Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spoiler stuck in the "up" position...at an angle!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014 | 12:40 PM
freeman2344
Cruisin'

Default Spoiler stuck in the "up" position...at an angle!

Hi,

I've recently (3 months) purchased an 06 997 Carrera C2 and have now come across a rather unusual problem (internet research has not really helped up to this point). During my last tour with the vehicle, the spoiler extended and remained in the "up" position and has not come down ever since. In fact, it seems to have locked in place at a significantly higher angle than usual (I'd say approx. 65 degrees) and I'm able to see it quite clearly from the rear view mirror, which I'm otherwise unable to do.

The warning light comes on and the corresponding PCM message is displayed after turning on the ignition. The PCM message appears again when reaching speeds in excess of 120km/h (I'm in Europe), which is the spoiler deployment speed for my model year. Manual actuation using the PCM button did not help either (though the yellow light does stay illuminated, indicating that the spoiler is in the "up" position). There's definitely a "buzz" and some sort of "rattling" noise, so I guess some part of the spoiler assembly is still working. I assume the spoiler is hydraulically operated?
Old 02-22-2014 | 01:00 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Better take it in. Maybe the motor died or some debris has the drive gear stuck.
Old 02-22-2014 | 01:09 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Happens all the time. Usually a sensor
Old 02-22-2014 | 03:28 PM
Diamond Blue 4S tip
Instructor

You might take the spoiler apart and see if there is anything obvious wrong. The DIY is here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...y-rebuild.html
Old 02-22-2014 | 03:33 PM
freeman2344
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Diamond Blue 4S tip
You might take the spoiler apart and see if there is anything obvious wrong. The DIY is here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...y-rebuild.html

Thanks, I was looking for something like that, might give it a shot as we live really far away from our OPC and it's a huge hassle if it turns out to be a minor thing.
Old 02-22-2014 | 07:40 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I can vouch for the linked guidance. I used it to relubricate my tail several months ago. It was the first time it stopped squeeking since the car was new.

Just familiarize yourself with the disassembly instructions well. It can be a bit of a challenge to reinstall evening (left and right).
Old 02-22-2014 | 07:53 PM
WindyCityC2S
Rennlist Member

2nd. Mine was noisy and used the link to clean out the old gritty grease and now works smooth and quiet.
Old 03-06-2014 | 06:01 PM
freeman2344
Cruisin'

Well, the spoiler came down by itself last Friday and worked for some time...then it failed again on the freeway while on my way to the OPC to get a different problem looked at (passenger airbag light didn't extinguish). So it spent the last 4 days there and I ended up with a 2200€ bill, that's 3000 USD (the entire drive unit for the rear spoiler was replaced, because one micro-switch had failed and full assembly replacement was apparently the only solution they could offer). Seemed like a minor problem, I feel a bit violated TBH.
Old 03-06-2014 | 06:20 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Dang. I would feel violated too!

The rear spoiler drive does come as a unit as shown as item number 12 here: http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=803-07, which seems to cost an astonishing $978.26 USD. But that still seems a long way from explaining the grand total. There must have been a huge labor charge. Did they give you the price breakdown?
Old 03-06-2014 | 06:44 PM
freeman2344
Cruisin'

Yeah, they did give a breakdown (I specifically requested one as I intend to run the whole thing by the third party warranty I got when I purchased the vehicle...to my surprise this actually seems to be covered, at least partially). Labor costs were indeed quite horrendous, 250€ for taking the spoiler apart, 200€ for troubleshooting/diagnosis and lots of other small procedures + every single screw billed separately (quite outrageous, BMW never did that when my M3 was in)...I don't really mind that much, I knew that repair costs would be steep when I bought the vehicle, but since this was my first OPC visit for repair purposes I was quite shocked, since the problems were comparatively minor (I don't even want to imagine major component failure). Had I known this would happen I would have opted for the approved warranty.
Old 03-06-2014 | 08:00 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Or... There's a nice DIY write up by Insomnic re the Rear Spoiler Drive Assembly Rebuild. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ech-index.html

Quick Reply: Spoiler stuck in the "up" position...at an angle!