Sponsored by:

997.2 PDK on an incline and in reverse QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 12:18 PM
doubleclutch09
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 PDK on an incline and in reverse QUESTIONS

Just got a 997.2 C2S with PDK - quick question. Noticed that when the car is in "drive" but sitting still on an incline - for example when I pull into my driveway which ramps upwards - that the car will roll back slowly unless you hit the brake or press the accelerator lightly to rev the engine a bit. So it appears that the PDK behaves more like a manual transmission than a true or traditional automatic tranny in that respect. Wanted to make sure this is normal for PDK Carreras and that there is not a problem with the transmission. On my BMW 330 coupe, for example, when in "drive" on an incline, the car never rolls back even when your foot is off the brake and you are not on the accelerator at all.

Also, when the PDK is in "reverse," I've noticed you have to give it a fair amount of gas before the car actually starts moving in reverse - just wanted to make sure that is normal for PDK p cars as well. Asking because, on a bimmer coupe for example, the car rolls back instantly the moment you touch the accelerator even slightly.

Would really appreciate insight/experience as to these issues. Thanks....
Old 02-07-2014, 12:23 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Since a PDK is a true clutch (a dual multi-plate wet clutch to be more precise), it will roll back when you have come to a stop on an incline via coasting instead of braking. Once you are stopped with the brake pressed in, the car will automatically hold the brake for 2 seconds after you release it to give you time to press the accelerator and depart. After that it will roll back (or sometimes forward if the incline isn't very steep).
Old 02-07-2014, 01:29 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ensure that it is not instantly rolling because there is a built in anti roll brake. If it does, that could indicate someting might be wrong. I sit at the gate to my home which is on an incline (would roll backward) and never notice it rolling backward when I release the brake to leave. Matter of fact I have let off for several seconds just to show my wife that it will not roll backward. The incline is probably 20 degrees.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:03 PM
doubleclutch09
Advanced

Thanks so much for the replies. Yes, I believe mine does have the 2 sec anti-roll brake active, so all appears ok.
On a separate issue, please let me know if this is normal as well:
Also, when the PDK is in "reverse" on level pavement I've noticed you have to give it a fair amount of gas before the car actually starts moving in reverse - just wanted to make sure that is normal for PDK p cars as well.

Thanks again.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:16 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleclutch09
... you have to give it a fair amount of gas before the car actually starts moving in reverse.
I had been wondering if that behavior was due to something I was doing. So that happens to at least two of us... I'd guess it is normal. Anyone else?
Old 02-07-2014, 04:02 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah it's normal. I've found that using sport mode can help make things a lot easier when you're parking on hills.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:33 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

yep - roll back on incline and minimal creep in reverse seems to be normal response for 1st gen pdk
Old 02-08-2014, 12:04 PM
doubleclutch09
Advanced

Thank you for all the replies. Very helpful. Glad to know that such quirks are normal for PDK.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:07 PM
djskimo
Instructor

Originally Posted by StormRune
I had been wondering if that behavior was due to something I was doing. So that happens to at least two of us... I'd guess it is normal. Anyone else?
happens to me. but i have 2012 pdk. Is that "gen1" ? or "gen2"? (sorry have no idea what those are)
Old 02-08-2014, 01:53 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your car is 991 with pdk then it should be gen 2. I am not sure if the 2012 997's are gen 2. I would suspect that all 997's are gen 1.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:26 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got a 997.2 C2S with PDK - quick question. Noticed that when the car is in "drive" but sitting still on an incline - for example when I pull into my driveway which ramps upwards - that the car will roll back slowly unless you hit the brake or press the accelerator lightly to rev the engine a bit. So it appears that the PDK behaves more like a manual transmission than a true or traditional automatic tranny in that respect. Wanted to make sure this is normal for PDK Carreras and that there is not a problem with the transmission. On my BMW 330 coupe, for example, when in "drive" on an incline, the car never rolls back even when your foot is off the brake and you are not on the accelerator at all.

Also, when the PDK is in "reverse," I've noticed you have to give it a fair amount of gas before the car actually starts moving in reverse - just wanted to make sure that is normal for PDK p cars as well. Asking because, on a bimmer coupe for example, the car rolls back instantly the moment you touch the accelerator even slightly.

Would really appreciate insight/experience as to these issues. Thanks....
"So it appears that the PDK behaves more like a manual transmission than a true or traditional automatic tranny in that respect"

You will discover the truth of this in many ways as you continue to play with it.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:34 AM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

It takes time to learn how to drive the PDK; becoming one with it. The lag between the gas peddle and the transmission moving the car. It's often frustrating in the beginning trying to figure out these lags and jerks forward. However there is a solution. Drive the car and the PDK will learn your driving style and the driver also needs to understand you aren't driving your standard automatic. You will need to figure out how to control the pressure you apply to the gas peddle and when to apply more or less. It does have that small lag when applying pressure to when the clutch engages. It's more a manual that morphs into a auto. Use the Sport mode. Forget about leaving it in auto. Let it warm, drop it in Sport and drive. The higher rpms allows you to be driving the same (pdk) Porsche car that the manual Porsche you drove was. Fast, quick, reactive, exciting.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:40 PM
MY997
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, when the PDK is in "reverse" on level pavement I've noticed you have to give it a fair amount of gas before the car actually starts moving in reverse - just wanted to make sure that is normal for PDK p cars as well.
This is a very good question but let me ask it another way...this happened this morning after the car sat in the garage for 1.5 days (please no garage queen comments as my 997 is a DD). I started the car fine and after a few seconds (like i normally do) I put it into reverse and like you all have said u have to kind of blip the gas pdeal but this morning nothing...so I looked and made sure I had it in R by going to neutral and then back to reverse and again I blip the gas pedal and nothing....so then I pushed harder and the car kind of jerked (made a loud clicking sound) and started to back up. It has never done this before and it has sat in the garage for more than 1.5 days (when I was moving it sat for a week)...is this what u are all referring to??? When I got to work I back into my spot and the reverse worked fine...do I have a concern? Thanks.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:06 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MY997
This is a very good question but let me ask it another way...this happened this morning after the car sat in the garage for 1.5 days (please no garage queen comments as my 997 is a DD). I started the car fine and after a few seconds (like i normally do) I put it into reverse and like you all have said u have to kind of blip the gas pdeal but this morning nothing...so I looked and made sure I had it in R by going to neutral and then back to reverse and again I blip the gas pedal and nothing....so then I pushed harder and the car kind of jerked (made a loud clicking sound) and started to back up. It has never done this before and it has sat in the garage for more than 1.5 days (when I was moving it sat for a week)...is this what u are all referring to??? When I got to work I back into my spot and the reverse worked fine...do I have a concern? Thanks.
This sounds more like your brakes were wet when you parked the car.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:15 PM
MY997
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrakingBad
This sounds more like your brakes were wet when you parked the car.
BOOM!...I washed the 997 Saturday and pulled it into the garage to finish the detailing and avoid the rain. The brakes were rusty looking all weekend but I knew it would come off Monday when I drove it to work...dang good call BrakingBad! Whew..it had to be something easy as I have had zero problems or indications that somehting was up...thanks

Quick Reply: 997.2 PDK on an incline and in reverse QUESTIONS