Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N AIR INTAKE #63-7001 or 57-7001 question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 05:14 PM
Dukec4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default K&N AIR INTAKE #63-7001 or 57-7001 question...

I have a 2007 4S and read somewhere that these K&N air intakes will fit. These intakes are speced for the GT3. http://www.knfilters.com/search/apps...T3&engine=3.6L
Has anyone installed either of these? Thanks....
Old 02-05-2014, 05:21 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Read this thread...apparently the K&N impacts performance in a negative way. I was going to get one but decided against it. Some valuable information on here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...o-filters.html
Old 02-05-2014, 05:45 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't comment on the fit of the 57-7001, but I had 57-7000, the C2 intake. First off, it does not fit quite right, one of the brackets requires bending and a bit of force is needed here and there to get it installed. I suspect that it is not suitable for a 997, only a 996.

Once you have it installed, the first thing you notice is the sound. Coupled with a Fister exhaust mod, it sounds great, a really good, albeit loud, sound. That is were the use of the word "great" stops.

During the first drive you immediately notice that the car lugs at low RPMs and feels decidedly less powerful. Once you get above 2500 or so RPM this disappears. At first I put this down to the ECU having to learn the new airflow, and in truth it did improve over the next 20-50 miles. In fact it improved enough that I really could no longer remember what it was like before putting the intake on.

After a month or so I put the stock intake back on, and immediately noticed a difference. The low end lugging and lack of power had gone, the car felt faster and I even had a passenger ask what had it I done to it to make it accelerate faster.

Now some of that would have been the reverse of what happened before, as the ECU was going back through the learning process again. Whatever it adjusted before to make it run better, it was now adjusting back to the stock airflow., and it almost seems like the initial improvement of performance dropped off a little. However, I'm confident in the fact that the K&N does not improve performance and actually decreases it.

PS I have a 57-7000 kit if you want to buy one
Old 02-05-2014, 06:28 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something is very fishy with their dyno chart. It states the mileage is the exact same between the before and after run.

Anyone who performs lots of dyno testing on Porsche's knows that the HP & Torque can vary greatly between the first run and subsequent runs. Typically the very first run makes the least power, and the power improves the more the car is run, up to it's peak - then the power will start to come down. For an intake comparison like we are talking here, the baseline used & the modified run used should not have the same starting mileage. This tells me they are doctoring their dyno results/test procedure to favor their product, or they just don't know how to properly dyno test cars.

After performing my own testing on K&N's 996/997 Carrera intake, and witnessing others have the same results, I have significant doubts as to the power claims they make for this single cone filter GT3 intake.

Quick Reply: K&N AIR INTAKE #63-7001 or 57-7001 question...