Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What long trips have you taken and how did your Porsche perform?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 08:29 PM
Volnomad
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Just completed a 3950 mile trip from Seattle to Columbia, SC in my Targa 4S. There is a thread on this forum summarizing the trip with lots of pix. No trouble with the car at all.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:47 PM
TIMBERHOLLOW9310
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Favorite for me is the "back road" Dallas to Austin or Fredericksburg. Lots of 2 lane, lite traffic and 75 mph limit. You can hit triples with good site lines.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:51 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 276 Posts

Just finished a +2,000 miler in October. Longest road trip yet. All others were long day drives except for the drive home after purchasing it.

We really enjoyed the trip from Maryland to Florida and back. Took some back roads and some highway. I recall only dealing with one moron. I do recall wishing that I had bought and applied a windshield film protection. Lots of rocks and they are coming from a new direction. Many of the trucks now have air deflectors under the trailer and when a stone hits them they tend to find their way towards the next lane's traffic. With a taller vehicle that never seemed to be an issue but down low, after i took my first stone, I then made a point of clearing the side of the truck just as quickly as I cleared the rear. I have full front end and mirror film.

Observations and notes (just my opinion):
- Thorough check of fluids and tire pressures.
- pack the tire repair kit (described in the forums) and air compressor. Tire condition? Just imagine yourself roadside and you need to get that nail out, remove the wheel, get the nail out, fix the hole and reinflate.
- How old is the battery?
- I packed for a three week vacation.
- I packed in such a way that the driver always had full view to the rear through the car.
- RainX the glass. Windshield cleaner and cloth.
- a spray bottle of meguiars last touch detailer and a few microfiber clothes. Glad I did.
- pack in multiple small bags. Makes it easier to pack
- I used the the hooks behind the headrest of the seat to hang a few clothes from. Just make a small loop of parachute cord for the clothes to go through and the other end in the hook. I took a piece of scrap black leather to make a pad to protect the headrest from the hangars
- small cooler for drinks and snacks
- plastic grocery bags for trash
- double check all insurance and registration cards, and license plate stickers
- SiriusXM up to date
- favorite radar detector operational

And one last very important thing...SMILE...I MEAN SMILE LARGE. We had a blast. had some wonderful conversations with folks who were very curious about the car. Many thumbs up from other drivers. WE drove the Tail of the Dragon too. Fun.

Good luck!!!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:23 PM
John in Bismarck
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our 2006 911 coupe is in hibernation right now, but my wife and I are looking forward to many long trips in it in the coming years, particularly since we both plan to retire this summer. We bought it two years ago, took delivery in Jacksonville, and drove it about 2500 miles home to Bismarck. We drove west to the Texas panhandle and then north on US 83 to Bismarck. The car was wonderful. My wife had most of the front trunk for her stuff and my bag was in the rear seats. The ergonomics of the car are terrific. Last June, we drove from Bismarck to Traverse City for our first Porsche Parade. After retirement, we plan to start by seeing south Texas, probably in late September or early October…after it cools off in Texas and before it snows in North Dakota!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:48 PM
mk8k8
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive my 2008 997.1s from northern california to southern california at least 2x a month and daily driving. Driving. Awesome every time!!!! Bullet proof "knock on wood"
Old 01-28-2014, 10:59 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

SW Ontario to Watkins Glen, up and down the finger lakes then back.

The car has great ability to feel somewhat dominant on the road, handling, power and precision for hours at a time feels "just great.............
Old 01-29-2014, 01:24 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Just after taking delivery I logged over 3200 miles in the course of 3-4 weeks. Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and down into southern Italy. Once in North America, I routinely run up Route 1 to Oregon (1100 miles one way) or sometimes take the Route 5 option for 850 miles each way.

The only thing I caution you on is the Targa 4. When you got for an AWD 997 you lose a good part of your front trunk. Storage space is always a bit on the tight side so going to an AWD makes it worse.

