Sponsored by:

997.2 And My Weight Loss Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 11:13 AM
sswalters
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 And My Weight Loss Challenge

Hi guys. First time poster and multi-week reader. Before I get into my post, I want to make it clear that this has nothing to do with logic or responsibility, and everything to do with emotion and rationalization.

I currently have a BMW 335i M Sport Convertible under lease through this September. So 8 payments left. However, I have it bad for purchasing a 2009 911 S Cab, and I've been wracking my brain for ways to convince my wife that turning the BMW in early and getting the Porsche could be a reasonable decision. She is all on board me getting what I want to drive, but is rightfully dubious of my proposal to pay 8 months of BMW payments in advance and just give the car up. Even my own financial mind knows this is foolishness. But for some irrational reason, I am not to be denied.

So, as we all know, creativity is born of necessity. And it occurred to me, what is more important than my health, right? Why not kills two birds with one stone? I'm 5'11" and currently 220 lbs. My closet is organized by clothing size, and unfortunately I'm wearing the big boy clothes at the far right side. What if I set a goal that if I get to 190, THEN I could turn the BMW in and buy the Porsche? This process would naturally take time, and have the beneficial side of effect of additional BMW payments while I get after my weight loss program. Perfect huh? What better motivation would a man need?

So last night at dinner, after a few cocktails, the conversation magically turned to cars. The negotiation went down like a Middle Eastern gold souk haggle.

Me: "20 pounds and I get authorization"
Her: "30 pounds and wait until you make all the payments"
Me: "25 pounds and wait until May 1st"
Her: "30 pounds and August 1st"
Me: "25 pounds and June 1st"
Her: "July 1st"
Me: "30 pounds and June 1st"
Her: "Deal!"

She is such a good sport and we both know this is a financially silly bet with some built in healthy motivation for me to get my weight in check.

So, if there is any interest, I'd be happy to share my progress with the weight part of the process, and would really love to tap into the expertise of the group here as I narrow down my P-car requirements and bird dog the exact ride.

Have really enjoyed reading up here and look forward to joining the club.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:30 AM
joey c
Pro

lol..good luck its worth it on ALL levels
Old 02-01-2014, 11:38 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

swapalease.com, u have 2 months to find a transferee
Old 02-01-2014, 11:58 AM
Ryan M Hartman
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 29 Posts

That's awesome! Good for you! Yes - please share your progress, this will be fun to watch.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:00 PM
Cbst09
Racer

I think that's a wonderful plan. It's clearly a win-win, you need to film updates and post to youtube. This could be the next reality TV hit. keep us posted on the results and good luck!
Old 02-01-2014, 01:10 PM
ebb
Track Day

Hey, great plan, but you don't need to pay out 8 payments on your lease to get out. Just call and find the payoff, you may be surprised that your car could be worth more than the payoff. After having a half dozen or so leases I only turned one it. Now if it is the case with your lease that you can't exit early, they probably exist, you can always transfer it.

Call the lien holder and get the details, then lose the 30lbs too but save some money.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:33 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Cool plan and great wife!

Here's something to consider: Porsches, even though you've homed in on a 2009 Cab S (a great choice BTW), come in quite a large variety of colors and option combinations... more than any other car you've ever seen. Until 2011 (I think), Porsches had no option packages, so every option was picked individually and there are many. Once you decide on the options/colors/mileage that are important and optional, it can often take a few months to find the car for you. The search time is less if you are more flexible.

This group is excellent at helping people zoom in on option choices if you give us a good idea of what is vitally important to you, what you don't want, and what is nice but optional. We will provide probably more advice than you ever wanted. To me, its a big part of the fun figuring out what I want and comparing it to the reasonable list of what I can probably get. I think you'll find it a blast too. Make sure to test drive a couple of configurations early on to help you decide. (Personally, I'm living the PDK even though I was always a stick guy before. My surprise favorite new option that I stumbled into in the new car is the fan-ventilated seats. A nice thing to have in Texas heat. It may not be so important for a Cab though).

Best wishes on the diet!
Old 02-01-2014, 02:26 PM
sswalters
Intermediate

Thanks for the early responses guys. BMW really subsidizes their leases so the trade in value is fully $10k below the lease payoff. I don't know how they make money. So, I'm likely stuck with early payoff or perhaps the swapalease.com idea. My payments are very low for a loaded car, but I wonder it anyone would want an 8 month lease. It's certainly worth a look at this idea. So far, I've driven and S and 4S cab. One with manual and one with PDK. I'd prefer the manual, but we are in Atlanta and I have no real interest in being stuck in traffic with a stick. The PDK was very, very nice too. Great sounds and good shift points I thought. I think I'd probably want the sports chrono plus also. Bose too. Those are probably my three first requirements in my mind.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:32 PM
sswalters
Intermediate

Name:  image-2345682428.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  454.4 KB

Anyone want a nice 8 month lease on a 335 M Sport Converitible? $600 per month.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:57 PM
mk8k8
6th Gear

Good luck!! I recently lost 65 pounds and acquired a '08 C2S, both have really worked out well!!! let me know if i can offer help.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:30 AM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In my opinion it's a really great way to motivate yourself! I personally have gained 10lbs since I got my 911 and wish that I hadn't... I always think about buying a GT3 or Turbo but then I think I need to lose 20 pounds or so first so I can FEEL good in my new car so I totally can relate.

Mk8k8 - care to share what you did to lose 65 pounds?!
Old 02-02-2014, 03:21 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

In short.. i use to be 160lbs back a few years ago when in college...
gained a lot of weight since little exercise since no time now in the working 12 hour days.

friend and i had a challenge who can lose more weight. we downloaded myfitness pal on iphone,
i lost 55 lbs ( down to 143lb) at the moment.. with just watching my diet in 4 months.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:03 AM
zer026T
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good for you. Myfitnesspal helped me shed 20 lbs in 4 months. What worked best for me was tracking daily calorie intake with the app which ensured I was only a regular sized portion at meals. Then drink lots of water, stop snacking in the evenings (I was never really hungry anyway), and get some form of regular exercise - I just walked around the block for 20-30min (once or twice a day). The lbs melted off week by week.

Keep us posted!
Old 02-02-2014, 08:26 AM
patpetillo
Instructor

Sswalters - I believe that many porsche owners are driven to exceed their goals. I think it is a great idea to lose some weight in the process. I recommend that you get a jawbone up24 to help track your progress.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:03 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 573 Posts

Great idea. Tip - Get SC with PDK. PDK is literally terrible without it. Altho, you can retrofit after if you find the perfect car without it..

Quick Reply: 997.2 And My Weight Loss Challenge