Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Octane preference

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 08:04 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dudes...enough with the rocket science...none of you are. just put high test in the GAS TANK. and i agree some here should just own a honda that runs on regular.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:47 AM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

And some should pay the asking tiny donation to become Members not USERS!
Old 02-15-2014, 04:18 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 02-15-2014, 04:23 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dartmouth
And some should pay the asking tiny donation to become Members not USERS!
but then i would be like you hommie.....and not have enough money for high test
Old 02-15-2014, 04:57 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 583 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
Old 02-15-2014, 09:00 PM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default OT

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
Popcorn made my day! LOL I love that dude. I used to have him on my avatar but it was too distracting.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:50 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by extanker
but then i would be like you hommie.....and not have enough money for high test
Yea but at least I pay my dues here every year, while you suck off all the PAYING Rennlist members for the all the knowledge they share here.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:32 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by extanker
dudes...enough with the rocket science...none of you are.
You sure about that?
Old 02-16-2014, 12:32 PM
Jutskin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Minimum I would dare is 91.......it is the pinging you do not hear that can really hurt you. If you can hear it........get some higher octane in it ASAP......yikes.

After the TPC turbo goes in next month 93 will be my minimum......then maybe methanol injection.......and a supply of Torco handy for spirited driving tests.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:52 AM
Crossfire190
Advanced

Question

If your choices are 91 Octane and no ethanol or 93 octane with 10% ethanol... which is better to use and why?
Old 07-16-2014, 12:37 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossfire190
If your choices are 91 Octane and no ethanol or 93 octane with 10% ethanol... which is better to use and why?
93 + Ethanol - see this month's issue of Excellence Tech Notes page 34
Old 07-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Crossfire190
Advanced

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
93 + Ethanol - see this month's issue of Excellence Tech Notes page 34
I don't have access to that. Can you give a brief explanation?
Old 07-16-2014, 03:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossfire190
I don't have access to that. Can you give a brief explanation?
Without the benefit of having read the article, I'd hazard a guess because with the proper octane the DME can advance the ignition to the point the maximum mechanical energy is obtained from the chemical energy from burning the gasoline.

With the proper octane the fuel can be ignited and be burning fully and making maximum pressure in the cylinder when the piston/rod/crank is best positioned.

With a bicycle you can get a taste of what this means. Normally one senses when is the best time to apply downward pressure to the pedal to obtain the most benefit from one's pedaling effort.

Try (force yourself) to delay slightly applying this pressure to the pedal. You will immediately detect a drop in performance.

With the proper octane of fuel the engine's more efficient, tractability is at its best -- there is a saying while we buy horsepower we drive torque -- and a tractable vehicle is a more enjoyable to drive.

Fuel economy is as good as it can be and last but not least exhaust gas temperatures are lower than they would be with a lower octane of fuel so engine wear/tear is reduced.

The ethanol is a horrible fuel additive -- its greenness, or lack thereof, is my major reason for disliking its use as a fuel additive (extender/supplement) but it is rather harmless to the car's fuel system and engine and exhaust.

There are many of us say in CA who have used nothing but gasoline with an advertised 10% ethanol (though I understand refineries while they could go to 10% stopped at 7% to 8%) with no harm. My Boxster for example has covered over 281K miles and has all its original fuel system components but the fuel pump. The converters were fine save for one that had a loose brick. It worked most of the time save when the brick fell out of position. The other converter though had no loose brick and worked very well even after all those miles. Plug life has been good and O2 sensor life also has been good.

Thus while I can still *hate* ethanol for the dirty fuel it is (when its entire pollution footprint is taken into account) I can't find any other reason to hate it.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:17 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Here I have option of 94 octane with zero ethanol, and I use that all the time. Whenever I go down to WA, and I have to use 91 with ethanol, the car definitely loses power, knocks, and has worse gas mileage.

I simply don't understand the stupid rules, why not make it at least available in limited supply for cars that require it. I cannot even imagine how classic cars would run with such crap gas.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:51 PM
Crossfire190
Advanced

Originally Posted by Macster
Without the benefit of having read the article, I'd hazard a guess because with the proper octane the DME can advance the ignition to the point the maximum mechanical energy is obtained from the chemical energy from burning the gasoline.

With the proper octane the fuel can be ignited and be burning fully and making maximum pressure in the cylinder when the piston/rod/crank is best positioned.

With a bicycle you can get a taste of what this means. Normally one senses when is the best time to apply downward pressure to the pedal to obtain the most benefit from one's pedaling effort.

Try (force yourself) to delay slightly applying this pressure to the pedal. You will immediately detect a drop in performance.

With the proper octane of fuel the engine's more efficient, tractability is at its best -- there is a saying while we buy horsepower we drive torque -- and a tractable vehicle is a more enjoyable to drive.

Fuel economy is as good as it can be and last but not least exhaust gas temperatures are lower than they would be with a lower octane of fuel so engine wear/tear is reduced.

The ethanol is a horrible fuel additive -- its greenness, or lack thereof, is my major reason for disliking its use as a fuel additive (extender/supplement) but it is rather harmless to the car's fuel system and engine and exhaust.

There are many of us say in CA who have used nothing but gasoline with an advertised 10% ethanol (though I understand refineries while they could go to 10% stopped at 7% to 8%) with no harm. My Boxster for example has covered over 281K miles and has all its original fuel system components but the fuel pump. The converters were fine save for one that had a loose brick. It worked most of the time save when the brick fell out of position. The other converter though had no loose brick and worked very well even after all those miles. Plug life has been good and O2 sensor life also has been good.

Thus while I can still *hate* ethanol for the dirty fuel it is (when its entire pollution footprint is taken into account) I can't find any other reason to hate it.
Thank you for your response. Now, if I am experiencing better fuel mileage with the 91/No Ethanol than i am with the 93/+Ethanol... does that change your opinion as to which is better to use?

Quick Reply: Octane preference