They are highly reliable, however.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:04 AM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Just after taking delivery I logged over 3200 miles in the course of 3-4 weeks. Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and down into southern Italy. Once in North America, I routinely run up Route 1 to Oregon (1100 miles one way) or sometimes take the Route 5 option for 850 miles each way.

The only thing I caution you on is the Targa 4. When you got for an AWD 997 you lose a good part of your front trunk. Storage space is always a bit on the tight side so going to an AWD makes it worse.

They are highly reliable, however.

How many miles have you got on her these days, Edgy?
Old 01-29-2014, 10:05 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by tbrom

What adventures have you had in your 997 and how did you like the car? Did it have enough storage space for long trips. How did it perform, did it ever let you down or leave you stranded? How was the interior size for 2 travelers and luggage? Was it comfortable enough for long trips and daily driving? What was the most fun trip you've had driving???
Tim, congrats on the retirement and desire to use a 911 in one of the ways Herr Porsche intended!

You'll find a trip report here that I posted during a trip from VA > CA.

To date that was the most fun that I had in the 997 although quite frankly, I'm discovering that even a trip to TJs can be exciting, especially since the closest one to me is 20+ miles away!

My advise is to travel light, do laundry frequently, leave the golf clubs at home, stay off of the Interstate highways, eat only at non-chain restaurants, religiously use a radar/laser detector, do not make route plans more than a day out, bring your AAA+ card (mine was not used), and raise your hand when you get to the Pt. Reyes area!

Oh ya, if your better half gets antsy to return home, drop her off at the closest airport and continue on.

SAFE TRAVELS!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 10:16 AM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

"Wow! That must have been one wicked trip. "

Yes, its was exciting, autostrata over the Brennerpass, suddenly snow and slippery roads, then into Germany and free speed, Italian coffe and a coke every 2 hours and minimum of food top keep myself alert.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:32 AM
bdiamond001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Back in the day I drove my 914 to LA from Phila and back a few times. A few minor issues along the way. my favorite was using a long wire over my shoulder to manipulate the throttle in my mid engine.
Now its mostly back and forth to the Jersey shore. It's an easy 1 and 1/2 hour trip that I look forward to.
The 997 with all the tech is a pleasure
Old 01-29-2014, 10:45 AM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by david
... to travel light, do laundry frequently, leave the golf clubs at home, stay off of the Interstate highways, eat only at non-chain restaurants, religiously use a radar/laser detector, do not make route plans more than a day out, bring your AAA+ card (mine was not used), ...SAFE TRAVELS!!!
+1 Great advice!

Also, while your spouse is foo-fooing to get ready for the day, after you've had your hotel's complimentary breakfast, just walk out tothe car and get it foo-fooed for the day. You will meet some neat people and their cars.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:52 AM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
Wow! That must have been one wicked trip.
Originally Posted by CAVU
+1 Great advice!

Also, while your spouse is foo-fooing to get ready for the day, after you've had your hotel's complimentary breakfast, just walk out tothe car and get it foo-fooed for the day. You will meet some neat people and their cars.

My trip was a bit like that and still no I went to chain resturants and kept myslef on the bigger roads. It was risk for ice on the roads so big roads equals lower risk... But very very little luggage
Old 01-29-2014, 11:55 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 225 Posts

Toronto to Detroit and back a few weeks ago for the Int'l Auto Show.

Flawless! Fun too...ended up putting on 863kms door to door with 2 tanks of gas and this running on winter tires!
Old 01-29-2014, 12:17 PM
Loud223
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Just curious,
Did you have to go with a smaller carry bag for the clubs to fit? I'm assuming they have to go in the back seat. I usually leave my clubs in the car from March till Dec, but with the 997 I was trying to come up with a different plan.
Good luck on the trip. Sounds like a blast.
Thanks
Lou

Quick Reply: What long trips have you taken and how did your Porsche perform?