Old 02-22-2014, 03:07 PM
porker999
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These links may be useful:

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-b...ife-cost.html\

http://www.titantpms.com/porsche-carrera-2006-2008

http://www.universaltpmssensor.com/

I read the same post ($1500 )in Panorama, just a couple of days after the TPMS warning light on my 2008 911 C2S Cab came on and indicated system disabled while parked in my garage. Drove a bit, warning lights went out, pressure was shown on all but LF wheel.

Later while driving the system warning lights went on again, this time only showed pressure in RF and RR. Sensor batteries are failing, need to be replaced.

My local Porsche stealership quoted appx. $200 per sensor (just the part). Will likely get OEM Beru (now Huf) aftermarket sensors or a kit installed when I soon switch to summer tires.
Read the Plane-9 thread above before ordering.

Good luck to all and will post again after I have them installed.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:49 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Sorry, but the above is ridiculous. I'd suggest reading the magazine...

In the course of working on Panorama, I have to trust the volunteer experts on our technical committee, and this was the answer given by an experienced independent. Of course, seeing this thread pop up prompts two thoughts:

1) We need to run a correction, as we made a mistake.
2) It's interesting that several people are moaning in unison here (understandable) and now one is starting to make leaps of logic that are frankly remarkable (not so understandable) while we have yet to get a single letter that would be, you know, very helpful to the magazine and its readers (also remarkable).

If you've got the facts and we got it wrong, please tell us—by emailing us or the original author rather than depending on someone to tip us off to an internet forum discussion or the chance we'll find it here on our own.
Pete Stout?
Old 02-23-2014, 12:33 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Misdirection
You guys that have the OE aftermarket TPMS sensors -- do you find the accuracy/precision to be on par with the originals?
I've had my OEWheels sensors($184 set) on for 7 months. I've had two instances when the outside temp was in the low 20*F and they did not show the tire pressure across all 4 sensors. Other then that they've performed well and just as accurate as the p-sensors. Sometimes I wonder if it has something to do with the original Porsche TPMS sensors in my Carrera Classics(stored above my garage) interfering with the new OEWheels sensors. FWIW, my original p-sensors had on and off days as well when I had my Carrera Classics on the car.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:07 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
I've had my OEWheels sensors($184 set) on for 7 months. I've had two instances when the outside temp was in the low 20*F and they did not show the tire pressure across all 4 sensors. Other then that they've performed well and just as accurate as the p-sensors. Sometimes I wonder if it has something to do with the original Porsche TPMS sensors in my Carrera Classics(stored above my garage) interfering with the new OEWheels sensors. FWIW, my original p-sensors had on and off days as well when I had my Carrera Classics on the car.
There have been discussions here about TPMS frequencies and ranges. I can't add much about the TPMS but there must be some range/coded frequency (as is the case with Heart Rate monitors used by athletes). It seems a stretch that your old tires' TPMS could have an impact on your new system. I mean, if there was not a limited range/code then every time another car with a TPMS pulled up next to you the system would get confused - or think about a dealership where car after car are parked in close proximity with apparently no abnormal TPMS behavior. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me about this (most users on this site probably) might shed some light on this.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:06 PM
Misdirection
Instructor

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Good to know. I'm looking to get a second set for my DE wheels. The OEM TPMS I have found to be surprisingly accurate (I always use a proper gauge to verify, but it's nice to be able to see how pressures change, where they are at, etc. while driving at a DE).

FWIW, whenever I have my OEM wheels/sensors nearby after swapping onto my non-TPMS wheels, the system still doesn't find any TPMS sensors. I think the range/proximity is very small so that the car knows which wheel it is, etc.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:38 PM
msuheritage
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the OE Wheels sensors for my winters this year. Besides a hick up here and there they have been spot on and I think they were 180 for the entire set shipped.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:01 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

FWIW, I checked my OEWheel sensors with the Durametric Pro a few wks ago... it showed 80 months of battery life across the board.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:57 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chris.hanle
For 1500 a pop I would disable it. But you could get a set that will work fine for less that 200
Just remember, if you don't realize you have a flat and drive on it till the tire comes apart, you will gank at least the one rim, if not more of the car. I'd expect that additional damage to cost way more than 4x OEM sensors at around $500 + install with new tires.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:46 AM
Bum
Advanced

I had this done to my 2006 last year at the dealership, under warranty, as Porsche recommends changing all 4 sensors even if 1 has failed.

Parts were 172.38 each for a total of 689.52, and labor was listed as 689.52 for a total of 1176.13. Under warranty it cost me $100 so I had no objections to the work being performed.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That labor seems a bit much for some pretty simple steps.
1) Unmount wheels
2) Remove Tires
3) Remove TPMS
4) Install TPMS
5) Install Tire
6) Balance Wheel
7) Install wheel.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:24 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

I installed a set of 4 TPMS sensors from OEWheel when I replaced my wheels and tires. Cost was:

1. $184 for the four TPMS sensors
2. $150 for the p-dealer to balance and install the MPSS tires from TR.

Total cost was ~$350.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 03-03-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:55 PM
skywaterbanjo
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I responded to the survey from PNA about my satisfaction with my last service. I had all 4 replaced on my 997.1 for a bit over $1000 and told them I was disappointed in the value received. They responded by justifying their prices, saying the aftermarket batteries only last 1-2 years, compared to 4-5 years for the originals. We'll see. My first set did last 7 years.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:05 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

As someone said you can disable the TPMS with the Porsche unit (they are expensive so usually only at dealers or high end independents) but you can also turn it on, not sure about 05 cars but all 997's from 06 on have TPMS in them. They just do not switch it on unless you buy the system.

Quick Reply: TPMS monitors really $1500???