at the dealership. I started using it on the seals of our BMWs and it works great. Hopefully, when I run out, I'll be able to find it cheaper some place.

When I return to my car, I'll try to remember to look at the tube and post the name.

Look up the specs on the GTS. It is lowered as compared to the S.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:50 AM
danit
Advanced

Yes saabin I test drove the GTS Cab yesterday followed by the S Cab at ParkPlace Porsche. The GTS is very nice. I went into the test drive thinking the two would be pretty similar after reading several threads on similar topics that indicating they would be. After driving it I came to the conclusion I couldn't drive it everyday, but boy oh boy it sounded great and drove really well regardless of my dislikes. A great side benefit was driving a PDK for the first time. I was impressed with that.

Thanks beden1 on the top squeaking. That's what I thought. The car was dirty and lubing of the top has probably never been done. Good tip on the Porsche product. I've been using the Gummi-fledge and have always been happy with it, but you can always use something better.

Thanks for the info. The search is still on.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:28 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Thank,

Dan
Yes, the standard GTS PASM suspension is the same as the Carrera S cab PASM suspension. I don't believe you can get SPASM on either the GTS cab or the Carrera S cab, but if you could, that would the same also. Maybe the difference you were feeling was because of difference in tires, either brand, age, or air pressure.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:55 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

I seem to remember reading in excellence that the GTS vs. 997.2S suspension is not the same. It could be that the difference lies in the sport suspension equipped cars.

When I traded my 997.2S with PASM for my 11 GTS, also with PASM, it seemed that the GTS felt a bit tighter. Or maybe I wanted it to feel that way as my wallet had been lightened a good bit.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:58 AM
danit
Advanced

Interesting point that I forgot about. When I drove the S it had a low TPMS warning on the left rear. Since it was ~37deg I thought it was BS, but all the tires read in the low 30s. It could have definitely been true. I think I'll go take another look after work. Thanks!
Old 02-27-2014, 12:00 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I seem to remember reading in excellence that the GTS vs. 997.2S suspension is not the same. It could be that the difference lies in the sport suspension equipped cars.

When I traded my 997.2S with PASM for my 11 GTS, also with PASM, it seemed that the GTS felt a bit tighter. Or maybe I wanted it to feel that way as my wallet had been lightened a good bit.
Nope, it is the same. Either PASM vs PASM, or SPASM vs SPASM. Of course a Carrera S with PASM is different from a GTS with SPASM.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:21 PM
destro
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I read and heard (on reviews) that GTS suspension is different from a Carrera S, this would have to be the case on the RWD cars due to the wider track. Most reviewers did say not to get S-PASM as it ruins the "perfectly" tuned GTS suspension. The general quote is:

"The wider track (by 2mm at the front and 32mm at the rear) has allowed some suspension reprofiling, so you get stiffer springs and anti-roll bars. The 19in rear tyres are wider too, at 305/30. Porsche claims the GTS is “more neutral” than the Carrera S."
Old 02-27-2014, 05:28 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by destro
I read and heard (on reviews) that GTS suspension is different from a Carrera S, this would have to be the case on the RWD cars due to the wider track. Most reviewers did say not to get S-PASM as it ruins the "perfectly" tuned GTS suspension. The general quote is:

"The wider track (by 2mm at the front and 32mm at the rear) has allowed some suspension reprofiling, so you get stiffer springs and anti-roll bars. The 19in rear tyres are wider too, at 305/30. Porsche claims the GTS is “more neutral” than the Carrera S."
The track and wheel width of the GTS is the same as the C4S isn't it? Is the C4S suspension different from the C2S? I don't know the answer to that, but am confident that the suspension on the GTS is the same as the C4S.

Sounds like to me the discussion of the stiffer springs and larger anti-roll bars is related to the optional sport suspension, SPASM, that is available on the GTS coupes. Regarding not getting SPASM, I have it on my GTS and think it is superior to the regular PASM, not that there is anything wrong with the regular suspension. But SPASM gives the car a better look, plus better handling with the lower stance and slightly stiffer springs and anti-roll bars. Plus you get limited slip with the option. It is one of the best option values Porsche has.

I have the hardback Porsche GTS brochure and I can find no mention in it regarding any suspension difference in the GTS. You would think if there was a difference, they would talk about it like they do the other features of the GTS.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:48 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by destro
The 19in rear tyres are wider too, at 305/30.
The GTS with non CL wheels were specced with 19" Carrera Sport wheels which are 0.5" wider front and rear compared to other available options such as the Turbo, classic and sport design wheel. While the fronts came with the same 235/35 tires, the rears came with 305/30 tires which have been specced with this wheel since the .2 launch for 2009.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:05 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
My 2012 GTS cab's top squeaked badly too. I asked the service manager about it and he had one of his mechanics show me how to lube the top so it doesn't squeak. My Porsche is at my other house and I won't be able to look at the 1/2 used tube of lubricant they gave me for a while, but he said it cost about $65-70 for a tube (Porsche product).
Probably DuPont Krytox, which is Porsche's go-to remedy for squeaks and rattles. There are several different formulations, but I use the following:

Link to Amazon Link to Amazon
Old 02-27-2014, 07:06 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes saabin I test drove the GTS Cab yesterday followed by the S Cab at ParkPlace Porsche. The GTS is very nice. I went into the test drive thinking the two would be pretty similar after reading several threads on similar topics that indicating they would be. After driving it I came to the conclusion I couldn't drive it everyday, but boy oh boy it sounded great and drove really well regardless of my dislikes. A great side benefit was driving a PDK for the first time. I was impressed with that.

Thanks beden1 on the top squeaking. That's what I thought. The car was dirty and lubing of the top has probably never been done. Good tip on the Porsche product. I've been using the Gummi-fledge and have always been happy with it, but you can always use something better.

Thanks for the info. The search is still on.
What did you find objectionable in driving the GTS? My GTS cabriolet does have a softer ride as compared to the coupe.

Quick Reply: GTS question