Sponsored by:

Nitto Invo- Short Term Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 01:49 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nitto Invo- Short Term Review

I've been running Nitto Invo tires for just over two months and thought I'd share my thoughts on them.

They replaced Michelin PSS tires that were less than a year old with good tread left on them.

The first thing I noticed is that were much quieter and less harsh feeling. They feel almost soft compared to the PSS and I had to check the pressure a few times to make sure I wasn't running them too low.

Traction in the dry is very good, but when cornering hard they feel like they are about to let go, but they rarely do. Not a very comforting feeling, but once you get a feel for them it is not too bad. Straight line traction is great, it takes a lot to break them away, and I could break the PSS away easier.

In the wet they do quite well and better than I expected. The PSS seemed to be worse in the wet to me and I was never very confident with them, they lost traction all too easily, although it was gradual and not a sudden let go.

I ran them at an autocross last weekend and the fronts never lost traction, unlike the PSS which suffered from a lot of under steer and broke free very easily. The rears really held in there well too, again better than the PSS. However, when they did let go they totally let go and the back end would snap out hard. I found the PSS would let go much more gradually and give you more warning and time to correct. The PSS felt like they had less traction at the rear, but the way the Invo lets go suddenly is not as good as the PSS.

It is worth pointing out at the last autocross it was in 40s and the tires never warmed up. I have definitely felt an improvement in traction when they do get warm.

They will flat spot in the cold overnight. For the first few miles you will notice it. If you don't drive on them for a few days you will think you are running on square tires, until they warm up.

The car was lowered around the same time I put the Invos on and I also switched to a rear GT3 adjustable anti sway bar (middle setting). I also went up a size all around, from 235/35R19 and 295/30R19 to 245/35R19 and 305/30R19. These things will have effected the handling one way or another, so could be factors in the difference I am seeing between the two different tires.

It's too early to say much about the life of the tires, as they still look almost brand new with about 1600 miles on them.

In summary, they are quieter and give a smoother ride than the PSS. Straight line traction feels better. Cornering does not feel as confident and when they do let go you know about it, and not in a nice way. In the wet they give me more confidence than the PSS. Overall, they are not better than the PSS, but I don't think they are worse either, they are just different.

Would I buy them again? Too early to say, which basically means I am not sold on them enough to say there are not better choices. My initial inclination is to say they are a great street tire, but start to lack when you push them hard around corners, mainly because of how fast they do lose traction once you reach the limit.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:56 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the update and road/ax test information.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:57 PM
joelpirela
Racer

I am on my third set. I will never go back to anything else. The front lasted me 15,000 miles, while the backs where done at 8,000.

Now I am running 245 fronts and 325 backs.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:15 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Looking for new street tires for my GTS. I run Nitto NT01 for my track tires and they are the best on the track I've ever run...thinking about their street tires with the Invo.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:46 PM
PhilD
Pro

Originally Posted by mdrums
Looking for new street tires for my GTS. I run Nitto NT01 for my track tires and they are the best on the track I've ever run...thinking about their street tires with the Invo.
I don't think be disappointed with them for street use, as long you as you didn't expect them to perform like the NT01 They definitely feel more comfortable, quieter and smoother, on the street than the PSS. The only real issue would be the flat spotting when cold. If you live in a predominantly warm climate then this is way less of an issue, and as I said it clears up pretty quickly, in just a few miles, even when it is 32°F outside.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:50 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

How much do a set of Invo's run?
Old 02-13-2014, 08:04 PM
PhilD
Pro

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
How much do a set of Invo's run?
I paid $1100 with Discount Tires replacement policy thing, it would be under a $1000 without that.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:40 AM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 73 Posts

I had a set on my BMW and loved them. Quiet, comfy and grippy. They made a nice basketball like pinging sound as I drove them about town.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Bryan Misa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review. I am going to order a set for my 2005 tt S this week

Quick Reply: Nitto Invo- Short Term Review