Sponsored by:

Painting 997 carrera S II wheels platinum

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 05:38 PM
colbyp7
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TexC4S
I have a basalt 4S and thinking of painting my standard silver Carrera S II rims to a gunmetal grey colour same as the new 991 rims.
I think its called platinum?
Anyone attempted this before and has photos?
Cheers.
Did you ever paint your Carrera S II wheels gun metal? That's exactly what I'm thinking right now. Thanks!
Old 08-29-2019, 05:40 PM
larrysb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

There was a special edition 997.2 sold in Norway only as I recall that had the "satin platinum" special paint color Carrera S-II wheels. Very, very sharp looking on a black car.

I looked into a bit, it is a special Glasurit color and process with a satin top coat, apparently, difficult to get right. Would have loved to do it, but eventually came across a set of good S-II wheels and just went with that to rid myself of the curb rash that came with my car.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:43 PM
colbyp7
Advanced

Originally Posted by larrysb
There was a special edition 997.2 sold in Norway only as I recall that had the "satin platinum" special paint color Carrera S-II wheels. Very, very sharp looking on a black car.

I looked into a bit, it is a special Glasurit color and process with a satin top coat, apparently, difficult to get right. Would have loved to do it, but eventually came across a set of good S-II wheels and just went with that to rid myself of the curb rash that came with my car.
Were you the OP who was thinking of powder/painting the CS2 wheels? You have any pics to share? I know this is an old thread but I literally cannot find any pictures of platinum or gunmetal CS2 wheels anywhere on the Internet!
Old 08-29-2019, 07:30 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

My Carrera S IIs are factory painted Basalt Black to match my paint, but my winter wheels are similar and painted what BBS calls anthracite gray. Hopefully that's a bit of what you're looking for in terms of other options for the wheel color on the car.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:14 PM
colbyp7
Advanced

Originally Posted by GoldenGorilla
My Carrera S IIs are factory painted Basalt Black to match my paint, but my winter wheels are similar and painted what BBS calls anthracite gray. Hopefully that's a bit of what you're looking for in terms of other options for the wheel color on the car.

Thanks for those! I have never considered this before but I agree that paint matching wheels to the body actually looks pretty good especially if you leave the polished lip like you did. Mine is Meteor Grey. I have turbo II wheels but I'm leaning toward the Carrera S IIs with something like satin titanium or gunmetal. By chance have a squared up shot of the Carrera S IIs? Appreciate it!
Old 08-29-2019, 08:21 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Originally Posted by colbyp7
By chance have a squared up shot of the Carrera S IIs? Appreciate it!
Sure. Cleaned up right after I applied a ceramic finish.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:56 PM
colbyp7
Advanced

Sure. Cleaned up right after I applied a ceramic finish.

Looks awesome. Did the powder coating shop machine the lip too? That completes the look perfectly, especially with black on black. I'm going to go satin graphite with the machined lip on my meteor grey C2S. Excited for the end result.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:12 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Mine are a factory painted wheel. Its on the build sheet. They are painted and clear coated. And the clear got scratched up pretty bad by the prior owners. One of my winter projects will be to compound and polish them back to health with felt wheels on my Dremel and then ceramic coat them. Likewise, I'm going to strip the wax and ceramic coat my BBSs before they go back on.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:15 PM
colbyp7
Advanced

Mine are a factory painted wheel. Its on the build sheet. They are painted and clear coated. And the clear got scratched up pretty bad by the prior owners. One of my winter projects will be to compound and polish them back to health with felt wheels on my Dremel and then ceramic coat them. Likewise, I'm going to strip the wax and ceramic coat my BBSs before they go back on.
Wow. They definitely have a machined lip, didn't know that was an option for wheels. That's exactly what I'm looking for! Those are a Carerra S II wheel correct? Thanks for the info
Old 08-29-2019, 11:25 PM
colbyp7
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics
This set refinished for a customer.... Just leaving it here...
What style wheel is that exactly? Thanks!
Old 08-29-2019, 11:34 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Here's mine on original 997.2 wheels

...powder coated black gloss with a ruby red powder coated stripe.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:33 PM
larrysb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

Found it: It was a special edition for the Dutch importer, the PON edition 997 4S.

The following users liked this post:
colbyp7 (09-02-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 05:01 PM
colbyp7
Advanced

Do you have the part number or any option information from the build sheet? I talked to a powder coating shop and they said that the lip is actually painted silver from the factory. Does it look like that on yours? Really struggling to find a factory set of these for some odd reason! Yours are a gloss black correct? Thanks for all the info very much appreciate it
Old 08-30-2019, 05:11 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Here's what mine look like...

Old 08-30-2019, 07:19 PM
colbyp7
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dartmouth
Here's mine on original 997.2 wheels

...powder coated black gloss with a ruby red powder coated stripe.
Those are factory wheels? I'm trying to figure out if the let his machine or it's painted. If yours are factory then maybe they do paint around the perimeter? I would assume it would be either polished or machine as the majority of the black Carrera wheels have bright silver around the perimeter... you have a part number for them?

Quick Reply: Painting 997 carrera S II wheels platinum