Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What long trips have you taken and how did your Porsche perform?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:26 PM
tbrom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What long trips have you taken and how did your Porsche perform?

Hello Everyone,

I haven't posted much and am just getting back to the Rennlist because I am looking in earnest for my next 911 (have had 3 previously). It is to be a 2009 Targa 4. I don't believe I've started any threads and I have been reading for weeks now and have made a pretty good dent in the list of posts. The reason I've chosen to start this thread is that I intend to use the Porsche I'm lucky enough to find in my price range to travel this wonderful country of ours. There are so many places to see and so many twisty roads to cruise! I am really excited about getting on the road so I thought I'd ask you all how that's gone for you.

What adventures have you had in your 997 and how did you like the car? Did it have enough storage space for long trips. How did it perform, did it ever let you down or leave you stranded? How was the interior size for 2 travelers and luggage? Was it comfortable enough for long trips and daily driving? What was the most fun trip you've had driving???

I intend, when that day finally comes that I can show the pictures of my new ride to the group, to take it from FL where I live to the west coast and from one end of the PC Hway all the way up through northern CA into Oregon and Washington and maybe/probably into BC. I've heard that BC is beautiful. I went to CA about 3 years ago and drove from SF down to Monterey and Pebble Beach (both my wife and I are golfers - so we'll be taking clubs and luggage) and then over to Yosemite and back to SF. Went to Muir Woods - what a great experience and want more of that up north of Eureka to Humboldt where the big tree forests are.

So many places and now that I'm retired, my wife and I are ready to see as much as we can and hopefully stay married.....lol - travel can be stressful. So please recount your travel agenda - where you found roads that were particularly fun and those cool out of the way places you "discovered" on your trip. This could be a wonderful travelogue of the US and a "road map" as it were for others to follow to "find America". Ways that your found to stay "stress free" with your wife or significant other on long travels - those tips can help....:-)

Thanks to everyone for reading and hopefully offering up a lot of great fun info for the current, would be (soon to be) Porsche owner and traveler. Looking forward to your posts and any pictures you'd care to share!

Tim
Old 01-28-2014, 02:07 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Drove from Toronto, ON to Jackson, Michigan (500kms each way), she performed like a champ. First long trip after buying the car in summer last year. Brought back a set of 19" rims (without tires)...one in the frunk, two in the back seat and one in the passenger seat.

Next trip was Toronto, ON to Indianapolis, IN to Columbus, OH back to Toronto (1800kms total) and brought back 3 winter tires, had to ship one. Again...she performed like a champ!

Will not drive her non-stop (except bio and gas breaks) for longer than 8 hours because the tight seating position wears you down and driving when tired is akin to driving drunk. But I love her for long drives even on boring straight highways because I throw her into 6th on cruise and get close to 550 kms to a tank of gas.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:26 PM
pv355
Advanced

I drove my 08 C2S from Houston, TX to Portland, OR over a two month road trip. I drove from Portland to Midland, TX almost non-stop on the way back (i was homesick and in a weird driving mood). I had the most fun on Hwy 6 in Utah. If you don't plan on doing much "spirited" driving, I recommend dialing down the alignment chamber. On the trip I rarely took a corner hard yet at 15k miles the inside of my rear tires were almost gone. Otherwise, I had zero issues.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:37 PM
Schpee007
Pro

Drove my C2S from the dealer in Dallas to my home in the Denver area. 800 miles over two days. Flawless. Even averaged 26 MPG for the trip going 75-80 most of the time.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:56 PM
DHC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Outstanding! I drove my car from Cleveland, OH to Atlanta (8 hours?) and it was a champ. These cars are very, very nice on the interstate. Highly stable and the seats are fantastic ... nicely supportive.

Your 997 will be great on the road, and has tons of room for two people and luggage. Putting the rear seats down results in a lot of usable space.

The only caution I have for you is the lack of a spare tire.

Bring a camera and take lots of pictures.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:31 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 989 Likes on 512 Posts

Cincinnati, OH to VIR, VIR to Long Island, Long Island to Cincinnati, OH.

Went to VIR for a DE and took the long way home to swap out a set of seats. No issues other than traffic and pot holes in NY. Total trip was about 1700 miles. Seriously considering a drive to Red Rock in May.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Drove mine from Modena in Italy to Stockholm Sweden. Magic trip!
Old 01-28-2014, 06:26 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Henrik964
Drove mine from Modena in Italy to Stockholm Sweden. Magic trip!
Wow! That must have been one wicked trip.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:34 PM
Captsteve123
Instructor

Drove to Daytona for the 24 Hour race, 1 hour 30 minutes, back roads and 90 mph! Does that count as a long trip one way?
Old 01-28-2014, 07:38 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Drove from MA to Western NC, I would do it again in a second, car ran great. I drove 13-14 hours straight both ways and was comfortable as can be. I have the Sport seats as well.

This is one reason I love this car, it is so versatile.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:43 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

I've made maybe 10 or more trips from Salt Lake City to Wichita, Kansas in modern Porsches, 1 Boxster, and 2 different 911's, and much preferred those vehicles to my LX 470 for making the trip.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:50 PM
jvc300
AutoX

I've taken my 2007 997.1 a trip South Florida to Charleston , SC and back. Great drive and the car was flawless with good MPG to boot.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:55 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Vancouver to Toronto (bought the car in Van and live in TO)

4 days, 3 guys. Me and my son and his friend, both 6 footers. I drove the whole way and one of them jammed in the back rotating every few hours. Stopped at dusk in whatever boonie *** town we were in, a few beers, cigar, bed and then on the road each morning

Awesome trip. Coming across Canada you get it all - mountains, lakes, prairies, northern Superior etc

4800 kms, no issues

Have also been Toronto to Milwaukee a couple of times and many golf trips. The only caution would be if that you are taking 2 sets of clubs, which is possible across the back seats, is that you will really need to pack lightly as all you have left is the frunk (and that's not a lot in my C4S!)

Fantastic road trip car. Enjoy!!!
Old 01-28-2014, 07:58 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had my car put on an exotic enclosed carrier and brought it all the way from Oxnard, CA to Naples, FL. The very next day the serpentine belt went. Can you imagine if I had chosen to drive the car home?!

Anyways, I have DRIVEN from Naples to Atlanta and back. 10.5 hours and it's a no brainer. I mean really, just hop on I75 and you're done.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:05 PM
makemann
Racer

Since I got mine unloaded from the carrier 24 days ago, I've been able to drive it twice: four miles to the dealer and four miles back to get its first major service completed. It's been too darn cold and snowy.

Quick Reply: What long trips have you taken and how did your Porsche perform?