Sponsored by:

TPMS monitors really $1500???

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 03:07 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by stefang
I wouldn't disable it. You won't (well at least I couldn't) feel a flat on 35 series tires.
+1500
Old 02-20-2014, 07:49 PM
inspired626
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know where they got that price from, but for around that same price, I was able to a complete set of new sensors & new 19 inch tires installed.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:24 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

replaced mine last year. dealer quoted me about $1K to dismount, install OEM sensors, and remount.

I bought aftermarket sensors from OE wheels for $164 (for the whole set!) shipped to Honolulu and paid my tire guy $75 to install. They work perfectly and exactly as before.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:25 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

thats ridiculous!

Originally Posted by IslandS52
dealer quoted me about $1K to dismount, install OEM sensors, and remount..
Old 02-21-2014, 02:11 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by voda
Thanks for the responses. Can't figure out why the Q&A Tech in Panorama didn't mention options and at least suggest that it could be done for less than $1500?

One more question: Are there any issues with matching the frequency on aftermarket sensors?
Really? The PCA magazine shills for Porsche, which includes encouraging you to smile when your dealer's service manager shoves it in. I'm not sure how long Porsche would endorse Panorama if its articles encouraged owners to price-shop.

I know a search will turn up a lot of great information on this topic for you because I asked the very same question just a few months ago. Like others on the board, I went to OEWheels and got a set of TPMS for my '09 for less than $200 delivered. Another hundred bucks and they were installed.

There's also some great info here about places to buy the OEM sensors for a great price if you're a stickler for using the original pieces.

$1,000 or $1,500 for this job is ridiculous. If you pay that, make sure the service advisor at least buys you dinner first.

HTH, James.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:21 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I paid good money for TPMS on my 06 car so the last thing I would do is to go cheap and not spring for sensors when needed. Besides, you really need them to warn you about a tire failure. I keep the TP display up about 98% of the time when driving, especially at speed, so that I can be forewarned of an issue. Buy then from a discount dealer like SunCoast or SunSet and they are reasonable, and then swap them out when you do a tire replacement.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Schnell Macher
Track Day

I got mine at Tire Rack and had my local tire guy install them for $80. The whole thing cost less than $400 if I remember right. $1500 is ridiculous and I would never disable them.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:24 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Really? The PCA magazine shills for Porsche, which includes encouraging you to smile when your dealer's service manager shoves it in. I'm not sure how long Porsche would endorse Panorama if its articles encouraged owners to price-shop....
Sorry, but the above is ridiculous. I'd suggest reading the magazine...

In the course of working on Panorama, I have to trust the volunteer experts on our technical committee, and this was the answer given by an experienced independent. Of course, seeing this thread pop up prompts two thoughts:

1) We need to run a correction, as we made a mistake.
2) It's interesting that several people are moaning in unison here (understandable) and now one is starting to make leaps of logic that are frankly remarkable (not so understandable) while we have yet to get a single letter that would be, you know, very helpful to the magazine and its readers (also remarkable).

If you've got the facts and we got it wrong, please tell us—by emailing us or the original author rather than depending on someone to tip us off to an internet forum discussion or the chance we'll find it here on our own.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:57 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Pete, you DO get here. Then, seeing as how water-cooled P-car owners are just as enthusiastic as air-cooled owners,maybe you'll increase the 996/997 contents in Pano, featuring some of the cars displayed here and on 6speed. The demographics of P-car owners has changed and newish owners use them increasingly as DD instead of "wall decor". Pano needs to be more inclusive of new P-cars.

I forget which of the 2 forums recently featured derisive posts on club membership by new owners; maybe if included the club membership would get new blood.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:03 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

My 993 has a tire pressure monitor too.

Me.

And a $5 gauge that I use to check my tires every other time I gas up my car.

Threads like these really give me pause when I contemplate ever buying a newer Porsche....

Last edited by goofballdeluxe; 02-21-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:22 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ogun228
Pete, you DO get here. Then, seeing as how water-cooled P-car owners are just as enthusiastic as air-cooled owners,maybe you'll increase the 996/997 contents in Pano, featuring some of the cars displayed here and on 6speed. The demographics of P-car owners has changed and newish owners use them increasingly as DD instead of "wall decor". Pano needs to be more inclusive of new P-cars.

I forget which of the 2 forums recently featured derisive posts on club membership by new owners; maybe if included the club membership would get new blood.
Just wait'll you read the 986/996 era bombshell in the next issue. I'm still spinning in my chair. In the grand scheme of the world, no big deal. For my inner (and outer) freakshow car geek, it's a really cool story on an interesting car and probably one of the most intriguing things I've read about Porsche in the modern era I've seen in a while. The questions it raises, and the peek it provides is pretty neat.

Sorry we got the price of tire-pressure sensors wrong! (And I do mean that. We won't always get everything right, but we do care.)
Old 02-21-2014, 06:23 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Can't wait as I find myself skimming most of the articles about "classic Porsches" and paying more attention to the ads. Seems to me that most of what could be said about air-cooled has been said. Great cars for their times. This is now and we have Porsche doing better than ever with new and exciting cars...Give them more space!
Old 02-21-2014, 08:39 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ogun228
Can't wait as I find myself skimming most of the articles about "classic Porsches" and paying more attention to the ads. Seems to me that most of what could be said about air-cooled has been said. Great cars for their times. This is now and we have Porsche doing better than ever with new and exciting cars...Give them more space!
Can I just say that this marks a historic first in more than 15 years of doing Porsche magazines? Complaints about too much old car, and not enough new? If the perception is that PCA/Pano is too old-car focused, then maybe we've actually swung the pendulum far enough. ;-)

To be honest, we're still in the infancy of what Pano will become, and as our team just put the finishing touches on the next issue, I noted that in addition to that 986/996 story there's a full feature on a no-holds-barred 997 build. And, the issue after that has a 997 story that just had me shouting from my chair.

So, stay tuned. We're just getting started...

Last edited by stout; 02-21-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:53 PM
Aquary
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I think the mix in Pano is fantastic.

And count me as another who went the OE Wheels route on TPMS sensors for my 997.1 -- $148 shipped, + $80 to install at my local tire place.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:43 AM
Misdirection
Instructor

You guys that have the OE aftermarket TPMS sensors -- do you find the accuracy/precision to be on par with the originals?

Quick Reply: TPMS monitors really $1500???